Gojhl Rules and Regulations - new fan to Gojhl

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Sharpe

Gojhl Rules and Regulations - new fan to Gojhl

Post by Sharpe »

I'm new fan to the Gojhl and i'm trying to figure out all of the rules regarding cumulative suspensions...

The gojhl does not seem to publish a rules and regulations... they are sanctioned by the OHA which also does not seem to publish rules and regulations like omha does.

I think that takes us to the OHF rules and regulations for Junior hockey, but all I can find is a minimum suspension list for the 2015-16 season.

lets use fighting as an example...
The ohf suspension list shows incremental suspensions for multiple aggressor penalties.
fighting in the last 10 min of a game nets you one additional game suspension. fighting in the first 50 min only gets you out of the game.

I have heard talk around the arena that multiple fights get you additional suspensions unless the other party gets an instigator then they don't count towards your season fight total. 3 fights =1 addl game, 4 fights 2 addl games, 5 fights 3 addl games and 6 fights indefinite. But this is all hearsay and I cant find the rule that says this... so is it true? if so where is it published?

its pretty confusing to a newcomer..

now add in all of these unwritten (maybe written but I dont know where to look) penalties I've never seen before like warmup violations...

If one of you longtime supporters can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it!

I'm thinking the OHF rulebook applies as a minimum but either the OHA or the GOJHL has "supplements" and I cant seem to find those at all.
RocketGirl

Re: Gojhl Rules and Regulations - new fan to Gojhl

Post by RocketGirl »

These are great questions, and us long time fans forget that there are newbies not aware of the different rules that are enforced.

A good source for you, and everyone, is the OHA website. I find it’s a very under-utilized tool, but they have a lot of good stuff on their website, such as the suspension list. Another good item are the bulletins that they publish, information and action. It advises of rules that they are enforcing and how it will be enforced. They’re memos that go out to all the teams, that are published right on their own website.

We, as the GOJHL, follow the OHA, which is governed by the OHF and Hockey Canada. What you are looking for is the rule books under both of those agencies. You also need the suspension list. Currently, all that is available is the 2015-16 list, but I’m sure they’ll publish the 2016-17 list shortly. And be sure to grab the Jr. list and not the OMHA list, because there are differences.

In your example about fighting, instigator and aggressor penalties are cumulative. You’ll see on the suspension list that the first offence is 1 game, 2nd offence is 2 games, 3rd offence is 4 games and 4th offence is indefinite with a disciplinary committee meeting. This is confusing for most I’ve found, but those penalties run together. So if a player gets in a fight and gets an instigator, they’re out for 1 game. In the next fight, if he gets both instigator and aggressor, that’s considered offences 2 and 3 and he’s gone for 6. If his next fight is just an aggressor, that’s his 4th offence and he’s typically out for 8 games, as that’s doubled from the 3rd offence, but he also has to meet with the OHA disciplinary committee and explain his actions and why he deserves to continue to play, at which point they may assess more games.

We also have the last 10 minute rule, which applies to more than just fighting. There’s a whole list of penalties that qualify as a next game suspension on the right hand side of the poster.

I asked about the multiple fight penalty because we used to have it, but it was only around for a couple seasons. I was told that there is no specific rule saying you can only have X fights in a season, but that the OHA monitors it and if there’s a player that is getting in fights regularly, or getting head checking penalties, they’ll receive a supplemental discipline suspension.

I’m guessing you’re a parent, so your kid needs to be aware of the warmup violation penalties.

1. Do not go onto the ice before the referees or linesmen, I’m not sure of the penalty, but it’s a don’t
2. Do not touch the red line during warmup, otherwise you’ll get a 10 minute misconduct to start the game
3. Be off the ice on time during warmup. The visitor must be off with 1:00 left on the clock, home team has until 0:00. If you are late coming off the ice, it’s a 2:00 delay of game penalty
4. If you are on the ice for O Canada, players stand on the blue line with their helmets on the ice and the goalies are in their crease. You can shuffle your feet to stay loose, but don’t start skating before the anthem is done, or you’ll be in the box for 10 minutes.

I feel like I'm missing one, but I can't think of it right now.

Also, tell your kid to keep his chinstrap done up. If he undoes his chinstrap while skating off the ice at the end of the period, or as he’s skating to the penalty box, he could be assessed a 10 min. misconduct. If he gets in a fight, he has to keep his helmet on, and chinstrap done up, otherwise that’s a gross misconduct and he’s gone for 1 game.

If he’s in the box at the end of a period, tell him to wait for the referee to signal that he can come out of the box, otherwise he’ll be assessed a leaving the box early penalty and get another 2 minutes. They’ve really been clamping down on that since last year.

I hope this helps you and if you have any other questions, we will be sure to help you out.

http://www.ohf.on.ca/ohf-admin/rule-book

http://www.oha.pointstreaksites.com/fil ... Poster.pdf

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Hocke ... loads.aspx
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
RecKing

Post by RecKing »

Good basic coverage of some of the newer rules RocketGirl. One thing a parent or newcomer to the GOJHL should note. During the last 10 min. of the third period and afterwards (OT and 2 OT) if a player incurs any major it usually carries an extra game with it. Of course if it causes a severe injury - for example a 5 min. checking-from-behind, it could be reviewed for further suspension. One should also be aware that refs are clamping down greatly on verbal abuse and some will not accept any griping about a penalty issued. Protests or bad language at anytime whether on the way to the penalty box or bench will warrant the call. As for the 10 min. misconduct rule at the beginning of a game your stick must not go over the red line either, so if there`s an errant puck that`s heading over that red line - just leave it. Hopefully all the GOJHL players have a good and fun season. There are plenty of rules to go through and even some of the people who have been around the league for decades find it hard to remember everything.
Sharpe

Post by Sharpe »

Thank you for taking the time to respond!!

Great answers!