Changes to GOJHL

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

Changes to GOJHL

Post by RocketGirl »

Just a small article I wrote about some of the changes to the GOJHL this season.

http://overtimesportsnation.com/changes-to-the-gojhl/
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Undertaker

Re: Changes to GOJHL

Post by Undertaker »

I wonder if the league considered any playing rule changes or areas to focus on?

It would be a good idea for the GOJHL to address blindside hits like the OHL is doing. It will eventually come in. It would be much more useful than the focus we put on where goalies stand or if players flinch before the last note of the national anthems or if a chin strap is undone before both feet are off the ice. I heard minor hockey is instituting an automatic match for a slew foot that the OHL has had for years. It was an alleged blindside hit that took London's top player out for most of last season, and slewfoots are just as dangerous. I don't think I have ever seen a player get a season or career ending injury for shuffling his feet on the blueline during a National anthem.

Just my thoughts
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Do you have something against the National Anthem? The song that signifies the greatest country in the world.

This isn't a new rule though, it's been around for years now. And it was brought in by the OHA to cut down on the guys that would start to skate around the ice with 1 line left. And they brought it in because they got numerous complaints from fans that thought it was disrespectful to our country.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

So,,,,,, are you saying the OHA has no position on player safety even after losing a top player from mid season through the Sutherland Cup and there is no reason to prevent these occurrences in the future?

As for the suite of warm up violation rules where did I say this was a new OHA rule?

The fact is I didn't. My argument is about areas of focus not rule replacement

Do you have something against reducing unnecessary injuries? By all means lets worry about the goalie standing at attention outside of his crease so he can see the flag, but ignore blindside headshots or someone kicking a players feet out from under them because that's the only way they can win a battle for the puck. These are dangerous and cause serious injuries and should be severely penalized. The referees #1 job is to keep the game safe.

Also note that no where did I suggest to completely abolish or ignore any rule in place now and was simply advocating to pay some attention to the dangerous plays that leagues from minor hockey to the NHL recognize and are addressing. Before you say it I know that the league slaps players with an extra 10 minutes for head contact regardless of intention, it however does not adequately penalize the cowardly acts that can and do cause an injury to a player in a vulnerable position. In a nutshell that is what I have something against (since you asked).

I happen to enjoy our National Anthem and fully understand its significance to our great country and I also have a lot of respect for traditions. Someone doing a lap while the anthem is playing is a lot different from standing where they can pay attention to our flag during the anthem, how ever both carry the same M100 call. Your suggestions that I or anyone else have an issue with the National Anthem because we don't think that the league should dedicate at least as much effort to dangerous actions is ridiculous to say the least.

Now back to the topic that I originally brought forward, do you have something against rules that other leagues are enacting and vigorously enforcing to increase player safety?
OffTheRecord

Post by OffTheRecord »

New for this year (across the OHF).

A slewfoot carries either a double minor + Game misconduct or a match penalty.
image002.jpg
image002.jpg (38.14 KiB) Viewed 9079 times
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Regardless of what people think, I don't speak for the OHA. I don't work for them either. And while we're at it, I don't work for the league either. I speak for myself and myself alone. My opinions are not those of the Strathroy Rockets either.

No, you did not say that the National Anthem rules are new, but the fact that you're complaining about them on this topic, implies that they are new rules, for those that are new in the league. The National Anthem rules are only OHA rules and do not apply to OMHA or Alliance Hockey, therefore rookies come in, they don't know about them, and get caught with them.

The OHA came up with a standardize rule for where the players should be during the anthem, how are they to know where each arena put their flags? That's not standardized. And for the record, they get the same M100 call, and 10 minute misconduct, if they touch the red line during warm up.

As for your question, yes, I care about player safety just like everyone else, and if/when the OHA comes up with new and stricter rules for such things like slew foot or blindside hits, I'll adapt to them like everything else, but, in my opinion, this is hockey. It's a physical sport with an adequate degree of understanding that you might get hurt. If you can't handle it, don't play the game.
Queen of the GOJHL

Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:Regardless of what people think, I don't speak for the OHA. I don't work for them either. And while we're at it, I don't work for the league either. I speak for myself and myself alone. My opinions are not those of the Strathroy Rockets either.

No, you did not say that the National Anthem rules are new, but the fact that you're complaining about them on this topic, implies that they are new rules, for those that are new in the league. The National Anthem rules are only OHA rules and do not apply to OMHA or Alliance Hockey, therefore rookies come in, they don't know about them, and get caught with them.

The OHA came up with a standardize rule for where the players should be during the anthem, how are they to know where each arena put their flags? That's not standardized. And for the record, they get the same M100 call, and 10 minute misconduct, if they touch the red line during warm up.

As for your question, yes, I care about player safety just like everyone else, and if/when the OHA comes up with new and stricter rules for such things like slew foot or blindside hits, I'll adapt to them like everything else, but, in my opinion, this is hockey. It's a physical sport with an adequate degree of understanding that you might get hurt. If you can't handle it, don't play the game.

This conversation has me confused. The original post was pointing out that the league takes small things such as moving around during the Anthem very seriously, yet there's nothing being done about very serious issues, such as blindsided hits.

I could clearly see the Anthem comment was simply pointing out that the league does care about its image, but only about the little things that people on the outside are complaining about. As a regular fan, I've seen some very odd behavior during our Anthem. Mostly goalies slapping their pads and swinging their arms around to get loose.

