2016-17 Predictions

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

2016-17 Predictions

Post by RocketGirl »

Camps are started/starting this week and although I haven't quite sorted out my predictions yet, figured I'd start the topic and see what people think this year will be like.

Does anyone know how the camps are going? Heard some things about different teams on the weekend at the Rockets camp, but not sure how much of it is accurate.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Marcie

Re: 2016-17 Predictions

Post by Marcie »

In my 20+ years with the league I have never seen so much player movement. We all know the reasons why. Teams lose the real good young ones to the OHL, others jump leagues trying to get more exposure for a scholarship. Kids are now 17 when they finish high school, so everyone tends to lose some as they go off to their post-secondary endeavours somewhere. With the non-import rule in effect it is a lot easier now for a player to stay in the GOJHL but request a trade to another team. The tail seems to be wagging the dog a lot more than it used to be. Can't say I like it. It is like we reshuffle the deck before the start of every season. Scouting and recruiting is more important now than ever. There has been a few coaching changes. Will that have an impact? There hasn't been a lot change in the standings for the last few years. Will we see any this year? I'm going to have to think a little further about my list.

Just for a starting point, in case you forgot, this is how things finished last year:

83 Leamington
67 London
67 LaSalle
66 Chatham
58 St. Thomas
51 Sarnia
38 Strathroy
23 St. Marys
20 Lambton Shores

There was 2 close races. St. Marys got in by 3 points over Lambton Shores for the last playoff spot and the 2nd, 3rd, 4th log jam. London and LaSalle ended up tied with Chatham a point back.
GOJHLFAN-999

Post by GOJHLFAN-999 »

My training camp prediction.

London
LaSalle
Leamington
St. Thomas
Sarnia
Strathroy
Chatham
St. Marys
Lambton Shores
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

1. Leamington
2. London
3. LaSalle
4. St.Thomas
5. Sarnia
6. Chatham
7. Strathroy
8. Lambton Shores
9. St.Marys
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

Port hockey1 wrote:1. Leamington
2. London
3. LaSalle
4. St.Thomas
5. Sarnia
6. Chatham
7. Strathroy
8. Lambton Shores
9. St.Marys
London in the west
Kitchener in mid west
Toss up in the shoe between st Kitts and the obvious corvairs
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Not that I necessarily disagree, but there's been nothing coming out of LaSalle all summer, so why do you think they'll be so high?

From what I'm hearing, again, I don't know the accuracy of it, but I'm told not to expect Leamington that high up. With St. Marys, I've seen some good things coming out lately that I think they're in the process of making improvements, but then I was told Sun. that they may not be able to ice a team.

You can take that as you will, because I was also informed that we couldn't even get 25 kids to come to camp, and there was clearly about 40 kids there.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Lilomnivore

Post by Lilomnivore »

I've been hearing a lot of rumours to do with Lasalle being the destination of choice for a lot of players this year, which may be what other people are hearing as well with them ranking them as they have.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

RocketGirl wrote:Not that I necessarily disagree, but there's been nothing coming out of LaSalle all summer, so why do you think they'll be so high?

From what I'm hearing, again, I don't know the accuracy of it, but I'm told not to expect Leamington that high up. With St. Marys, I've seen some good things coming out lately that I think they're in the process of making improvements, but then I was told Sun. that they may not be able to ice a team.

You can take that as you will, because I was also informed that we couldn't even get 25 kids to come to camp, and there was clearly about 40 kids there.
Camp was decent on the week do you agree. Hard to judge in just one weekend that's Forsure things do look on the up in rocket land though i can't see them finishing any higher then 5th but that would be an improvement from last year though. That would be ashame if ST. Mary's couldn't put a team on the ice this year though that's Forsure lots of history there hope they can get it turned around. Was your source a good one or just some talking though?
rhinomark50

Post by rhinomark50 »

RocketGirl wrote:Not that I necessarily disagree, but there's been nothing coming out of LaSalle all summer, so why do you think they'll be so high?

I know that the staff in Leamington is optimistic about the team that they'll be able to ice this season, and are fully expecting to be one of the better teams when the season is over. I wouldn't expect 1st but I'd be shocked if they don't have home ice in the playoffs.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

My predictions were mostly a shot in the dark. I could see London challenging for top spot, but the Flyers always seem to find a way in recent years. Great coaching goes a long ways at this level. LaSalle usually picks up some good kids from Jr.C, so I was just assuming they'll be a talented team this season.

I agree, it would be a shame if St.Marys was unable to ice a team. But I'm optimistic that they'll be able to ice a respectable team.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

Port hockey1 wrote:My predictions were mostly a shot in the dark. I could see London challenging for top spot, but the Flyers always seem to find a way in recent years. Great coaching goes a long ways at this level. LaSalle usually picks up some good kids from Jr.C, so I was just assuming they'll be a talented team this season.

I agree, it would be a shame if St.Marys was unable to ice a team. But I'm optimistic that they'll be able to ice a respectable team.
London has signed a lot of new players and are in rebuild but still won't finish below 500. Time will tell how the new ones adapt. Leamington is also in rebuild but will be patient. The will be ready for playoffs. LaSalle should return with a good core of 19 year olds and should finish top 2, likewise Sarnia has a good core of 18 year olds and will be more consistent than last year, should finish in the 2-4 range with St Thomas who are returning many strong players led by Carson Brookshaw. This group should be the top 5.

