2016 SHOWCASE WEEKEND

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Marcie

2016 SHOWCASE WEEKEND

Post by Marcie »

I thought I would start a thread for the Showcase.

For those of us who can't make it, selected games are available on FastHockey. Here is the line-up:

Friday
London - Kitchener 7:30

Saturday
Guelph - St. Thomas 10:30
Sarnia - Thorold 1:30
Niagara Falls - Waterloo 4:30
Welland - London 7:30

Sunday
Ancaster - Guelph 10:30
Leamington - Elimira 1:30
Thorold - Cambridge 4:30
Marcie

Re: 2016 SHOWCASE WEEKEND

Post by Marcie »

Does anyone know if Guelph only had 13 players dressed on Satuday when they played St. Thomas?
JuniorBFan007

Post by JuniorBFan007 »

They had a full squad. Don't know why Gamesheet only had 13 listed. They must have been a different team on Sunday to score 10 goals!
JuniorBFan007

Post by JuniorBFan007 »

What are people's thoughts on the outcomes this weekend? I thought there were numerous upsets & surprises such as
- London losing to Kitchener
-Brampton defeating Ft. Erie
- Buffalo was weak...but I didn't expect it was this bad
- St. Thomas & Lambton Shores winning both of their games
- Lambton defeating Brantford in a close battle
- Guelph scoring 10 goals on Ancaster after only scoring 3 on St. Thomas
- Waterloo absolutely dominating Chatham 7-1
- Stratford upsetting Caledonia
- St. Catherines defeating LaSalle(picked to lead the West)
SebJHockey

Post by SebJHockey »

JuniorBFan007 wrote:What are people's thoughts on the outcomes this weekend? I thought there were numerous upsets & surprises such as
- London losing to Kitchener
-Brampton defeating Ft. Erie
- Buffalo was weak...but I didn't expect it was this bad
- St. Thomas & Lambton Shores winning both of their games
- Lambton defeating Brantford in a close battle
- Guelph scoring 10 goals on Ancaster after only scoring 3 on St. Thomas
- Waterloo absolutely dominating Chatham 7-1
- Stratford upsetting Caledonia
- St. Catherines defeating LaSalle(picked to lead the West)

London Losing to Kitchener should not be a surprise to anyone. Kitchener returned more fire power than any team in the league and finished 1st or 2nd in the league wide standings last year.

Buffalo was bad, cant see them making it through the season TBH.

I thought it kind of went as expected. Didn't expect the midwest to dominate like the did but no real shockers IMO.
oldtymer

Post by oldtymer »

A little early for all for these predictions ... still a lot of cuts coming from Junior A ranks.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

oldtymer wrote:A little early for all for these predictions ... still a lot of cuts coming from Junior A ranks.
Not really. A couple OHL guys might get sent back, but for the most part OHL and OJHL teams are all down to their rosters. And it's very unlikely that OJ cuts would drastically alter what GOJHL teams would do anyways. Those cuts would likely be cut in this league too.

For the most part, what you saw this weekend is the team rosters.
Vairs61

Post by Vairs61 »

I think Caledonia will be adding to there roster. They need to find a few guys that can put the puck in the net. They did not create much offence this past weekend.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Vairs61 wrote:I think Caledonia will be adding to there roster. They need to find a few guys that can put the puck in the net. They did not create much offence this past weekend.
What team in the Golden Horseshoe did? Ancaster scored 10 but gave up 15.
Blades

Post by Blades »

From what I have been told about players still up with Jr A clubs is that they are likely to stay up there a bit longer than usual. The reason given to me is that with the World Hockey Championships going on, some NHL teams are keeping the "junior" players with them longer than as is usual because of NHL players competing in the WHC. If the juniors are still up with NHL teams, then the Jr A teams are likely to hold on to some of the "B" players until their "A" players return from NHL. Once the championships are over and the Jr A players return to their respective junior teams, then the trickle down effect should occur.
With that being said, I believe that Sarnia has about three players up with the Sting (Jr A affiliate) who could conceivably be sent back to the Legionnaires. Time will tell.
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Welland looked better than many expected. They were outshot in both games, but were able to pot a few goals without having a natural scorer. If those kids can spread the scoring out, they have the goaltending to compete.

Caledonia played pretty much how I expected. They were a little overwhelmed in the second game, but that's to be expected with so many new faces early in the season. Once they start to get used to each other they'll look a little better.

I wasn't surprised to see Chatham lose so bad to Waterloo, expect more of the same when they play top teams from the West.

And as expected, St.Catharines looks to have a solid team of veterans and younger kids. They'll challenge for top spot.

Pelham looks to be in the same shape as last season. Buffalo... Well, I guess Pelham has one team they might be able to look down at. :lol:
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
SebJHockey

Post by SebJHockey »

oldtymer wrote:A little early for all for these predictions ... still a lot of cuts coming from Junior A ranks.

They are just predictions right. Can make them as early or as late as people want, just a matter of being right in the end which for all I know all my predictions could be wrong. But it's still fun lol

One thing I will say is I really see Buffalo folding. I heard from people that they only showed up to the showcase with 15 players, of those most where midget players, and not to mention they only had something like 18 people at main camp. This isn't going to be pretty for them.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Niagara Falls still has 2 players at OHL camps and I was told on the weekend St.Catharines still has 4 kids at OHL camps. :smt024
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Was looking at the transactions page and noticed Zak Parlette from Leamington received a 7 game suspension for Attempt to Injure match penalty during their game on Sunday with Elmira. I also saw a 4 game suspension to Spencer Lapointe from St Thomas for an Attempt to Injure match during their game with Niagara Falls. Anyone know what they did?
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

I was listening to the St. Thomas game on myFM. I thought Andrew said something about a possible slewfoot, but I could be mistaken.
JuniorBFan007

Post by JuniorBFan007 »

I was at the game. In my opinion, the ref over-called this one. Lapointe simply tied up his man who was driving to the net. They both went down hard backwards, so it looked like a "tackle". There was no slew foot, nor intent to injure. At most, he should've been assessed a 2 min minor for tripping
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

If the foot or leg were used to "tackle" or take down the player, it would be a slewfoot, not a trip anymore. I believe this rule change has now been adopted at every level. I wasn't there, but if the foot/leg was used it is a good call and a well deserved suspension.
Hockeyhead1

Post by Hockeyhead1 »

Leamington player hit/or tried to hit (couldn't see) Elmira player in face with his helmet after a little pushing match. He had pulled off the Elmira helmet, refs were in between and he swung the helmet around them.