GOJHL - Jr. A?

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

ILuvHackey

GOJHL - Jr. A?

Post by ILuvHackey »

http://www.therecord.com/sports-story/6 ... ion-again/

WATERLOO — The Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League's bid for reclassification to Tier-2 Jr. A isn't going away any time soon.

Representatives from all 26 Jr. B teams in the GOJHL — including local entries Kitchener Dutchmen, Waterloo Siskins, Cambridge Winter Hawks, Elmira Sugar Kings and Guelph Hurricanes — will try again at a meeting later this month to persuade their provincial governing body.

A couple years ago, the Ontario Hockey Association struck down a request from the GOJHL for reclassification, saying it had an exclusive Tier-2 Jr. A agreement with the Ontario Junior Hockey League.

This time, the GOJHL, which stretches from near Windsor to Fort Erie, north to Listowel and as far east as Brampton, will argue it represents the second largest minor hockey registration in the country.

"The teams want Jr. A for their communities and players," said Siskins president Curtis Clairmont. "Our kids shouldn't have to leave home to play Jr. A hockey."

On that point, the entire GOJHL is united, said the league's commissioner.

"One of the main goals of Hockey Canada and the Ontario Hockey Federation is to have players play at the highest level possible while closest to home," said GOJHL commissioner Chuck Williams, of Waterloo.

"The GOJHL has become much more organized from a governance point of view," added Williams. "So, along with all of this, it's a natural next step to look for a status change to Jr. A."

The GOJHL member teams have long lamented that they lose some players to Tier-2 Jr. A clubs, which are often afforded more respect from Ontario Hockey League and U.S. and Canadian college scouts even though the level of play is comparable, Clairmont said.

"We've demonstrated over the years we run a classy league. We believe we earned (reclassification)," Clairmont said.

"It behooves us as a league and as an association to ensure players within the footprint of the GOJHL have that same opportunity to play at (the Tier-2 Jr. A level)," Williams said.

Williams is "optimistic" the OHA will grant the league's request and perhaps in time for this season, but the league is prepared to take further steps within its constitution if its application is rejected again, he said.

Reclassification has been "a relentless pursuit" for GOJHL operators for three years, Clairmont said.

"In some way, shape or form, we will have Jr. A hockey in Southwestern Ontario."

The OHA could not be reached immediately for comment.
nfnucks99

Re: GOJHL - Jr. A?

Post by nfnucks99 »

If the league gets jr A classification do you think the team fees would go up like the oj?
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Making GOJHL Jr- A only makes since. It will probably save both leagues.

http://thejuniorhockeynews.com/gojhl-se ... t-granted/
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Red blacks

Post by Red blacks »

Caledonia Fan wrote:Here's more on the GO going JR-A

http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/sports-sto ... tus-again/
williams is '' optimistic' the oha will grant the request and perhaps in time for this season,but the leaque is prepared to take further steps within its constitution if its application is rejected again. approx. 2 weeks later should the application be turned down again williams said there are processes built into the constitution of the oha,ohf and hockey canada and we would have to follow those processes. seems to me he is contradicting himself.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

It will be rejected again. The OHA is a corrupt joke!
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

There are some things the GOJHL needs to do better. When I look on the BCHL or the OJHL websites and get relatively up to date information on players coming in, or leaving or trades. Our website is so far behind it isn't funny. Tyler Wall was drafted, before that Caledonia won the Sutherland Cup. Anything else that has happened you need to follow the twitter feeds other than the GOJHL one to get current information on signings and trades. coaching changes etc. Bottom line it that it is the leagues responsibility to advertise its product and it sorely needs to be done better.

The GOJHL prospect game is a good idea, but it needs to focus more on players that have not been featured before. It needs to be at least 50% players that have not been in the game before

Fast Hockey is a nice idea if only they could shoot though the glass or somewhere else without the haze from the white mesh that most rinks have.

