Guy from OJHL forum rips the GOJHL, Buffalo

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

Guy from OJHL forum rips the GOJHL, Buffalo

Post by Port hockey1 »

The guy who runs the OJHL forum has really given it to the GOJHL. He say's this league is worse than the GMHL. He also took a good run at Buffalo(rightfully so).

Here's what he wrote;
November 15 2016, 7:20 AM

'On the Radio' weighs in....

On the GOJHL’s website, on their home page, they have a link to an article written back in 2013. It boasts the GOJHL as the 8th best development league in North America. The league is ahead of the CCHL and the NAHL… which if you think about it in almost 2017, is a complete farce of a statement.

This isn’t to diminish the GOJHL as a developmental league, but those two leagues greatly surpassed the GOJHL shortly after that list was released.

And yet, 3 years later, the article is still the main link on their webpage as if they need to advertise their self worth and say, ‘see, we told you someone thinks we are a good league.’

The article boasts the AHL as number one, ECHL as 2, the CHL, NCAA and USHL as the next three… so it isn’t a very good list, because how can you say a Jr league is a better developmental league than the Swedish Elite League for example… and how can you have the BCHL not on that list. But besides the point of this article.

After keeping that link on the GOJHL website where many can see it up close and personal, to the rejection of upgrading their status to Jr A, their new commissioner seemingly not following the rules or trying to win a PR battle while they know their applications will be turned down, the GOJHL is losing a solid footing as a respectable league.

Yes you can jump on any league for the same statement, but outside of the GMHL, NCPHL and the CPJHL (which is still a float, surprisingly) I have two words to describe the latest setback of the GOJHL being a serious contender as a top league in Canada… Buffalo Regals.

Ok, quick history lesson, the Wheatfield Jr Blades is the predecessor to the Regals franchise that turned into the Buffalo Blades and now to the Regals…

Since 1987 when the Jr Blades were in the NEJHL, they are pretty average until 1990 when they rattled off 6 seasons of 30+ wins in a 54-58 game season, winning the league in 4 consecutive years from 92-96…. Jump ahead to them entering two leagues with the EmJHL and the GHJHL (the precursor to the Golden Horseshoe Conference in the GOJHL) That lasted one season, 2005/06 where they placed 19th in the EmJHL and 8th in the GHJHL…

They sold off the EmJHL team and focused on competing in the Canadian loop from 2006-2007 on… and that is when the clock struck midnight and Cinderella lost everything.

Since 06/07 the Jr Blades/Blades/Regals franchise has won an astounding 62 games in 8 seasons… in two of those seasons they won 19 and 13 games, so in the other 6 seasons a combined, 30 wins… out of 402 games…. And as sad as that sounds this year’s version of the Regals is the worst yet.

How can that possibly be? Well let me break down the numbers….

27 – the current position in the 27 team GOJHL.

.77 – goals scored per game by the Buffalo Regals

17 – the amount of goals scored by the club in 22 games… since you were wondering

0 – the amount of wins they have this year.

232 – goals against through 22 games played.

41.17% – the percentage of the teams goals scored by one player, 7 of their 17

82.48% – the goalies combined save percentage, have used 5 goalies this year.

60.18 – average shots against per game

387 – how many more shots Kodie Oude Vashaar has faced than the next goalie in the league, with 22 fewer minutes played…

13 – The amount of times the Regals were shut out in their 22 games.

14.5 – The amount of skaters that the team ices per game.

5 – out of their last 6 games, the team has skated with 11 skaters or less.

Do I need to go on? No I don’t think so. These numbers are appalling. They reflect the number of my peewee house league team back in the day… but this is Jr B hockey? Not it isn’t.

It isn’t even GMHL hockey. That is the sad part. And you have this league, the GOJHL, claiming to be in every way a Jr A loop in everything but name only.

And again, you can point to a few OJHL franchises and say, they are just as bad, but they have the designation. Not trying to keep it or get it. No matter what the OJHL does, it will not lose the Jr A title… well short of sports gambling and point shaving… something like that.

The bottom line of all this is that the Regals need to go, they need to be stripped of eligibility into the league, and unfortunately for their owners and Office staff, they need to go back to the drawing board to put together an actual team if they would like to come back in… the saddest part about this isn’t what is presented above, it is the fact that this team had 2 years to get in line and find players, build, an infrastructure and create a network and as it appears, they have failed to do so….

Most GMHL teams only need a few weeks to fold after paying league fees and being an expansion club, but to plan for 2 seasons and still lay a giant egg like this… that is just unprecedented and the team should be stripped of its membership.

Just because I like numbers… here is another one for you.

