Off season news/ Player movement

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

Re: Off season news

Post by RocketGirl »

I don't know what Bondy is going to do, but I highly doubt he will go back on the bench. I think after 1 season, he's realized how difficult a job it is to be GM let alone head coach and GM.

I think it was Oggie that mentioned Horvat and Merlin. The problem I see with Horvat is that the entire time he was with St Thomas, they did not finish any higher than 5th. That's not what we need to turn things around. As much as I would love for Merlin to come, and I could actually talk to the man, he's not who we need either.

I'd like a younger coach, to go with Jason Furlong. Furzy is not ready for head coach, but needs someone along his age to work with, in my opinion.

But Bondy will figure it out, I have faith in him. He will find and hire the best fit for our team.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

Riggin accomplished a lot in his short time with the tools he was given to work with. Tough times ahead now for the cash strapped Rockets. Last year they were looking for a coach after a long search they chose Riggin and it turned out great for them. The thing is that they didn't need to convince Riggin to leave another team to come in, he was already on the team. Unless Furlong is willing to take on the head coach role or god forbid Bondy places himself behind the bench again the Rockets will need to source a coach externally. Most good coaches are not looking for a job at this time of year. Not all older coaches are bad, Horvat has had success motivating players in the past, although having his nephew Bo playing on the team for a playoff run didn't hurt either. Malinowski has been about as successful as a St Narys coach could possibly dream of being..Either would be a good solution on a short term basis but as has been pointed out, they won't be working for free. Over the long term they do need to find a good younger coach.

While the current GM publically congratulates Riggin for taking the opportunity to return to the Western Mustangs, one would think that acquiring a suitable replacement should be his top priority. That said, don't be surprised if his search doesn't go much further than the bathroom mirror in his house.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

The Sedlak signing occuring this early is a positive sign that there is some desire to make a connection with the community. Not sure if that was RG's influence or a result of last seasons low attendance numbers. Many fans at the WMMC have voiced their thoughts on the lack of local players for a few years now. It shows a desire to work with local talent and connect with the community again. In recent years local kids were more of an after thought. Signing a local like Turner Balasin this early last season would have increased community support instead of focussing on London cuts.

Good idea whether it was RG's or Bondzo's either way better community relations will bring in more fans, more fans should result in more revenue, more revenue should result in more resources, more resources will make it easier to attract better talent.

A step in the right direction but still along way to go. In the mean time finding a new coach head needs to be the current GM's top priority.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Is Dan Rose coaching anywhere now? If not, he would be another good candidate for Strathroy if they are wanting to go with GOJHL experience.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

Marcie wrote:Is Dan Rose coaching anywhere now? If not, he would be another good candidate for Strathroy if they are wanting to go with GOJHL experience.
Rosie would be a good fit no doubt about that. How about Dan Gibson also? Is he still around?
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

Oglethorp wrote:Riggin accomplished a lot in his short time with the tools he was given to work with. Tough times ahead now for the cash strapped Rockets. Last year they were looking for a coach after a long search they chose Riggin and it turned out great for them. The thing is that they didn't need to convince Riggin to leave another team to come in, he was already on the team. Unless Furlong is willing to take on the head coach role or god forbid Bondy places himself behind the bench again the Rockets will need to source a coach externally. Most good coaches are not looking for a job at this time of year. Not all older coaches are bad, Horvat has had success motivating players in the past, although having his nephew Bo playing on the team for a playoff run didn't hurt either. Malinowski has been about as successful as a St Narys coach could possibly dream of being..Either would be a good solution on a short term basis but as has been pointed out, they won't be working for free. Over the long term they do need to find a good younger coach.

While the current GM publically congratulates Riggin for taking the opportunity to return to the Western Mustangs, one would think that acquiring a suitable replacement should be his top priority. That said, don't be surprised if his search doesn't go much further than the bathroom mirror in his house.
There's no doubt Riggin did good with what he had to work with he's a good young coach who was good with the players to bad the GM couldn't give him a better product on the ice. Maybe the rockets should look into Kelly Thompson I don't know how everything went down in London why he's not there a lot of rumours tho. I know the nats bought a team for a while when he was there but in his last year they went young in a re build and look what he did with them took them to a second round. Rob Drummond is another name he runs hockey schools in London and coaches a AAA team does he not? Or a long shot here I know never in a million years this would happen how about steadman Knights ast coach wouldn't leave that money and after the mem cup win but maybe wants to be a head coach got to start somewhere do you not? I don't know just some names to throw around yes I understand there all ex knight players but there still in the area and still involved in the game. I just think maybe they need to go down that path a younger coach who's played the game before that can relate to the players.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

RocketGirl wrote:I don't know what Bondy is going to do, but I highly doubt he will go back on the bench. I think after 1 season, he's realized how difficult a job it is to be GM let alone head coach and GM.

