london free press article re petrie

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

richard

london free press article re petrie

Post by richard »

Very unfortunate article about former hockey player Petrie. Somewhere, some how this former OHA player needed help and did not get it. It is hard to believe this player did not get help as early as 16 years of age. I sincerely hope this is just a one off and OHA and Managers of these teams are more actively involved with these young men.
cpt obvious

Re: london free press article re petrie

Post by cpt obvious »

richard wrote: I sincerely hope this is just a one off and OHA and Managers of these teams are more actively involved with these young men.
s

One-off? No disrespect, but where have you been the past 3 or 4 years? How many NHL enforcers have committed suicide or have come out and spoke about their daily struggles? Last year at this time it was an article on former Knight and OHL player Rob Frid taking a cocktail of meds to get through the simplest daily routine.
We are hearing about this far to regularly in the news these days and I'm certain the OHA isn't doing anything more than they did 30 years ago. IMO we are years, maybe decades away from there being a preventive program in place for these young players.
The only good that can come from this article is that it opens the door for more former enforcers to come out and share their stories and really shine a light on the problem that plagues I'm guessing 10s of thousands of former Jr. and Pro players across Canada everyday.
The sad thing, this guys son is a fighter in Jr hockey right now....how do you not step in as a dad and say enough is enough son?
Thoughts?