Schedule

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Seth
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:49 pm

Re: Schedule

Post by Seth » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:14 pm

Pretty sure it's a Pointstreak deal, the Midwestern C League schedule has been finalized for three weeks and some teams have posted them on their sites but Pointstreak still hasn't added them on their site yet.




GOJHLfan1
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:02 pm

Re: Schedule

Post by GOJHLfan1 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:45 pm

Seth wrote:Pretty sure it's a Pointstreak deal, the Midwestern C League schedule has been finalized for three weeks and some teams have posted them on their sites but Pointstreak still hasn't added them on their site yet.
Well teams get it in advance to make sure no changes need to be made and arena booking. Whoever runs pointstreak for the league posts it.

Undertaker
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:18 am

Re: Schedule

Post by Undertaker » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:48 pm

The issues lie with the league. Until this week their latest news was that Tyler Wall was drafted by the New York Rangers, they only added the 2016/17 preseason and regular season fields this week so there was no where to put the information. When you look at the preseason schedule it shows Strathroy with no opponent on Aug 27th. Of course a quick visit to the team facebook page shows that there is an opponent that night. With the team's inability to post transactions to pointstreak because it hasn't been set up until now leaves the fans in the dark, maybe where they belong. Other leagues distribute information so much better. There will be minor time and venue changes in every league after schedule releases just like every other season and in every league. Time to advance to where the bar has been set by the "A" leagues if that is where we want to be.

HockeyDad1
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:04 pm

Re: Schedule

Post by HockeyDad1 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:36 am

Undertaker wrote:The issues lie with the league. Until this week their latest news was that Tyler Wall was drafted by the New York Rangers, they only added the 2016/17 preseason and regular season fields this week so there was no where to put the information. When you look at the preseason schedule it shows Strathroy with no opponent on Aug 27th. Of course a quick visit to the team facebook page shows that there is an opponent that night. With the team's inability to post transactions to pointstreak because it hasn't been set up until now leaves the fans in the dark, maybe where they belong. Other leagues distribute information so much better. There will be minor time and venue changes in every league after schedule releases just like every other season and in every league. Time to advance to where the bar has been set by the "A" leagues if that is where we want to be.
10000 percent. Did they just shut down for 3 months? That's not what Jr A leagues do. How hard is it to post an update now and again. Every new head coach or GM is posted on the OJ site. We've had quite a few changes in the GOJHL, but we woudn't know that based on what the GOJ's site says. How hard would it be to post 100 words on 'new coach in Fort Erie', that's what the current Jr A league does.

I believe the OJ had their 2017 pointstreak up in May. How hard is it to get a schedule approved. You can say 'there where problems' but that's why you work it out when the team applies for re-instatment. If there are issue work it out then, there's no excuse here.

We scream and complain all the time about not being Jr A, well how about we do the basics before we start to try to be something? Jr A leagues have updates on their site, they post a schedule. Take care of your own backyard before complaining about what you are not.

fanofgame
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Re: Schedule

Post by fanofgame » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:21 am

While I understand the frustration as well as the desire to know where when who your team is playing, I ask this. Can you do better? If so by all means step to the plate and throw your name in the hat to take over the duties of those whom are trying to get this stuff done. This team wants to play on this day at this time while the other team can't be there until another day at another time, is this team in or out, when will this team be ready or when are they available, oh look this teams rink is not available this day, there are several mitigating factors and those involved are doing what they can. Sadly however we seem to want complain and have no appreciation for what gets done.

rant over

GOJHLfan1
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:02 pm

Re: Schedule

Post by GOJHLfan1 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:31 pm

fanofgame wrote:While I understand the frustration as well as the desire to know where when who your team is playing, I ask this. Can you do better? If so by all means step to the plate and throw your name in the hat to take over the duties of those whom are trying to get this stuff done. This team wants to play on this day at this time while the other team can't be there until another day at another time, is this team in or out, when will this team be ready or when are they available, oh look this teams rink is not available this day, there are several mitigating factors and those involved are doing what they can. Sadly however we seem to want complain and have no appreciation for what gets done.

rant over

While I agree with you I still think a month before the season and theres no schedule out is a problem. If this was 3 months ago nobody is complaining because its early still. Were all just excited for the season to start.