I think it was Oggie that mentioned Horvat and Merlin. The problem I see with Horvat is that the entire time he was with St Thomas, they did not finish any higher than 5th. That's not what we need to turn things around. As much as I would love for Merlin to come, and I could actually talk to the man, he's not who we need either.

I'd like a younger coach, to go with Jason Furlong. Furzy is not ready for head coach, but needs someone along his age to work with, in my opinion.

But Bondy will figure it out, I have faith in him. He will find and hire the best fit for our team.
I agree get somebody in there with him around the same age with some experience behind him. Merlin or Horvat are not the answer here believe me. It's hard to find somebody though who's going to dedicate that much time and not get paid that much to do it. Maybe Kyle O'Niel he has been with the vipers now for a while maybe he wants a shot at being a head coach? I'm just throwing names around give these younger guys the shot they deserve. If the current GM goes on the bench going to be a long year again at the launching pad.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Former Rocket defenseman Wade Clubb (who played in the OHL with Erie) has been an assistant with Kitchener and then Waterloo for the last few years. It is a long drive and he has a family to take into consideration too. I believe former Rockets Steve Benedetti and Jason Davies coached at the AAA level in London.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Like I said, don't know what Bondy is going to do, but I have complete faith in him to hire the best coach for our team.

It's only June, he's got time to figure it out.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

RocketGirl wrote:Like I said, don't know what Bondy is going to do, but I have complete faith in him to hire the best coach for our team.

Mr president should get rid of the GM nothing is going to change with him there
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

BillyTheKid wrote:
RocketGirl wrote:Like I said, don't know what Bondy is going to do, but I have complete faith in him to hire the best coach for our team.

Benedetti maybe a good one, he has spent time on the Nats bench as well as coaching some of the London cuts that are currently on the Rockets roster. No one knows what Bondy is going to do including him, but if he stalls too long there will only be one choice left and that won't be good. Coaches are like players, the best ones get signed earlier than later, so the clock is ticking. Mr President should have put more thought in before he publically endorsed the current GM and past coach returning.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

Oglethorp wrote:
BillyTheKid wrote:

Benedetti maybe a good one, he has spent time on the Nats bench as well as coaching some of the London cuts that are currently on the Rockets roster. No one knows what Bondy is going to do including him, but if he stalls too long there will only be one choice left and that won't be good. Coaches are like players, the best ones get signed earlier than later, so the clock is ticking. Mr President should have put more thought in before he publically endorsed the current GM and past coach returning.
Very true the best coaches get signed early. Going to be interesting to see what happens here that's for sure. RG I know it's only June but camps and that are going on need to find somebody fast. He's going to hit the panic button bring somebody in that's been there before or it's going to be him self and that's not good for anybody
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

This morning on myFM Rocket GM Mike Bondy stated that he loved the work that Riggin and his young staff did with the Rockets last year. He would like to continue in that vein by bringing on another young coach. He feels they can relate to the players better. He mentioned that they have had some interest already from some applicants. So it looks like all the greybeards can tear up their resumes. When asked about coaching himself, he said that it would likely be too much work.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

I am sure he has had a few applications since the vacancy wasn't much of a secret outside of the Strathroy town limits. Hopefully for the good of the team he gets his ass in gear and hires a young coach sometime soon or he maybe back to looking at some grey beards to fill the void. He is right about him coaching the team being a lot of work. The GM job will be much busier if he assigns himself to the bench.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

There are only so many coaching vacancies - so when they pop up, people flock to them regardless. It's an opportunity for someone who's been coaching AAA, Jr. C or been a B Asst. Coach to move up the ladder towards their goal of making this a living.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

ILuvHackey wrote:There are only so many coaching vacancies - so when they pop up, people flock to them regardless. It's an opportunity for someone who's been coaching AAA, Jr. C or been a B Asst. Coach to move up the ladder towards their goal of making this a living.
The best candidates don't last long on the market so it is time to get cracking on this. Former Strathroy AP Dawson Cook has signed with the London Nationals. Cook racked up 66 pts in 32 Jr C games in a season split between Aylmer and Strathroy's affiliate club the Lucan Irish. He joins GLJRC Rookie of Year winner and former St Thomas AP Kyle Dawson from the Dresden Kings. Lucan was coached by Randy Campbell, father of 16 year old sniper Noah Campbell who finished 3rd in team scoring.

