Elmira looking like the early favorites, Kitchener looking like the biggest bust of the season

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

Elmira looking like the early favorites, Kitchener looking like the biggest bust of the season

Post by Port hockey1 »

Elmira looks like the early favorites to capture the Sutherland Cup this season. E.Skinner is having a great season with 34 points(14-20) in 17 games. Former Caledonia Corvair Jake Brown has been just as impressive this season, putting up 33 points(8-25) in 19 games. Elmira has a deep team with 10 forwards having at least 10 points. They also lead the MidWest with 85 goals, and sit in first place(15-3-1).

Their defense has been impressive as well this season, they've given up the second fewest goals in their division(46). They've also had great goaltending from veteran Jonathon Reinhart. He has a record of 14-1-1, including a shutout, and has posted a 2.39 GAA & .927 SV%.

Caledonia, St.Catharines, Listowel, LaSalle, and London like the other serious contenders at this point.

What's up with Kitchener?

Coming off a great regular season last year Kitchener was expected to be a force this season, with many saying they would be a legit cup contender. So far I think they've been the biggest underachievers this season.

With a strong group of forwards that features Cole, Kawalec, Gaboury, & Valko, and a deep defense that includes Grandinetti & Schmidt, it's puzzling to see them struggle to beat most teams this season. Their goalie was great for them last season, but has mediocre numbers this season. That doesn't mean he's playing bad or anything, it could very well be the way the kids have played in front of him.

But with that much talent that includes several key veterans struggling most nights, that clearly shows that something is up in Kitchener. Either it's a chemistry thing, or the coach might be losing them? Should be interesting to see how things play out with them this season.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102