HockeyDad1
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:04 pm

Re: Schedule

Post by HockeyDad1 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:40 pm

fanofgame wrote:While I understand the frustration as well as the desire to know where when who your team is playing, I ask this. Can you do better? If so by all means step to the plate and throw your name in the hat to take over the duties of those whom are trying to get this stuff done. This team wants to play on this day at this time while the other team can't be there until another day at another time, is this team in or out, when will this team be ready or when are they available, oh look this teams rink is not available this day, there are several mitigating factors and those involved are doing what they can. Sadly however we seem to want complain and have no appreciation for what gets done.

rant over
Every single league in Ontario, Jc C, Jr A, OHL have had their schedule out months ago. AAA programs have their schedule out. My youngest's houseleague team has a schedule.

If all those leagues have done it, the GOJHL should be there. Id like to think that if they are Jr A, they can get a schedule out as quickly as my kids houseleague league. Just a thought.

fanofgame
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Re: Schedule

Post by fanofgame » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:53 pm

HockeyDad1 wrote:
fanofgame wrote:While I understand the frustration as well as the desire to know where when who your team is playing, I ask this. Can you do better? If so by all means step to the plate and throw your name in the hat to take over the duties of those whom are trying to get this stuff done. This team wants to play on this day at this time while the other team can't be there until another day at another time, is this team in or out, when will this team be ready or when are they available, oh look this teams rink is not available this day, there are several mitigating factors and those involved are doing what they can. Sadly however we seem to want complain and have no appreciation for what gets done.

rant over
Every single league in Ontario, Jc C, Jr A, OHL have had their schedule out months ago. AAA programs have their schedule out. My youngest's houseleague team has a schedule.

If all those leagues have done it, the GOJHL should be there. Id like to think that if they are Jr A, they can get a schedule out as quickly as my kids houseleague league. Just a thought.


Again I ask can you do better? If so by all means please step up and try. Instead of complaining lets look at this fact HOCKEY IS ALMOST BACK!!.

HockeyDad1
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:04 pm

Re: Schedule

Post by HockeyDad1 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:07 pm

No, but every single league in Ontario at various level seems to be doing better.

Just because I can't do better, doesn't make the league free from criticism. I think its fair to expect that a schedule be out ahead of minor hockey leagues. I think its fair to ask that it be out with every other Jr league.

Its not about if I can do it better, other leagues seem to be doing it better. Its not even better, its the act of simply doing it.

User avatar
leafs63
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:44 pm

Re: Schedule

Post by leafs63 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:22 pm

Where can I find the Jr C schedule you are talking about? I have only found the preseason schedule that was posted a few weeks ago, not months ago like you say.

User avatar
Port hockey1
Posts: 2607
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:48 pm
Location: Maroon's

Re: Schedule

Post by Port hockey1 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:26 pm

fanofgame wrote:
HockeyDad1 wrote:
fanofgame wrote:While I understand the frustration as well as the desire to know where when who your team is playing, I ask this. Can you do better? If so by all means step to the plate and throw your name in the hat to take over the duties of those whom are trying to get this stuff done. This team wants to play on this day at this time while the other team can't be there until another day at another time, is this team in or out, when will this team be ready or when are they available, oh look this teams rink is not available this day, there are several mitigating factors and those involved are doing what they can. Sadly however we seem to want complain and have no appreciation for what gets done.

rant over
Every single league in Ontario, Jc C, Jr A, OHL have had their schedule out months ago. AAA programs have their schedule out. My youngest's houseleague team has a schedule.

If all those leagues have done it, the GOJHL should be there. Id like to think that if they are Jr A, they can get a schedule out as quickly as my kids houseleague league. Just a thought.


Again I ask can you do better? If so by all means please step up and try. Instead of complaining lets look at this fact HOCKEY IS ALMOST BACK!!.

You're getting pretty lame. Someone doesn't have to do better in order to complain. Fans, parents, etc. all have the right to voice their opinions.

