Overtime

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

Overtime

Post by RocketGirl »

So I was reading the Great Lakes Jr. C forum and found that the PJHL has brought in this season that you receive 0 points for an overtime loss. If the game ends in a tie after OT, each team gets 1 point. If someone wins in OT, they get 2 points and the loser gets nothing.

I'm not sure how I really feel about it, but it's no different than playing 60 min. and losing by 1 goal. Just wondered what others would think if the GOJHL brought it in next season.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Marcie

Re: Overtime

Post by Marcie »

I wouldn't have a problem with it. In fact I like the idea. You lost the game. You don't "earn" a point for an overtime loss in the playoffs (however, Pointstreak thinks you do). There would be greater incentive to win in OT if you knew you could end up 2 points and your opponent received nothing - especially if the two teams were close in the standings.
Blades

Post by Blades »

What I would like to see is a complete overhaul using something similar to what is used in the Olympics? World Juniors?
Anyway, here is what I would propose.
Outright win = 4 points
O/T win = 3 points, O/T loss = 1 point
Tie = each team gets 2 points.
In this way, each game is worth 4 points and it's all in how you distribute it. I think that if a team gets into OT, something should be reflected in it. However, I think the purists would think games should be only worth 2 points and tough luck if you you lose. I know I wasn't really happy with some games being worth 2 points for a win in regulation and others worth 3 points if it went to OT or shoot out (which we don't have any longer, thank goodness) but I still think if the effort was there to get the game to a tie after 60 minutes, each team should be rewarded for pulling that off.

Then again, there are other sports where getting you into OT just means you have another crack at losing -- like Basketball.
If you are a lacrosse follower, you'll know that if the game is tied after 60 minutes, another 5 (sometimes more, depending upon the league and level of play) minutes are put up on the clock and the entire overtime is played regardless of the number of goal scored. If still a tie, then the game remains at a time and each team gets 1 point. Winning in regulation or in OT gets you the 2 points.

Just a few thoughts meandering through my mind ... not that they stay long :D
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
Seth

Post by Seth »

The PJHL overtime is also seven minutes of 3 on 3. Can't imagine that many of these overtimes will go long. I suppose it's one way to try to eliminate tie games without going the shootout method. I like the idea that the losing team in OT doesn't get a point, it's the way it used to be years ago.