YETMAN'S LACROSSE GOAL

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Marcie

YETMAN'S LACROSSE GOAL

Post by Marcie »

Fans at the Chatham/Strathroy game at the WMMC Saturday night were treated to a lacrosse-style goal by Maroon Bryce Yetman. It was amazing to see. I've seen them on TV/video before but never live. He scooped the puck up at the side on the goal and deposited it in the top corner OVER the crossbar. Any lacrosse goal I've ever seen comes in from either of the goal post sides. not over top of the crossbar. The Rockets protested saying that as soon as Yetman's stick with the puck on it was over the height of the crossbar it should have been whistled down for a high stick. They had better check their rule book. Had Yetman lifted the puck on his stick higher than his shoulder, it would have been whistled down. It was good goal and very exciting to see. Well done!!
Dr. Pepper

Re: YETMAN'S LACROSSE GOAL

Post by Dr. Pepper »

Marcie wrote:Fans at the Chatham/Strathroy game at the WMMC Saturday night were treated to a lacrosse-style goal by Maroon Bryce Yetman. It was amazing to see. I've seen them on TV/video before but never live. He scooped the puck up at the side on the goal and deposited it in the top corner OVER the crossbar. Any lacrosse goal I've ever seen comes in from either of the goal post sides. not over top of the crossbar. The Rockets protested saying that as soon as Yetman's stick with the puck on it was over the height of the crossbar it should have been whistled down for a high stick. They had better check their rule book. Had Yetman lifted the puck on his stick higher than his shoulder, it would have been whistled down. It was good goal and very exciting to see. Well done!!

You are incorrect the goal as you describe it should not have counted.

HIGH-STICKING THE PUCK

When judging if a puck has been contacted illegally with a high-stick, the officials shall separate the plays in two categories, as there’s different guidelines for both of them. The first category is what we could define as “high-sticking” the puck to a teammate or themselves. A player shall be allowed to contact the puck with his stick in order to make a pass to him self or to a teammate as long as the contact happens below the height of his shoulders.

The second category of “high-sticking” the puck is when judging if the puck as been illegally played on the scoring of a goal. In fact, while players can contact the puck up to their shoulders when playing the puck anywhere on the ice, the same height reference is not used when a puck is propelled into the net. An apparent goal scored by an attacking player who strikes the puck with his stick carried above the height OF THE CROSSBAR of the goal shall NOT be allowed. The determining factor here is where the puck makes contact with the stick. This is also true when an attacking player cause the puck to enter the opponent’s goal by contacting the puck above the height of the crossbar, either directly OR deflected off ANY player or official. The only exemption is when the puck on its way to the net after been contacted above the crossbar but below the shoulders height, is either re-played or deflected by the stick of this player or by any teammate’s stick before entering the net.

If the puck makes contact with the stick at or below the level of the crossbar and enters the goal, this goal shall be allowed. A goal scored by a DEFENDING player who strikes the puck with his stick carried above the height of the crossbar into his OWN goal shall be allowed.
FedUpSeenEnough

Post by FedUpSeenEnough »

It was still pretty ☺
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

"An apparent goal scored by an attacking player who strikes the puck with his stick carried above the height OF THE CROSSBAR of the goal shall NOT be allowed. The determining factor here is where the puck makes contact with the stick."

I believe what the refs were looking at was the determining factor of WHERE the puck makes contact with the stick. In this case the puck made contact with the stick when it was on the ice, so it was a good goal. I'd love to talk to a couple of refs about this.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

The goal counted that's all that matters. There's a ton of should have's in this league. The officials are far from perfect.

But how about Chatham this season?! A lot of people, including me were saying this season would be a disaster. So many kids didn't return this season. But they've done an amazing job putting a legit contender together at the last minute. That's no easy task. Their coach should be in the running for coach of the year, as should Leamington's coach.

Yetman has surprised me too. I expected him to be a role player on a checking line. But he's putting up points. Well done Chatham.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Dr. Pepper

Post by Dr. Pepper »

Marcie wrote:"An apparent goal scored by an attacking player who strikes the puck with his stick carried above the height OF THE CROSSBAR of the goal shall NOT be allowed. The determining factor here is where the puck makes contact with the stick."

I believe what the refs were looking at was the determining factor of WHERE the puck makes contact with the stick. In this case the puck made contact with the stick when it was on the ice, so it was a good goal. I'd love to talk to a couple of refs about this.
But still in contact with the stick as he raised it above the crossbar therefore no goal, at the time he scoops it up yes it is on the ice and it would not be a high stick until he raise's it above his shoulder or until he flips it into the net then the crossbar would apply. That is why goals from the side are allowed if it is below the crossbar and all the one I have seen have been, but if it was as you say from the side over the crossbar then it should not have counted
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

I understand your point. I was baffled as well with the call. As soon as I saw it happen I thought that it would be waved off as I thought the same thing.
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

The video I saw shows it in the net before his stick went above the crossbar what a beauty and before anyone asks yes I was at the game and saw it live as well

Nice goal yetman
co founder of the pylon chant!!!!!!
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Pretty sweet goal.
End of a era in Leamington