BTW: Looks like a lot of people can do better, as this is the only league dealing with these problems.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102

User avatar
Port hockey1
Posts: 2607
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:48 pm
Location: Maroon's

Re: Schedule

Post by Port hockey1 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:27 pm

HockeyDad1 wrote:No, but every single league in Ontario at various level seems to be doing better.

Just because I can't do better, doesn't make the league free from criticism. I think its fair to expect that a schedule be out ahead of minor hockey leagues. I think its fair to ask that it be out with every other Jr league.

Its not about if I can do it better, other leagues seem to be doing it better. Its not even better, its the act of simply doing it.
Nailed it!
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102

HockeyDad1
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:04 pm

Re: Schedule

Post by HockeyDad1 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:53 pm

leafs63 wrote:Where can I find the Jr C schedule you are talking about? I have only found the preseason schedule that was posted a few weeks ago, not months ago like you say.
My mistake, meant CCHL. Either way its mid August. The players are a week or so away from camp and we can't even plan when we are going to see our kid play? Thats not fair. I get its not easy, its not a simple thing to do, but every other league seems to have found a way to do it and get it out a month or so ago, why are we trailing behind? I get there was an issue, but if you approve a team into the league, its approved. Can't backtrack afterwords.

GOJHLfan1
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:02 pm

Re: Schedule

Post by GOJHLfan1 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:02 pm

HockeyDad1 wrote:
leafs63 wrote:Where can I find the Jr C schedule you are talking about? I have only found the preseason schedule that was posted a few weeks ago, not months ago like you say.
My mistake, meant CCHL. Either way its mid August. The players are a week or so away from camp and we can't even plan when we are going to see our kid play? Thats not fair. I get its not easy, its not a simple thing to do, but every other league seems to have found a way to do it and get it out a month or so ago, why are we trailing behind? I get there was an issue, but if you approve a team into the league, its approved. Can't backtrack afterwords.
They didnt approve them, that was the problem

HockeyDad1
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:04 pm

Re: Schedule

Post by HockeyDad1 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:12 pm

GOJHLfan1 wrote:
HockeyDad1 wrote:
leafs63 wrote:Where can I find the Jr C schedule you are talking about? I have only found the preseason schedule that was posted a few weeks ago, not months ago like you say.
My mistake, meant CCHL. Either way its mid August. The players are a week or so away from camp and we can't even plan when we are going to see our kid play? Thats not fair. I get its not easy, its not a simple thing to do, but every other league seems to have found a way to do it and get it out a month or so ago, why are we trailing behind? I get there was an issue, but if you approve a team into the league, its approved. Can't backtrack afterwords.
They didn't approve them, that was the problem
They never approved the new team? So then they are not on the schedule. Try again next year. That's why you have deadlines, to ensure that everything is ready to go by a certain point, correct?

The Regal's tweeted that they had their USA Hockey approval in January. I'm sure they didn't wait much longer than that to let the league know. No reason why its still an issue 8 months later?

fanofgame
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Re: Schedule

Post by fanofgame » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:16 pm

@ HockeyDad1 I totally understand the frustration and by all means this is the beauty of social media the ability to voice your displeasure. I was not so much pointing you out as saying in general the need to complain. just an example ( the complaint about having Niagara instead of Niagara Falls, yes there are 6 teams in Niagara however only 1 of them play in our league if I am not mistaken. Or St. Marys instead of St. Mary's I get it but spell check doesn't. LOL The league needs improvements there is no doubt it is far from being perfect but lets pick and choose our battles maybe?

fanofgame
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Re: Schedule

Post by fanofgame » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:18 pm

HockeyDad1 wrote:
GOJHLfan1 wrote:
HockeyDad1 wrote:
My mistake, meant CCHL. Either way its mid August. The players are a week or so away from camp and we can't even plan when we are going to see our kid play? Thats not fair. I get its not easy, its not a simple thing to do, but every other league seems to have found a way to do it and get it out a month or so ago, why are we trailing behind? I get there was an issue, but if you approve a team into the league, its approved. Can't backtrack afterwords.
They didn't approve them, that was the problem
They never approved the new team? So then they are not on the schedule. Try again next year. That's why you have deadlines, to ensure that everything is ready to go by a certain point, correct?