Those little things have never bothered me, or most fans. The big issues are the lack of respect these kids seem to have for each other. The head-shots and hits from behind are getting out of control.

The irony is its only a 2 minute penalty for going at a kids head... But if you move during the Anthem, look out.

I don't know about everyone else, but I share this posters opinion on this subject. :)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

RocketGirl wrote:Regardless of what people think, I don't speak for the OHA. I don't work for them either. And while we're at it, I don't work for the league either. I speak for myself and myself alone. My opinions are not those of the Strathroy Rockets either.

are you serious right now if you can't handle it they don't play the game ? Ok you put your skates on and I'll go slew foot you or I'll go blind side you and we will see if you get up. I've played the game before at many levels and honestly there's nothing worse then a slew foot or running a guy blind sidedto be honest. I'll give you that it is a physical sport and the speed these kids are going now of days is crazy. Hey RG go tell Marc Savard if you can't handle a blind side hit they don't play the game.
Give your a head a shake there needs to be more done in Jr.b about this there's no doubt about it when will it change who knows but it has to. As for the anthem thing go ask more the half the guys in the show could care less if the play the anthem or not the debate has been going on for a bit now to get rid of it anyways. Like I said at first throw your wheels on and cone slew foot you and blind side you at a high speed and we will see what happens. So guys if you can't handle those to things don't play the game
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

Port hockey1 wrote:

This conversation has me confused. The original post was pointing out that the league takes small things such as moving around during the Anthem very seriously, yet there's nothing being done about very serious issues, such as blindsided hits.

I could clearly see the Anthem comment was simply pointing out that the league does care about its image, but only about the little things that people on the outside are complaining about. As a regular fan, I've seen some very odd behavior during our Anthem. Mostly goalies slapping their pads and swinging their arms around to get loose.

Those little things have never bothered me, or most fans. The big issues are the lack of respect these kids seem to have for each other. The head-shots and hits from behind are getting out of control.

The irony is its only a 2 minute penalty for going at a kids head... But if you move during the Anthem, look out.

I don't know about everyone else, but I share this posters opinion on this subject. :)
Port I agree only a 2 and a 10 for a head check that needs to change. Every other league has from the CHL all the way up I don't know about the OJ though do you. The anthem absloutley I show respect for it. The kids in the league now of days skate 100mph and try and kill each other there's zero respect out there now there's no doubt about that. But RG says if you can't handle it then don't play the game.
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

Add Eric Lindros and Sidney Crosby to the list of players that shouldn't have played the game because they can't handle it. Someone that has never played the game might think a slewfoot is insignificant or even somewhat entertaining and that blindside hits to a players head when in a vulnerable position have always been part of the game. Anyone who played more than 20 years ago knows what the consequences would have been back then. Since that time hockey league brought in the instigator and aggressor rules. Fact is now there are no consequences. I have seen more than enough instances where a skilled player gets clocked by a plug behind the play and when someone comes after him for it he turtles to draw both the instigator and aggressor calls. End result, skill player sidelined, the guy standing up for him suspended for a minimum of 4 games and the plug gets off with 2 + 10 if the ref saw it or doesn't even miss a shift. Blindside hits and slewfooting are not and never have been part of physical play, they are just actions of cowards. Most leagues are or have taken steps to keep their best assets playing the game. I guess there is some value to removing the traditional foot shuffle that go unchecked on bluelines in other leagues during the National Anthem, however my opinion stands that keeping the best players on the ice should take on a greater importance.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

Undertaker wrote:Add Eric Lindros and Sidney Crosby to the list of players that shouldn't have played the game because they can't handle it. Someone that has never played the game might think a slewfoot is insignificant or even somewhat entertaining and that blindside hits to a players head when in a vulnerable position have always been part of the game. Anyone who played more than 20 years ago knows what the consequences would have been back then. Since that time hockey league brought in the instigator and aggressor rules. Fact is now there are no consequences. I have seen more than enough instances where a skilled player gets clocked by a plug behind the play and when someone comes after him for it he turtles to draw both the instigator and aggressor calls. End result, skill player sidelined, the guy standing up for him suspended for a minimum of 4 games and the plug gets off with 2 + 10 if the ref saw it or doesn't even miss a shift. Blindside hits and slewfooting are not and never have been part of physical play, they are just actions of cowards. Most leagues are or have taken steps to keep their best assets playing the game. I guess there is some value to removing the traditional foot shuffle that go unchecked on bluelines in other leagues during the National Anthem, however my opinion stands that keeping the best players on the ice should take on a greater importance.
very well said
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Billy, I'll let you know the next time I'm on a pair of skates so you can come and hurt me. FYI, I can't skate and it's probably been 10-15 years since I last put on a pair of skates, so I don't see it happening any time soon.
Queen of the GOJHL

BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

RocketGirl wrote:Billy, I'll let you know the next time I'm on a pair of skates so you can come and hurt me. FYI, I can't skate and it's probably been 10-15 years since I last put on a pair of skates, so I don't see it happening any time soon.
Would never hit a girl ever in my life. just trying to prove my point here until you have played and been slew footed or blind sided don't go running your mouth on a topic you know NOTHING!!!! About that's all. Everybody has an opinion like you always say and that's mine.