Guy from OJHL forum rips the GOJHL, Buffalo

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Marcie

Re: Guy from OJHL forum rips the GOJHL, Buffalo

Post by Marcie »

I watched most of the game last night on FH. I have to give credit to Caledonia. Although the score got quite high, their goals were just simple plays. It looked like a NHL All Star game. Lots of passing. Lots of skill. Caledonia never celebrated a goal, No sticks are raised. No glove taps in front of their bench. Most often it was hard to tell if they did score. Often there was a delayed reaction from the fellow calling the play by play. They didn't drive to the net. There was no wild scrambles fighting for pucks in the crease. To me they displayed a high level of sportsmanship. I don't know what the answer for Buffalo is. Clearly they want a team or they would have folded at some time this year. How do they ice a competitive team? I see they have 2 Canadians on their roster. Is that all they are allowed? There must be more local Canadian kids that could help this team. If they were allowed just the last cuts from the neighbouring GH teams, they would have a much stronger club. I feel bad for them. I'm betting Caledonia feels pretty bad too. They looked embarrassed playing against them. I would shudder to think how many goals they could score against this team if they really tried.
hockeyfan77

Post by hockeyfan77 »

IMO I think it's classless and shows poor sportsmanship to run scores up like the 28-0 and 28-2 recently posted. Even a 13-3 score is poor sportsmanship and really just an attempt to pad stats for players. Which brings me to my second point- the scoring title for the GOJHL is not a true reflection of skill and talent when players are getting 8-10 pts in a game against very weak competition (in 4-5 games per season). If you take away the points in all three conferences from players racking them up against the weakest teams, I wonder what the actual totals would be... and who would win?
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

nineteensixty5 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:04 am I"m curious. I haven't seen this Buffalo team but how would they do against a Jr C team. Obviously Dorchester would beat them easily, but what about, say Port Stanley or other below average Jr C team? Would local Minor Midget AAA teams beat them? Easily? AA teams? Bantam teams? I just find it hard to fathom them being so bad 100 shots against? That's crazy.
Last night's game was something else. It was like Caledonia played Buffalo three times last night, 3 20 minute games. Look at the goals & shots from each period. The more I thought about it, the more amazing it seemed. Buffalo is a very bad team. It isn't the players faults, they are simply the kids who were brought in.

I'm not sure what the coaching plan is for them. But they look lost out there, even against .500 teams. It's almost like putting a Jr.B team up against an AHL team sometimes. They basically look confused and frustrated because they can't seem to get puck possession. Then you factor in that they barely have enough players to make a line change, and you realize some of those kids are playing like 30-40 minutes a game. It's really hard to describe them... Picture a bunch of bigger kids playing keep away with the puck. That pretty much sums up what most of their games are like.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

hockeyfan77 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:25 pm IMO I think it's classless and shows poor sportsmanship to run scores up like the 28-0 and 28-2 recently posted. Even a 13-3 score is poor sportsmanship and really just an attempt to pad stats for players. Which brings me to my second point- the scoring title for the GOJHL is not a true reflection of skill and talent when players are getting 8-10 pts in a game against very weak competition (in 4-5 games per season). If you take away the points in all three conferences from players racking them up against the weakest teams, I wonder what the actual totals would be... and who would win?
To be honest, I agree, but I blame Buffalo. Caledonia can't be expected to shoot the puck into the corner all night. 20 goals when they played the Falls, 22 when they played the Falcons.. I honestly believe the top two teams could show us poor sportsmanship if they wanted to. Imagine a game ending 44-0, with over 150 shots on their goal. It could actually happen if these top teams didn't show the class that they have. :)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Welland Cougars

Post by Welland Cougars »

Thought you were leaving, Port?