The Regal's tweeted that they had their USA Hockey approval in January. I'm sure they didn't wait much longer than that to let the league know. No reason why its still an issue 8 months later?
They are not a new team they are a team that dropped out of our league last year and is returning this year, there may or may not have been some issues with that

HockeyDad1
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:04 pm

Re: Schedule

Post by HockeyDad1 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:22 pm

fanofgame wrote:
HockeyDad1 wrote:
GOJHLfan1 wrote:
They didn't approve them, that was the problem
They never approved the new team? So then they are not on the schedule. Try again next year. That's why you have deadlines, to ensure that everything is ready to go by a certain point, correct?

The Regal's tweeted that they had their USA Hockey approval in January. I'm sure they didn't wait much longer than that to let the league know. No reason why its still an issue 8 months later?
They are not a new team they are a team that dropped out of our league last year and is returning this year, there may or may not have been some issues with that
But its the same thing. If you can't get your things together by a date, presumably in April/May when the schedule should be starting to be built, then your not in again. Its not on the GOJHL to let them back in after folding, its on the team to prove they can have a team. If they couldn't do it by a certain date, sorry but we move on. There's no reason for it to bleed all the way into August. They had since January it would appear to figure it all out.

HockeyDad1
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:04 pm

Re: Schedule

Post by HockeyDad1 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:35 pm

fanofgame wrote:@ HockeyDad1 I totally understand the frustration and by all means this is the beauty of social media the ability to voice your displeasure. I was not so much pointing you out as saying in general the need to complain. just an example ( the complaint about having Niagara instead of Niagara Falls, yes there are 6 teams in Niagara however only 1 of them play in our league if I am not mistaken. Or St. Marys instead of St. Mary's I get it but spell check doesn't. LOL The league needs improvements there is no doubt it is far from being perfect but lets pick and choose our battles maybe?
I'm actually not one to complain. I started this thread as a general question asking in a fun way when the schedule was being posted. I thought it would be any day at that point but figured why not have fun.

Its become a bit of a farce at this point. I still assume it will be out any day, but there could be a ligitimite chance that players will report to rookie/main camps without knowing when their first home game is.

We complain that scouts don't watch our players because of the Jr B tag, well I can promise you not giving them a schedule is a great way to not get them to games.

I wouldn't care that much if I didn't have a kid in the league and wanted to perhaps schedule our days to go see him play, or listen to the commish being upset that they are not Jr A. Well thats all good, but if your going to complain about not being Jr A, you better be acting like a Jr A league. Having a schedule out well in advance of camps is probably on page 1 of that 'Jr A manual'.

I emailed, no responce. My friend who scouts for the London Knights emailed, no response. If you want to ignore a father, fine, a scout? Really? You can't complain about scouts not going to games when you wont even show them the respect to scouts? Must be nice.

fanofgame
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Re: Schedule

Post by fanofgame » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:05 pm

HockeyDad1 wrote:
fanofgame wrote:@ HockeyDad1 I totally understand the frustration and by all means this is the beauty of social media the ability to voice your displeasure. I was not so much pointing you out as saying in general the need to complain. just an example ( the complaint about having Niagara instead of Niagara Falls, yes there are 6 teams in Niagara however only 1 of them play in our league if I am not mistaken. Or St. Marys instead of St. Mary's I get it but spell check doesn't. LOL The league needs improvements there is no doubt it is far from being perfect but lets pick and choose our battles maybe?
I'm actually not one to complain. I started this thread as a general question asking in a fun way when the schedule was being posted. I thought it would be any day at that point but figured why not have fun.

Its become a bit of a farce at this point. I still assume it will be out any day, but there could be a ligitimite chance that players will report to rookie/main camps without knowing when their first home game is.

We complain that scouts don't watch our players because of the Jr B tag, well I can promise you not giving them a schedule is a great way to not get them to games.