41 minutes and 9 seconds…. The total number of minutes the Regals have held a lead this season… they have played 1,320 minutes this season.
Opinions?
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Welland Cougars

Re: Guy from OJHL forum rips the GOJHL, Buffalo

Post by Welland Cougars »

My opinion is that you're not very smart as that's clearly an article.
Last edited by Welland Cougars on Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

1 really bad team in the GOJHL doesn't make up for the 10-15 bad teams in the GMHL. No comparison whatsoever.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

GOJHLfan1 wrote:1 really bad team in the GOJHL doesn't make up for the 10-15 bad teams in the GMHL. No comparison whatsoever.
Case in point: http://www.orangeville.com/news-story/6 ... g-charges/
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Welland Cougars wrote:My opinion is that you're not very smart as that's clearly an article.
I see it was from some 'on the radio' guy. But it was still posted on the OJHL forum. Thanks for coming out. :roll:
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

It doesn't matter.

The OJHL was the laughing stock of NCAA hockey a few years back when they had 40+ teams. The league was an utter joke!

The GOJHL has a good thing going. Their attendance puts the OJHL attendance to shame. Many an OJ team can only dream of having the attendance numbers of most GOJHL teams. It is a good brand!! Time to build on it!!

It's time for the GOJHL to put the Tier II desire aside, for the time-being. Explore other options that best suit the needs of your players and what their aspirations are. Once you can consistently offer the "total package", their will be no need for your players to leave for the OJHL. You might then sit back and say...Tier What??
Welland Cougars

Port hockey1 wrote:
Welland Cougars wrote:My opinion is that you're not very smart as that's clearly an article.
I see it was from some 'on the radio' guy. But it was still posted on the OJHL forum. Thanks for coming out. :roll:
I see you were wrong once again, thanks for coming out.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Welland Cougars wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:
Yeah... I thought it was Ron's opinion. Either way it was posted. You felt the need to join the forum just to point out that I was wrong about the Author... Okay then. :smt119
Welland Cougars

Port hockey1 wrote:
Welland Cougars wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:
Yeah... I thought it was Ron's opinion. Either way it was posted. You felt the need to join the forum just to point out that I was wrong about the Author... Okay then. :smt119
Wrong again, jeez. Appears to be a habit for you.

I joined the forum to voice my opinion, this just happened to be the first post I came across.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

FrozenPonds wrote:It doesn't matter.

The OJHL was the laughing stock of NCAA hockey a few years back when they had 40+ teams. The league was an utter joke!

The GOJHL has a good thing going. Their attendance puts the OJHL attendance to shame. Many an OJ team can only dream of having the attendance numbers of most GOJHL teams. It is a good brand!! Time to build on it!!

It's time for the GOJHL to put the Tier II desire aside, for the time-being. Explore other options that best suit the needs of your players and what their aspirations are. Once you can consistently offer the "total package", their will be no need for your players to leave for the OJHL. You might then sit back and say...Tier What??
You obviously don't get what the issue is.

Kids are jumping ship from the GOJHL to the OJHL earlier and earlier. Half the time kids will play one year here, as a middle six type of player and then they head off to A because it's a "step up" even if they're moving up to be depth guys, and the B teams are left with a $1500 player development fee and that's it. I saw some idiot on twitter once infer that GOJHL teams loved getting those PDFs. That's as stupid as can be, when you hear about kids like Brookshaw and teams offering St Thomas upwards of 20K. $1500 is nothing, and doesn't help team budgets at all. GOJHL teams lose the rights to their players, when other leagues like the NOJHL retain players rights and have to trade the player's rights for them to go to the CCHL/BCHL/OJHL - meaning far more money, which actually helps the budget. Why? Because replacing players with actual junior players and not just Midgets costs money - billet fees, trade fees, etc.

The league wants the level playing ground. If players still want to go the OJHL, fine. But that simple letter change will help team budgets so they can continue to build teams and not eventually fold as we see more and more junior teams going piss poor.
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

Wish league draws more fans on average and some players return to the GOHL from the OJHL has well.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

I do understand the issue!

Issues are players are leaving because they believe that the OJHL is where they "have" to be in order to get where they want to go. Players can leave in droves to go to the OJHL with little to no compensatory relief in return.

What I was suggesting, and you may have missed the point, is that the GOJHL needs to make themselves a viable option to the OJHL. Looking, or waiting, to be "on par" with them in classification terms is not a viable option. It is only, and this is a Hockey Canada term, it is only semantics!! There are ways that the GOJHL can make themselves a more viable option. They wouldn't have to give up their "B" status and could set a schedule that would benefit players now and down the road. Set a schedule that is going to give these kids what they want, and you have a winning formula!

Not going to get into logistics of it, but it is possible to put something in play that may actually convince kids to stay in the GOJHL rather than jump ship to the OJHL.

Again, it all comes down to what the league and it's teams want. If they want to mope and whine about the letter "A", then it's going to be a long and fruitless journey!
BlackJacket

Post by BlackJacket »

FrozenPonds wrote:I do understand the issue!

Issues are players are leaving because they believe that the OJHL is where they "have" to be in order to get where they want to go. Players can leave in droves to go to the OJHL with little to no compensatory relief in return.

What I was suggesting, and you may have missed the point, is that the GOJHL needs to make themselves a viable option to the OJHL. Looking, or waiting, to be "on par" with them in classification terms is not a viable option. It is only, and this is a Hockey Canada term, it is only semantics!! There are ways that the GOJHL can make themselves a more viable option. They wouldn't have to give up their "B" status and could set a schedule that would benefit players now and down the road. Set a schedule that is going to give these kids what they want, and you have a winning formula!