Finally, the league has done a great job developing younger players for higher leagues and we shouldn't lose sight of that as an accomplishment. That said, the OJHL is not a strong A league and I don't think in the end it will benefit the GOJHL to join their league. If the CCHL can operate in Ontario outside the OHA umbrella there should be no reason that Hockey Canada should not allow the GOJHL to do the same. It goes with out saying that all 27 teams could not do the jump to A, simply because they all don't have the resources to play in an A league.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

With the Prospect's Game, I believe that every team should be showcased. If you take last year's event, Sarnia's only selection was an alternate goalie, who didn't attend, and Guelph, who was hosting the event, was an alternate goalie who also was not there, and yet St. Thomas had 4 guys there, and not 1 was selected as an alternate. There's about 40 skater positions available, there's no reason why all 27 teams can't be represented. I agree that if you've been to the Prospect's Game before, you shouldn't be allowed to go, or at the very most, you're an alternate. I think that somebody like John Warren, who's played 32 games for the London Knights, shouldn't be an option to go either. Traditionally, the game is usually one Conference vs. another, with the 3rd split between both teams. In my opinion, we're supposed to be one league, I think both teams should be made up of all 3 Conferences.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Undertaker wrote:There are some things the GOJHL needs to do better. When I look on the BCHL or the OJHL websites and get relatively up to date information on players coming in, or leaving or trades. Our website is so far behind it isn't funny. Tyler Wall was drafted, before that Caledonia won the Sutherland Cup. Anything else that has happened you need to follow the twitter feeds other than the GOJHL one to get current information on signings and trades. coaching changes etc. Bottom line it that it is the leagues responsibility to advertise its product and it sorely needs to be done better.
Well said!
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

According to the TJHN the decision is already made. And there probably right.

http://thejuniorhockeynews.com/ontario- ... eady-made/
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Caledonia Fan wrote:According to the TJHN the decision is already made. And there probably right.

http://thejuniorhockeynews.com/ontario- ... eady-made/
Pretty much sums it up. Just more smoke from the league...
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

GOJHL aims to raise its ‘B’ status
By Morris Dalla Costa, The London Free Press

The Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League is knocking on the Ontario Hockey Association’s door yet again looking for entry to junior A ranks.

In 2014 the junior B GOJHL approached the OHA about the same thing — to be reclassified from B to A. The OHA turned the league away.

Now it’s “knock, knock. We’re back.”

This time the GOJHL believes it’s arrived with something better to present to the OHA.

“We’re much better organized for an application like this, this time around,” said GOJHL commissioner Chuck Williams. “We put together a pretty compelling presentation to give the OHA a rationale to make the status change from junior B to junior A.”

That includes a stronger league infrastructure including a board of directors representing all teams, a constitution and the league having incorporated as a not-for-profit.

“One of the differences from 2014 to now is the GOJHL has done a lot of work creating a governing structure that was not in place in 2014 — there’s a board of directors representing all of the teams, there’s a constitution, the league is incorporated as not-for-profit,” said Williams.

Even though junior B hockey played at the GOJHL level allows for players to be scouted for university and some for development to the Ontario Hockey League, getting an A status will be a further attraction for players to remain closer to home to play hockey.

There’s little question the calibre of junior B hockey is as good or better than many of the junior A clubs but for some, that high level of the alphabet leaves them with the impression that the A-calibre hockey is better than B.

“Even though our players will stay with us to play for four years, then go a year to play junior A somewhere and get a scholarship, we’ve developed that player all along,” Williams said.

“What we’re saying is we’re already playing at that level, the junior A status will help us to be recognized as such.

“We feel most NCAA and OHL, CIS scouts already view us as junior A calibre in terms of play but this would help us keep our players in our league.”

In terms of getting a scholarship, many players opt to join junior A teams later in their junior careers because of the perception A is better than B.

The GOJHL is a 27-team league that stretches throughout southwestern Ontario and the Golden Horseshoe divided into three conferences.

Williams says the reception his league has received for the application this time is already more positive than two years ago.