I wouldn't care that much if I didn't have a kid in the league and wanted to perhaps schedule our days to go see him play, or listen to the commish being upset that they are not Jr A. Well thats all good, but if your going to complain about not being Jr A, you better be acting like a Jr A league. Having a schedule out well in advance of camps is probably on page 1 of that 'Jr A manual'.

I emailed, no responce. My friend who scouts for the London Knights emailed, no response. If you want to ignore a father, fine, a scout? Really? You can't complain about scouts not going to games when you wont even show them the respect to scouts? Must be nice.
who did you email? the League or The coach of your Son's team? I am pretty sure that much like the Showcase Schedule there was some tweaking that needed to be done, that being said I totally understand what you are saying.

HockeyDad1
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:04 pm

Re: Schedule

Post by HockeyDad1 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:31 pm

fanofgame wrote:
HockeyDad1 wrote:
fanofgame wrote:@ HockeyDad1 I totally understand the frustration and by all means this is the beauty of social media the ability to voice your displeasure. I was not so much pointing you out as saying in general the need to complain. just an example ( the complaint about having Niagara instead of Niagara Falls, yes there are 6 teams in Niagara however only 1 of them play in our league if I am not mistaken. Or St. Marys instead of St. Mary's I get it but spell check doesn't. LOL The league needs improvements there is no doubt it is far from being perfect but lets pick and choose our battles maybe?
I'm actually not one to complain. I started this thread as a general question asking in a fun way when the schedule was being posted. I thought it would be any day at that point but figured why not have fun.

Its become a bit of a farce at this point. I still assume it will be out any day, but there could be a ligitimite chance that players will report to rookie/main camps without knowing when their first home game is.

We complain that scouts don't watch our players because of the Jr B tag, well I can promise you not giving them a schedule is a great way to not get them to games.

I wouldn't care that much if I didn't have a kid in the league and wanted to perhaps schedule our days to go see him play, or listen to the commish being upset that they are not Jr A. Well thats all good, but if your going to complain about not being Jr A, you better be acting like a Jr A league. Having a schedule out well in advance of camps is probably on page 1 of that 'Jr A manual'.

I emailed, no responce. My friend who scouts for the London Knights emailed, no response. If you want to ignore a father, fine, a scout? Really? You can't complain about scouts not going to games when you wont even show them the respect to scouts? Must be nice.
who did you email? the League or The coach of your Son's team? I am pretty sure that much like the Showcase Schedule there was some tweaking that needed to be done, that being said I totally understand what you are saying.
Both myself and my friend emailed the league. Zero response. You don't want to email me, fine, but at least cultivate the relationship with the scout. He never got any response either. My friend that scouts for London is pissed off that a tournament in October that doesn't have its schedule up yet because he's working on his schedule for that month. Goes to show you what not having a schedule out can do for not getting scouts in rinks. He's already completed his September schedule. Im sure he'll alter it, but why force him too? Get it out when everyone else does.

Red blacks
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:59 pm

Re: Schedule

Post by Red blacks » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:15 pm

fanofgame wrote:@ HockeyDad1 I totally understand the frustration and by all means this is the beauty of social media the ability to voice your displeasure. I was not so much pointing you out as saying in general the need to complain. just an example ( the complaint about having Niagara instead of Niagara Falls, yes there are 6 teams in Niagara however only 1 of them play in our league if I am not mistaken. Or St. Marys instead of St. Mary's I get it but spell check doesn't. LOL The league needs improvements there is no doubt it is far from being perfect but lets pick and choose our battles maybe?
Am I missing something "yes there are 6 teams in niagara however only 1 of them play in our leaque if I am not mistaken"what about (welland thorold st.kitts etc etc)

Undertaker
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:18 am

Re: Schedule

Post by Undertaker » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:07 pm

fanofgame wrote:While I understand the frustration as well as the desire to know where when who your team is playing, I ask this. Can you do better? If so by all means step to the plate and throw your name in the hat to take over the duties of those whom are trying to get this stuff done. This team wants to play on this day at this time while the other team can't be there until another day at another time, is this team in or out, when will this team be ready or when are they available, oh look this teams rink is not available this day, there are several mitigating factors and those involved are doing what they can. Sadly however we seem to want complain and have no appreciation for what gets done.