It looks like many of the teams in the West have raised the bar when it comes to recruiting players. Unfortunately for teams like St Thomas, running a late mini camp may leave them with little talent to select from. In hindsight they should have locked up both Dawson and Isaac McLean after their season ended. The affliation agreement with the London Knights maybe there best tool going into this season.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Oglethorp wrote:
ILuvHackey wrote:Former Strathroy AP Dawson Cook has signed with the London Nationals. Cook racked up 66 pts in 32 Jr C games in a season split between Aylmer and Strathroy's affiliate club the Lucan Irish. He joins GLJRC Rookie of Year winner and former St Thomas AP Kyle Dawson from the Dresden Kings. Lucan was coached by Randy Campbell, father of 16 year old sniper Noah Campbell who finished 3rd in team scoring.
Has London snagged Campbell yet too? I just looked at Lucan's page and Randy isn't listed as coach anymore. Potential Strathroy coach and son duo?
Dr. Pepper

Post by Dr. Pepper »

ILuvHackey wrote:
Oglethorp wrote:
ILuvHackey wrote:Former Strathroy AP Dawson Cook has signed with the London Nationals. Cook racked up 66 pts in 32 Jr C games in a season split between Aylmer and Strathroy's affiliate club the Lucan Irish. He joins GLJRC Rookie of Year winner and former St Thomas AP Kyle Dawson from the Dresden Kings. Lucan was coached by Randy Campbell, father of 16 year old sniper Noah Campbell who finished 3rd in team scoring.
Has London snagged Campbell yet too? I just looked at Lucan's page and Randy isn't listed as coach anymore. Potential Strathroy coach and son duo?
ILuvHackey wrote:There are only so many coaching vacancies - so when they pop up, people flock to them regardless. It's an opportunity for someone who's been coaching AAA, Jr. C or been a B Asst. Coach to move up the ladder towards their goal of making this a living.

That would not be a step up for Campbell nor would he be fresh young blood as a coach for the GOJHL. He has already been a head coach of the Petrolia Jets the predecessor of the Lambton Shores Predators, one of the teams that people continuously bash on here for not bringing in fresh young blood coach's.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Georgetown 06/09/16 ADD McJannet, Matt (F) added to team
Georgetown 06/09/16 ADD Krieger, Ross (F) added to team

Couple more guys have signed in the OJHL. Does anyone think Brookshaw will sign with Trenton, or go back to St Thomas?
Queen of the GOJHL

Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

Brookshaw has a long successful history with Darren Kelly, so this could go either way. If he wants to move to Jr A at some point he needs to go now since he is 19. St Thomas could be in rebuild this year. Ethan Nother is also looking at another run in the OJHL, Carson Moniz going to the USHL and Carter McCormick is enrolled at McMaster and not returning. St Thomas may have dropped the ball by not locking up Kyle Dawson at season's end.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

A lot of players bolting for the OJHL this season. Many believe they play at the same level as the GOJHL, so that makes you ask yourself, why does everyone want to bolt from this league??
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Port hockey1 wrote:A lot of players bolting for the OJHL this season. Many believe they play at the same level as the GOJHL, so that makes you ask yourself, why does everyone want to bolt from this league??
More exposure to scouts and the A label comes with a perception of moving up.

Scouts love how central the bulk of the OJ is - mostly Toronto. Allows for less travel.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I sometimes wonder, is it the player or is it pushy parents that make them move to the OJHL.

I know that we had a player go to the OJ for 1 season and then came back the next. When I asked him why, he said that he'd heard so much about the OJ that he wanted to check it out and see for himself what it was like. Once he got there, he realized it wasn't that great, but decided to stick out the season. The next year, he came back and brought some friends with him.
Queen of the GOJHL

Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

I am sure the parents would need to be involved in any move to the OJ with what it costs the players to play there. Very few players have an extra 8-10K kicking around for a season of hockey. Things have changed in both leagues since the player RG mentioned went to the OJ. When he left the GOJHL was free when he returned it was $339, last year it was $1089. Now that both leagues are pay to play, the OJ costs remain constant the GOJHL keep going up inspite of higher attendance than the OJ. OJ teams supply all team equipment, sticks, off ice training, transportation and billeting for a lot more money. The GOJHL teams offer a limited variety, some ask the players to buy their own equipment, only supply 2 (or less) sticks over the entire season, only provide a gym membership to a sponsor gym, but no trainer, want the player to pay his own billets, don't have transportation with a highway coach to all games. When you do the math the difference isn't as great. I think some are thinking we can pay extra $$ to get the complete package (OJ) or pay a la carte (GOJHL). I would venture to say most GOJHL kids spent around $1500 extra just for sticks. Compare that to the BCHL where you get the OJ type package for $0 you can guess where the talent will go.

