DETGHOJHLFAN

Re: Off season news/ Player movement

Post by DETGHOJHLFAN »

from OJHLs Transactions page
St. Michaels 06/23/16 ADD Flack, Thomas (F) added to team
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

Oglethorp wrote:Both Riggin and Roeszler proved to be good young and upcoming coaches. It is a loss for the league to see them both leave so soon. What we are seeing in Chatham is the difference coaching selection can make. Chatham has lost a minimum of 4 impact players to date, anyone not thinking that coaching factored into the decisions would be sadly mistaken. St Marys and Strathroy should be taking note of this as it could happen elsewhere.
They have announced players from last year are returning i guess that's a step in the right direction and signed one local boy has anybody seen him play? Don't mean to be bashing them if it seems like I always am but makes me wonder what direction there going here? The last 3 years have kind of been a disaster has it not? Can't hold on to these young players it seems but it's all about development so at least there moving some kids along. The vets they did have in the past bolted for Exeter to play yeh sure for a job right? Lol. They need to try and sign some older guys 18 and 19 to play with these young guys I know it sounds easier then what it is though. My opinion it starts at the top get a GM in there that knows what's going on get hockey people involved with the program. Used to be one hell of a organization now it's turning into st Mary's and it's a shame really. Like I said don't want to sound like I'm bashing them because I'm not strath is a good old hockey blue colloar town that fans used to flock to the rink on Saturday nights me for one would love to see it go back to that. Lots of talk with the new president but no action how much longer do the fans have to wait? Chatham turning into a joke this off season to I love seeing that. Who's going to be the top teams this year in everybody's opinion ? Not a lot of talk out of La Salle sarnia has signed some young kids I've seen. That's my rant for the day I guess can't wait to read what people think
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

Matt Laberge? Jesus nobody must of wanted to come coach there. He just got done playing and now he's back coaching? Yeah the players are really going to listen to him. I know everybody is saying lets get young coaches in this league but not that young with zero experience. Let him go coach AAA for a couple years then bring him on board. Oh Mr President you amaze us more and more everyday. Can't wait to see what RG has to say about this one. Something along the lines of. I love the signing of Matt he was a great player for us and it's about time we give these young guys a chance. He was "ARE" captain so the guys will respect him lol.... Better find something else to write RG.... Long year ahead
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

The Strathroy Rockets are pleased to announce our coaching staff for the 2016/2017 season.

Head Coach - Jason Glover: former Strathroy Blade, former semi pro hockey player.

Assistant Coach - Jason Furlong: returning for his second season behind the bench and former Strathroy Rocket.

Video Coach - Matt Laberge: 3yr veteran in the GOJHL and former Rockets captain and Strathroy resident.

We would like to welcome all three to the Strathroy Rockets and we look forward to another exciting season of Rockets hockey.

Stay tuned for more signings over the next few weeks!
boaaa17

Post by boaaa17 »

BillyTheKid wrote:Matt Laberge? Jesus nobody must of wanted to come coach there. He just got done playing and now he's back coaching? Yeah the players are really going to listen to him. I know everybody is saying lets get young coaches in this league but not that young with zero experience. Let him go coach AAA for a couple years then bring him on board. Oh Mr President you amaze us more and more everyday. Can't wait to see what RG has to say about this one. Something along the lines of. I love the signing of Matt he was a great player for us and it's about time we give these young guys a chance. He was "ARE" captain so the guys will respect him lol.... Better find something else to write RG.... Long year ahead
Not to stir anything up, but with all your BS with RG about this we,my...etc stuff, you should really get it right yourself Billy. I think you were supposed to say "He was OUR captain" not ARE captain. The only one getting LOL'd right now is you.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I was going to post the same thing. If you're going to pretend to be me, be sure to use the proper grammar.

This is Matt's chance to prove himself. I hope he doesn't get caught up in the fact that he played with them last year and thinks that he's still a player, because he's a matter of months removed from them.

As for Glover, I don't know him, but I remember his brother playing for Aylmer though. But as long as I can work with him to get the things done that are needed, I don't care who the coach is.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Former players jumping into immediate Asst Coach or Video Coach roles isn't uncommon in Junior A/B/C....
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

boaaa17 wrote:
BillyTheKid wrote:Matt Laberge? Jesus nobody must of wanted to come coach there. He just got done playing and now he's back coaching? Yeah the players are really going to listen to him. I know everybody is saying lets get young coaches in this league but not that young with zero experience. Let him go coach AAA for a couple years then bring him on board. Oh Mr President you amaze us more and more everyday. Can't wait to see what RG has to say about this one. Something along the lines of. I love the signing of Matt he was a great player for us and it's about time we give these young guys a chance. He was "ARE" captain so the guys will respect him lol.... Better find something else to write RG.... Long year ahead
Not to stir anything up, but with all your BS with RG about this we,my...etc stuff, you should really get it right yourself Billy. I think you were supposed to say "He was OUR captain" not ARE captain. The only one getting LOL'd right now is you.
haha your serious right now. If you think I'm involved with the team in anyway then give your head a shake because I'm not. I will make sure next time though I do a spell check so I get your approval though ok. Sorry will never happen again
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

RocketGirl wrote:I was going to post the same thing. If you're going to pretend to be me, be sure to use the proper grammar.

This is Matt's chance to prove himself. I hope he doesn't get caught up in the fact that he played with them last year and thinks that he's still a player, because he's a matter of months removed from them.

As for Glover, I don't know him, but I remember his brother playing for Aylmer though. But as long as I can work with him to get the things done that are needed, I don't care who the coach is.
as long as you can work with him? What does that mean? I guess your going to have to call mike Bondy and see if you can work with him to? I apologize to you to I will make sure I do a spell check next time to make sure my grammar is correct. Not all of us can write for a comic book called overtime. So I hope you and the new coach can work together really well otherwise this hiring will never work hahaha. As for Laberge your correct on that though. I really hope this hiring works for you though and you aprove
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Can't write a profile for the website/program if the coach won't talk to me.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

I know there are some rumblings going on over this one.