rant over
The league collects in excess of $450K from its own players through the new GOJHL fee implemented last year. One might think they could spare a couple hundred to have someone update pointstreak so that the GMs could at least update the transaction page like the real Jr A leagues have done since June. Its not up to a fan to "step up" to do better, this isn't supposed to be run like minor hockey, it should look somewhat professional. I don't know why a team would not be "available" or "ready to play" unless it was before the showcase. After that there should be no barriers to playing unless someone was planning to enter their team in a tournament somewhere, last I checked Silverstick didn't have a Jr B division. As for Buffalo, if they weren't committed to play by the conclusion of last year's Sutherland Cup, the they should have been told to try to be ready for 2017/18 season then. The schedule has been done for sometime with some question marks in the Shoe because of the Buffalo status. I know many teams disclosed showcase opponents, home opener dates and opponents to their returning players and season ticket holders long ago, the information hold up lies with the league and its administration, or lack of it with pointstreak.

Rant On

HockeyDad1
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:04 pm

Re: Schedule

Post by HockeyDad1 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:50 pm

Undertaker wrote:
fanofgame wrote:While I understand the frustration as well as the desire to know where when who your team is playing, I ask this. Can you do better? If so by all means step to the plate and throw your name in the hat to take over the duties of those whom are trying to get this stuff done. This team wants to play on this day at this time while the other team can't be there until another day at another time, is this team in or out, when will this team be ready or when are they available, oh look this teams rink is not available this day, there are several mitigating factors and those involved are doing what they can. Sadly however we seem to want complain and have no appreciation for what gets done.

rant over
The league collects in excess of $450K from its own players through the new GOJHL fee implemented last year. One might think they could spare a couple hundred to have someone update pointstreak so that the GMs could at least update the transaction page like the real Jr A leagues have done since June. Its not up to a fan to "step up" to do better, this isn't supposed to be run like minor hockey, it should look somewhat professional. I don't know why a team would not be "available" or "ready to play" unless it was before the showcase. After that there should be no barriers to playing unless someone was planning to enter their team in a tournament somewhere, last I checked Silverstick didn't have a Jr B division. As for Buffalo, if they weren't committed to play by the conclusion of last year's Sutherland Cup, the they should have been told to try to be ready for 2017/18 season then. The schedule has been done for sometime with some question marks in the Shoe because of the Buffalo status. I know many teams disclosed showcase opponents, home opener dates and opponents to their returning players and season ticket holders long ago, the information hold up lies with the league and its administration, or lack of it with pointstreak.

Rant On
And more to that point, if Buffalo was going to be an issue, and it seemed like it would given its past, why give it so much grace? Why wait for them? Are they worth holding everyone hostage over? If they didn't know back in April if they could field a team, then gone. If they didn't have enough players in June, cut them and go with the backup schedule. Its fine and dandy to say 'oh, its buffalo's fault', well its not like this situation is new, there's zero reason why it couldn't have been dealt with months ago. Only reason I can think of is because the league closed its office and everyone wanted the summer of? Not sure if thats true, but it sure feels like it.

My younger kids first houseleague game, which I got the schedule for last week, is about 5 weeks away. Just saying.

GOJHLfan1
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:02 pm

Re: Schedule

Post by GOJHLfan1 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:36 am

Undertaker wrote:
fanofgame wrote:While I understand the frustration as well as the desire to know where when who your team is playing, I ask this. Can you do better? If so by all means step to the plate and throw your name in the hat to take over the duties of those whom are trying to get this stuff done. This team wants to play on this day at this time while the other team can't be there until another day at another time, is this team in or out, when will this team be ready or when are they available, oh look this teams rink is not available this day, there are several mitigating factors and those involved are doing what they can. Sadly however we seem to want complain and have no appreciation for what gets done.