“The OHA will appreciate the fact that we put in so much time into research and data collection to help support our application for Junior A status,” Williams said. “It’s a way to give equality to our players to play Junior A in our footprint, closer to home. That would support their success not only in hockey but in academics. Then there is the social network, supports and family and things like that.”

Williams said this time around the GOJHL followed the process to the letter. Williams said the OHA granted him the chance to make a full presentation to the OHA board which didn’t happen in 2014.

“I would be hard for anyone to dispute that our presentation supports Junior A status for your league,” Williams said. “What I appreciate very much that the OHA granted us the opportunity to present this.”

Williams said he is waiting to hear if the OHA has any further questions about the application. Within a few weeks after that, Williams said he would expect a decision to be made.

“However we also know, in the event we are granted Junior A status, we would be looking at, at least a season or two for the transition to that level,” Williams said.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2016/08/ ... r-a-denied

No big surprise here where would Tier 2 JR-A get easy prospects from, with little work involved and cheap too.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Caledonia Fan wrote:http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2016/08/ ... r-a-denied

No big surprise here where would Tier 2 JR-A get easy prospects from, with little work involved and cheap too.
http://www.therecord.com/sports-story/6 ... ation-bid/
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Caledonia Fan wrote:
Caledonia Fan wrote:http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2016/08/ ... r-a-denied

http://www.therecord.com/sports-story/6 ... ation-bid/
http://www.stratfordbeaconherald.com/20 ... r-a-league
Canuckalhead

Post by Canuckalhead »

What does the OHA and Hockey Canada provide for the GOJHL?????? INSURANCE That's it folks! If they want Jr. A status, call yourself Jr. A and get your INSURANCE from the AAU/UHU. If you do it, the OHA and Hockey Canada may wake up and discover they have a problem. They already have almost 40 Junior teams operating in Ontario that do not fall under the OHA/Hockey Canada. They are obviously doing something wrong! It's all about money and the OHA/Hockey Canada is losing a ton right now. The GOJHL doesn't play any further than the Sutherland Cup, so why would they want to remain with the OHA/Hockey Canada? If they go Jr. A (Tier Two) they may eventually have to go to the RBC Cup and no owner in the GOJHL wants that huge expense. It's time for the GOJHL owners to wake up and smell the coffee!
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

arenaguy99

Post by arenaguy99 »

As long as the OJHL has the OHA in their back pocket allowing them to do whatever they want the GOJHL will never be granted "A" status in the OHA, because we all know what the OJHL will do if something doesn't go their way they automatically send their pit bull lawyer in and threaten with legal action, it happened with the OHA's Tomorrow Game initiative which ended up costing all the teams in the OHA including junior C teams an increase to cover the cost of legal fees incurred by the OHA to battle the OJHL, not to mention the recent threat the OJHL made to the OHA regarding the Junior C's move to the PJHL name stating the OJHL owned the rights to the name.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

http://thejuniorhockeynews.com/more-on- ... n-sudeyko/

If the GOJHL appears to be doing all this for the show. It seems to be working two articles in a week on the same subject.
From the Junior Hockey News the GOJHL is lucky to see two articles all year from the JHN.
I don't know why the GOJHL keeps going to the OHA or the CJHL or WHO EVER.
Soon or later they will have to come to the GOJHL, because the OHJA is prizing them self's out of business.
There's no fan support so there is no money in that area. They tried last year to steal some teams from the GOJHL.
I think the GOJHL is in a better place than the OHJA, because if they make the GOJHL JR-A it won't be long till the OHJA will be in trouble.
The only thing saving the OHJA is that they are a JR-A league. If they were still JR-B like they used to be they would have folded by now.
richard

Post by richard »

not sure why Jr A is so important. I like the league as is personally. Players going from B to A is that any different then players from minor, Jr C leagues to Jr B
Jr B leagues getting better crowds then this Jr A league are they not. Be a shame to go outlaw.
richard

Post by richard »

Is it that important to go Jr A. Crowds are better in B. Players come from Minor and Jr C is that any different then B to A.
I like B league the way it is