Not going to get into logistics of it, but it is possible to put something in play that may actually convince kids to stay in the GOJHL rather than jump ship to the OJHL.

Again, it all comes down to what the league and it's teams want. If they want to mope and whine about the letter "A", then it's going to be a long and fruitless journey!
What would be an example of a schedule that gives these kids what they want, in your opinion?

I don't think the players perception of the OJ and GOJ are what people on the forums make it out to be. I think the smart ones know the gap is rather small.

It seems easy or popular to trash the GOJHL, but their hands are a bit tied.
Buffalo is a complete embarrassment, and that isn't on the players, its not on the GOJHL. It's on the OHA and the Owner/General Manager of the Buffalo team.
The GOJHL breaking away from the OHA and Hockey Canada and going rogue like the GMHL is very unlikely and hardly promises better days like some suggest.

I think the GOJHL is a great development league minus horrible refereeing and dirty dirty players. But no one protects players like the OHL.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

The OHF/OHA/CJHL/HC will hardly due the correct thing. They will always use the "in the best interests of the game" line. When in actuality, it is in the best interests of themselves.

The gap between the OJHL and the GOJHL is small indeed. The quality and calibre of play is extremely similar. The attendance figures are vastly different. The only difference is one of geography! You will never see the OJHL and the GOJHL compete against each other because, the OJHL has nothing to gain and EVERYTHING to lose!

It is up to the owners to look at innovative ways to compete for players. But the owners must also decide what they want. Do they want to continue to pursue the Tier 2 designation or do they want to continue to provide a quality product and look at a schedule which serves the needs of their players.

I don;t know many owners in the league and I do not know Chuck Williams, but I wouldn't want to hang my hat on the premise of Junior A status!!
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

The Buffalo Regals set another record last night after the 22-1 loss to St. Cathaines -they now own the worst ga in a single GOJHL season with 417 - they passed the 2010/11 Lambton Shores Predators (415) -and more games yet to be played.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

28 0 tonight. That's a well balanced Conference you have.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

RocketGirl wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:21 pm 28 0 tonight. That's a well balanced Conference you have.
I wonder how it is that you are on here when your beloved Rockettes play, but I wouldn't want to watch them play either
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Pretty sure the top teams in the West could pot 30 goals on Buffalo if they played hard for 60 minutes. Everyone knows Buffalo's a black eye on the league. So I don't see what any of their games has to do with balance.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

SugarKing wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:37 pm
RocketGirl wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:21 pm 28 0 tonight. That's a well balanced Conference you have.
I wonder how it is that you are on here when your beloved Rockettes play, but I wouldn't want to watch them play either
It's called a smart phone dumbass. And I can multitask.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

that's harsh ? no need for name calling.
End of a era in Leamington
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

So he can call me a moron, but I can't call him a dumbass? When I get called something first, I have every right to throw it back at them.
Queen of the GOJHL

SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

RocketGirl wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:27 pm So he can call me a moron, but I can't call him a dumbass? When I get called something first, I have every right to throw it back at them.
I didn't call you a moron. Strathroy's Queen just ran out of intelligent things to say.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

SugarKing wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:38 pm
RocketGirl wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:27 pm So he can call me a moron, but I can't call him a dumbass? When I get called something first, I have every right to throw it back at them.
I didn't call you a moron. Strathroy's Queen just ran out of intelligent things to say.
You sound really childish
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

No, you didn't call me a moron on Sat, but you did earlier in the week and I'm not just sitting around taking it anymore.

And it's GOJHL Queen, get it right.
Queen of the GOJHL

Welland Cougars

Are you 6 years old?
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

RocketGirl wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:39 am No, you didn't call me a moron on Sat, but you did earlier in the week and I'm not just sitting around taking it anymore.

And it's GOJHL Queen, get it right.
Lol
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Have a look at your standings folks. For the first time ever we have a team that has allowed over 500 goals in a season. I have to hand it to them for finishing the season out, but that is awfully hard to take game in and game out. They also had another 100+ shot night against them. There was a weird call in the game too. The Caledonia goaltender gets a minor headchecking penalty and a game misconduct but is allowed to stay in the game. A teammate (#15 Moro) serves the 2 minutes then leaves the box and stays in the game. Something doesn't sound right to me there.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

Head contact is a 2 and a 10, not a game misconduct (10M)
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Quite so. Looking back now the ref caught it and changed the game misconduct to a 10, which no one I believed served.
nineteensixty5

Post by nineteensixty5 »

I"m curious. I haven't seen this Buffalo team but how would they do against a Jr C team. Obviously Dorchester would beat them easily, but what about, say Port Stanley or other below average Jr C team? Would local Minor Midget AAA teams beat them? Easily? AA teams? Bantam teams? I just find it hard to fathom them being so bad 100 shots against? That's crazy.