Scouts live and work in Toronto and Michigan with very few in between. In the west you will see some OHL and NCAA scouts in LaSalle and Leamington , sometimes in Sarnia but they are sparse in most other places. You will never convince a scout that an A league isn't more talent rich than B. In reality all A leagues are not equal either Leagues like the BCHL, USHL, NAHL are highly scouted because the best players play there. They go there because they get the same incentives as the OJ but the cost is $0 as it once was here. Many scouts realize the difference between a league that is dictated by talent (BCHL) and one that is dictated by finances (OJ). As the GOJHL asks for more, you will see more frequent player exits will be with players looking to advance in hockey.

In the case that RG metioned this is typical of a player who says to himself, I am not going to the OHL or NHL and am not necessarily interested in playing NCAA, so why am I living away from home paying premium $$, when I can play close to home for a fraction of the costs.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

RocketGirl wrote:I sometimes wonder, is it the player or is it pushy parents that make them move to the OJHL.

I know that we had a player go to the OJ for 1 season and then came back the next. When I asked him why, he said that he'd heard so much about the OJ that he wanted to check it out and see for himself what it was like. Once he got there, he realized it wasn't that great, but decided to stick out the season. The next year, he came back and brought some friends with him.
Here you go with we again lol.... It's the players that want to go believe me. They are told by the coaches and scouts that it's a better league. Is it a better league? I don't know that's up for debate. It's a league with a lot more teams that's for sure so does that mean it's water downed ? The only reason I can see these kids bolting for the OJ is because more kids there are getting D1 scholarships due your homework if you don't believe me they are. Lots of kids out of to GOJHL get D3 scholarships not D1. So maybe that's why these kids are going there. I've seen both leagues and played in both leagues there's not to much of a difference to be honest in my opinion. What league is better? Hard to say. But for expusore for scouts I would have to say the OJ is better for that. Anyways that's just my opinion. It's a shame though to see these kids leaving the GOJHL to go there. Maybe the OHA should make the GOJHL Jr a and we wouldn't see these kids leave. Make it there own division though like the league up Ottawa way? I don't know but something has to change here. Caledonia goalie Sinclair is leaving now to for the BCHL Moniz from the stars going there to. Things need to change for this league to keep there good players.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I'm not sure what your issue with me saying we is. I have every right to say we, like everyone else in the organization. Hell, I've been there since before any of the players were born, or even thought of at this point.
Queen of the GOJHL

Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

The BCHL is the best Canadian Tier 2 league no question about it. It is a more skill based league as well. They enforce the head contact rule much more consistently than here is the one difference than many players moving to BC learn early. The CCHL is the league in the Ottawa area and they are not part of the OHA. They are pay to play as well but somewhere in between the OJ and GOJHL. Recent GOJHL players to go to the CCHL include Alex Friesen and Wes Baker. The top teams are more talent deep than the top OJ teams but their lower end really struggle. Not a lot of parity in their league but it is well scouted at the OHL, QMJHL NHL and NCAA levels.

As for RG saying we when she mentions the Rockets it is just a reminder to me that you need to take what is being said with a grain of salt and that she is not as impartial as some of us when it comes to Strathroy.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

Oglethorp wrote:The BCHL is the best Canadian Tier 2 league no question about it. It is a more skill based league as well. They enforce the head contact rule much more consistently than here is the one difference than many players moving to BC learn early. The CCHL is the league in the Ottawa area and they are not part of the OHA. They are pay to play as well but somewhere in between the OJ and GOJHL. Recent GOJHL players to go to the CCHL include Alex Friesen and Wes Baker. The top teams are more talent deep than the top OJ teams but their lower end really struggle. Not a lot of parity in their league but it is well scouted at the OHL, QMJHL NHL and NCAA levels.

As for RG saying we when she mentions the Rockets it is just a reminder to me that you need to take what is being said with a grain of salt and that she is not as impartial as some of us when it comes to Strathroy.
100% agree with you about the leagues and the BCHL being the best Tier 2 league in the country the CCHL isn't to far behind it and if the GOJHL goes Jr a who knows maybe it won't be to far behind it also. RG I'm not even going to get started how embarrassing it is alright. Your right I'm wrong will keep it at that. Your a great super fan for your team probably the best in the league your loyal to your boys that's for sure. But when it comes to opinions about hockey and the league and the WE thing I'll stop because your right and I'm wrong.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

ILuvHackey wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:A lot of players bolting for the OJHL this season. Many believe they play at the same level as the GOJHL, so that makes you ask yourself, why does everyone want to bolt from this league??
More exposure to scouts and the A label comes with a perception of moving up.

Scouts love how central the bulk of the OJ is - mostly Toronto. Allows for less travel.
I guess that makes sense.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:I sometimes wonder, is it the player or is it pushy parents that make them move to the OJHL.

That's a shame. I remember when anyone who wasn't going to make it in the CHL would stick with their Jr.B team for 3-5 years. I wish things were able to get back to those days, although some teams do a great job of retaining their players.