In the 6-8 range Chatham, Lambton Shores and Strathroy. This could be very tight but Lambton may get the upper hand with coaching. Although a parent coach Dobbin still seem to be able to attract some good kids to Forest like the Fischer brothers. Chatham lost a lot of key players and some locals have chosen to attend Lambton Shores and Strathroy instead. Strathroy lost a couple key players to age and some good prospects to university and Tier 2 Jr A. They have the potential to be stronger in spite of it but parent coaching may have the opposite effect.

The number 9 spot belongs to St Marys. They cleaned house in both the front office and behind the bench, but took so long to accomplish it that many of the prospects they did have fled for the OJHL or had asked for trades. They took so long getting on track that the best players available had committed elsewhere. The have hired former pro Mark Bell that alone could have drawn young players in but it was too late. It will be a long tough year, but I think they will still field a team.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

BillyTheKid wrote:Was your source a good one or just some talking though?
Based on the email that I received, I think the information about St. Marys was incorrect. I didn't really believe it to begin with because I've seen some stuff coming out of the Lincolns lately and it looks like they're finally on the right track and cleaning up the mess that was left by others.
Queen of the GOJHL

BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

RocketGirl wrote:
BillyTheKid wrote:Was your source a good one or just some talking though?
Based on the email that I received, I think the information about St. Marys was incorrect. I didn't really believe it to begin with because I've seen some stuff coming out of the Lincolns lately and it looks like they're finally on the right track and cleaning up the mess that was left by others.
That's good news then
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

The Lincolns' facebook posts all appear very upbeat and they play a preseason game tonight in Listowel We wish them well.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I finally started by preview and predictions today. I've got the West written so far, will work on Midwest and Shoe tomorrow. I hope to have them posted on OTSN on either Tues or Wed. I'm not sure if I'll post each Conference as separate articles, or if I'll just put it all as 1.
Queen of the GOJHL

flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Regular Season Prediction

1. London
2. Leamington
3. Lasalle
4. St. Thomas
5. Sarnia
6. Chatham
7. Strathroy
8. Lambton Shores

9. St Mary's
End of a era in Leamington
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

flyers2011 wrote:Regular Season Prediction

1. London
2. Leamington
3. Lasalle
4. St. Thomas
5. Sarnia
6. Chatham
7. Strathroy
8. Lambton Shores

9. St Mary's
I agree with you. London, Leamington and LaSalle will fight for top spot there the big three. This will be the closes conference again this year.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Scott Holland's preview of the West:
http://localsportsreport.com/gojhl/2016 ... ll-be-won/
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

The article you have all been waiting for! My preview and predictions for the Western Conference.

http://overtimesportsnation.com/western ... edictions/
Queen of the GOJHL

Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

I was surprise Leamington in the 5 to 7 spot.
Everyone else have them in the top 3. Gutsy call
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Based on some things I've heard, that's where I've placed them. We'll see in Feb. how I do.
Queen of the GOJHL

rhinomark50

Post by rhinomark50 »

RocketGirl wrote:Based on some things I've heard, that's where I've placed them. We'll see in Feb. how I do.
They could finish anywhere really. Their other goalie is Connor Meyerink, one of the top Jr C goalies last season. Their roster has been posted for nearly a week now.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Caledonia Fan wrote:I was surprise Leamington in the 5 to 7 spot.
Everyone else have them in the top 3. Gutsy call
That's interesting. I could see them slipping out of first, but not dropping that far down. Great coaching goes a long ways.

But then again, maybe she's right. I guess time will tell.
Last edited by Port hockey1 on Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Marcie wrote:Scott's Mid-West preview:
http://localsportsreport.com/gojhl/2016 ... e-preview/
Pretty much screwed up every team.

Kitchener does not have Schnarr (was in Waterloo, now in Guelph OHL), Lazzarino or Richardson. And they are mostly an old defense with four 20 year olds.

Brampton doesn't have Zanussi... Brantford does.

Waterloo doesn't have Schnarr anymore, or Degasperis.

Cambridge doesn't have Patton - he's quit hockey. That's been known for a long time.

This guy might know the West but he has zero clue about the Midwest and it shows every time. Someone tell him to stop.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

ILuvHackey wrote:
Marcie wrote:Scott's Mid-West preview:
http://localsportsreport.com/gojhl/2016 ... e-preview/
Pretty much screwed up every team.

Kitchener does not have Schnarr (was in Waterloo, now in Guelph OHL), Lazzarino or Richardson. And they are mostly an old defense with four 20 year olds.

Brampton doesn't have Zanussi... Brantford does.

Waterloo doesn't have Schnarr anymore, or Degasperis.

Cambridge doesn't have Patton - he's quit hockey. That's been known for a long time.

This guy might know the West but he has zero clue about the Midwest and it shows every time. Someone tell him to stop.
They all should stop to be honest with there previews. He also said Kevin Hu on ST. Thomas played Jr.c last year when he played beer league last year in the GMHL. At least rocket girl does a little bit of research before she posts
SebJHockey

Post by SebJHockey »

Here is episode 6 of ITG Podcast, we did SOME predictions. Talked about some other general league stuff as well!

http://overtimesportsnation.com/in-the- ... much-more/