rant over
The league collects in excess of $450K from its own players through the new GOJHL fee implemented last year. One might think they could spare a couple hundred to have someone update pointstreak so that the GMs could at least update the transaction page like the real Jr A leagues have done since June. Its not up to a fan to "step up" to do better, this isn't supposed to be run like minor hockey, it should look somewhat professional. I don't know why a team would not be "available" or "ready to play" unless it was before the showcase. After that there should be no barriers to playing unless someone was planning to enter their team in a tournament somewhere, last I checked Silverstick didn't have a Jr B division. As for Buffalo, if they weren't committed to play by the conclusion of last year's Sutherland Cup, the they should have been told to try to be ready for 2017/18 season then. The schedule has been done for sometime with some question marks in the Shoe because of the Buffalo status. I know many teams disclosed showcase opponents, home opener dates and opponents to their returning players and season ticket holders long ago, the information hold up lies with the league and its administration, or lack of it with pointstreak.

Rant On
I would do it

HockeyDad1
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:04 pm

Re: Schedule

Post by HockeyDad1 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:56 pm

Random question for fans,

Hows parking at the London Showcase? Ive heard last year there where some issues.

Thanks

GOJHLfan1
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:02 pm

Re: Schedule

Post by GOJHLfan1 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:47 pm

HockeyDad1 wrote:Random question for fans,

Hows parking at the London Showcase? Ive heard last year there where some issues.

Thanks
Its bad because the Western Fair is going on at the same time

drafty
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:01 pm

Re: Schedule

Post by drafty » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:08 pm

there are 6 teams in Niagara however only 1 of them play in our league
Niagara Falls, St.Catharines, Welland, Fort Erie, Thorold, Pelham. Looks like 6 to me, and I'm pretty sure they all play in the GOJHL.

Undertaker
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:18 am

Re: Schedule

Post by Undertaker » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:36 am

If you are there by about 10:00 you won't have much problem finding a spot, after that you are likely waiting for someone to leave. The fair goers fill the lot by noon and there is also a 4th pad that was running minor hockey games as well. Most scouts will know this from last year, next to the lack of player profiles last year the next biggest complaint was having to park blocks away unless they wanted to pay to get into a lot that was open for fair goers. They really should reserve a section for scout parking or at least allow them to park where the buses are. The other issue is the timing of it. Most leagues do their showcase near the end of September after a handful of games. Waiting until the teams have a few games under their belts and all the players back from OHL camps would show a much better brand of hockey. Some teams looked very sloppy last year with players adjusting to a new faster league with new rules. Some of the rules like the menu of warm up violations the GOJHL has and last season's crackdown on the chinstrap rule last season that saw parades of new players sent off with misconducts. Other than the main pad there are no announcements, so it is hard to know the details until when ever Pointstreak gets updated (often post game). It would be better to do this later when the arena facilities are better able to accommodate this many games, and the players are up to speed and back from camps. Just my opinion.

ILuvHackey
Posts: 361
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:26 am

Re: Schedule

Post by ILuvHackey » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:14 am

Undertaker wrote:If you are there by about 10:00 you won't have much problem finding a spot, after that you are likely waiting for someone to leave. The fair goers fill the lot by noon and there is also a 4th pad that was running minor hockey games as well. Most scouts will know this from last year, next to the lack of player profiles last year the next biggest complaint was having to park blocks away unless they wanted to pay to get into a lot that was open for fair goers. They really should reserve a section for scout parking or at least allow them to park where the buses are. The other issue is the timing of it. Most leagues do their showcase near the end of September after a handful of games. Waiting until the teams have a few games under their belts and all the players back from OHL camps would show a much better brand of hockey. Some teams looked very sloppy last year with players adjusting to a new faster league with new rules. Some of the rules like the menu of warm up violations the GOJHL has and last season's crackdown on the chinstrap rule last season that saw parades of new players sent off with misconducts. Other than the main pad there are no announcements, so it is hard to know the details until when ever Pointstreak gets updated (often post game). It would be better to do this later when the arena facilities are better able to accommodate this many games, and the players are up to speed and back from camps. Just my opinion.
I complained about the timing last year to a guy I know who works for a team. His basic response was that the NCAA programs told them that the first weekend of season worked best. The GOJ wanted mid-season, but to get as many school scouts out, they moved it early.

Post Reply