What Should the GOJHL Do?

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

What Should the GOJHL Do?

Post by RocketGirl »

So, as I usually do, I've read what the fans think about certain things and have written an article on what I think the league should or could do to improve its image.

http://overtimesportsnation.com/what-sh ... -gojhl-do/
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Dr. Pepper

Re: What Should the GOJHL Do?

Post by Dr. Pepper »

A good read. Personally I think the league ( and I know they have tried ) should drop the " B " moniker, yes it is only a letter but all through life people are told A's are better than B's which are better than C's, etc, etc, it starts in school and is even on your damn drivers licence, an "A" licence is better than a "D" licence which is better than a "G" licence, again yes it is only a letter but people and the scout's will always perceive that the higher the letter the better the product and that is why so many advisors will recommend that players move to an "A" league. The G.O.J.H.L should change its name to the S.O.J.A.H.L. ( Southwestern Ontario Junior A Hockey League)
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:So, as I usually do, I've read what the fans think about certain things and have written an article on what I think the league should or could do to improve its image.

Very well written, especially the part about pointstreak & finding information.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

It's not so much Pointstreak, I can navigate that. It's the individual team websites. It's hosted by Pointstreak and they all drive me insane. And yet the OHA is also a Pointstreak site and I love it.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

I agree very well written and detailed. I do firmly believe that that OJHL member clubs have discovered that the easier information on their league is to access, the more people will know and the more that people know will result in more scouted games, more D1 offers and more interest from higher caliber players to join there league. I don't think our league is there yet. The team sites often tell you little and the league site even less. Some teams don't want to share any information even when it is common knowledge. Take the St Marys Lincolns for example today. When you look at who is coaching the team, it displays the name of a head coach that is now the Strathroy Rockets head coach and an assistant coach that the London Nationals announced as an addition to their staff earlier in the week. Any parent that has gone through the battle of trying to get information on available 16 year old cards knows that many teams are reluctant to reveal if they have room and often embellish the amount of cards that they possess. In a nutshell the teams are either to lazy to distribute information, making it look like nothing interesting is happening or they are keeping their cards close to their chests to create some sort of advantage that they think they have. In the end, harder to access info, leads to less NCAA scouts leads to less offers. This leads to players reaching out to Jr A and making the decision to move on easier.

As for the Showcase, good ideas but poor timing. Last year is it occurred at the same time as the Western Fair causing access problems. Also with it being so early some teams made final choices on the weekend, most teams were not up to speed yet. Teams with a large infusion of young players looked unorganized against veteran squads and many rookies had not fit into a role yet. This forced anyone scouting to just see the players from last year, so nothing new.

The Prospects Skate was another blown opportunity. There were a few new players for the scouts to watch that they had not seen before but not as many as their should have been.

In the end the league needs a marketing committee to figure out how to get the on ice product noticed better. Web is part but team philosophies need to be adjusted and the league needs transparency. The talent is there, it is up to the GOJHL to exploit it.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
gojhlrules

Post by gojhlrules »

I thought the fees went up for the purpose of hiring the commissioner, who in turn was going to get this league promoted. I guess that didn't work. Just another guy collecting money and doing nothing.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

gojhlrules wrote: the commissioner,

Just another guy collecting money and doing nothing.
Pretty much... :smt031 :smt117 :smt100
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

RocketGirl wrote:So, as I usually do, I've read what the fans think about certain things and have written an article on what I think the league should or could do to improve its image.

Good read I agree with you for once lol. Things do need to change but how is it going to happen? Is it a bad thing though that the GOJHL is a feeder league for the OHL?
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

Maybe becoming a development league for the OHL might be.a good niche for the league. The US based teams have no junior leagues available for development.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

gojhlrules wrote:I thought the fees went up for the purpose of hiring the commissioner, who in turn was going to get this league promoted. I guess that didn't work. Just another guy collecting money and doing nothing.
First season - I know in talking to some people that he's been down promoting the league to the NCAA a lot. A lot of trips for him. But he's an older gentleman from my understanding and I'm sure the new age needs go over his head.
arcprohd

Post by arcprohd »

Chuck Williams (GOJHL Commissioner) has a good understand of what the league needs to do to get noticed more on the North American & world stage. It is just now going into his second year so I'm sure they have lots of new promotional ideas in the pipe.