First off the Furlong announcement is just regurgitated information from the past releases.

Matt Laberge is of more interest. This is a rare positive move in light of the way locals have been treated by the Rockets in the past. He is a heart and sole Rocket player that refrained from playing in Exeter with his friends last season, thereby forfeiting his ability to play Jr as a 21 year old. Keeping a player like Matt around can only help the Rockets image in the community. As for the Video Coach job, I highly doubt the last one they ever played any sport let alone hockey and was as smart as a bag of hammers so I sure Matt will easily be an improvement.

Last and certainly not least the much awaited (although highly suspected) hiring of the St Marys coach. What could the current GM have possibly said to the directors to pull the wool this far over their eyes? Some due diligence would have prevented this catastrophe. Those familiar with the situation in Chatham when a coach with a checkered past comes in would have thought long and hard before agreeing to this. Other than being a parent coach that will overplay his kid and knows how to be a yes man what value does he bring. He had a goalie that could have played on most OHL teams last year and barely squeaked in. With the likes of Tyler Roeszler (a perfect match for what the GM claimed he was looking for) and Ron Horvat (who has a great rapport with the Elgin Middlesex Chiefs as well as winning experience) this is the end result. The fact that St Marys doesn't seem to view his departure as newsworthy even should in itself make the directors suspicious.

Expect the next announcement to be the signing of the coaches son. One would think that an intelligent GM might have thought doing it the other way to make it look legit. Wonder if the GM boy will get into many games as an AP this year? Time will tell.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

Oglethorp wrote:I know there are some rumblings going on over this one.

First off the Furlong announcement is just regurgitated information from the past releases.

Matt Laberge is of more interest. This is a rare positive move in light of the way locals have been treated by the Rockets in the past. He is a heart and sole Rocket player that refrained from playing in Exeter with his friends last season, thereby forfeiting his ability to play Jr as a 21 year old. Keeping a player like Matt around can only help the Rockets image in the community. As for the Video Coach job, I highly doubt the last one they ever played any sport let alone hockey and was as smart as a bag of hammers so I sure Matt will easily be an improvement.

Last and certainly not least the much awaited (although highly suspected) hiring of the St Marys coach. What could the current GM have possibly said to the directors to pull the wool this far over their eyes? Some due diligence would have prevented this catastrophe. Those familiar with the situation in Chatham when a coach with a checkered past comes in would have thought long and hard before agreeing to this. Other than being a parent coach that will overplay his kid and knows how to be a yes man what value does he bring. He had a goalie that could have played on most OHL teams last year and barely squeaked in. With the likes of Tyler Roeszler (a perfect match for what the GM claimed he was looking for) and Ron Horvat (who has a great rapport with the Elgin Middlesex Chiefs as well as winning experience) this is the end result. The fact that St Marys doesn't seem to view his departure as newsworthy even should in itself make the directors suspicious.

Expect the next announcement to be the signing of the coaches son. One would think that an intelligent GM might have thought doing it the other way to make it look legit. Wonder if the GM boy will get into many games as an AP this year? Time will tell.
Good read
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Paul Jennings ‏@pjennings19 Jun 23

As Director of Hockey Operations, Wish to welcome Dustin Wenger to our staff. A solid hockey man added to our hockey depth in organization.

(It appears as if the Lincolns' GM, Dustin Wenger is now in Stratford.)
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

NHL sixth round was certainly a charm.
#172 - Antony Salinitri (Leamington, Sarnia OHL) Philadelphia
# 174 Tyler Wall (Leamington) NY Rangers
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Marcie wrote:NHL sixth round was certainly a charm.
#172 - Antony Salinitri (Leamington, Sarnia OHL) Philadelphia
# 174 Tyler Wall (Leamington) NY Rangers
Well done Leamington!
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
DETGHOJHLFAN

Post by DETGHOJHLFAN »

St. Michaels 06/27/16 ADD Lazzarino, Cosimo (G) added to team
boaaa17

Post by boaaa17 »

Two more vets returning
Rockets continue to strengthen their roster!
The Strathroy Rockets are very pleased to announce the signings of two returning forwards, Wes Kelly and Nick Griffin. Looking forward to having both back for another exciting season of Rockets hockey
DETGHOJHLFAN

Post by DETGHOJHLFAN »

any word on Ethan Skinner have heard he may Sign with Trenton have also heard Austin Bottrell may move up as well ?
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

boaaa17 wrote:Two more vets returning
Rockets continue to strengthen their roster!
The Strathroy Rockets are very pleased to announce the signings of two returning forwards, Wes Kelly and Nick Griffin. Looking forward to having both back for another exciting season of Rockets hockey
I'm finding it interesting that the Rockets haven't re-signed the goalie Gubbles yet..usually that's the first position you want to firm up. More to come on that I'm sure.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

Would you re sign him ?
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

BillyTheKid wrote:Would you re sign him ?
He looked decent against the Nats in rnd 1...I'm not sure if there is anything better that is going to go to the Rockets, they'll be in a rebuild situation this season. New coach, kid is on the team...if i'm a player i'm not getting into that mess. Rumblings out of Strathroy already about the coaches kid, hearing he was a borderline aaa player, worse than the coaches kid in Lambton, and that kid is a plug.
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

Goaltending was the prime reason the rockets got into so many overtime games last year. Gubbles sure saw enough rubber last season, but both rocket incumbents are 20 year olds that could opt to jump to Jr C next season for an extra year. It happened last year with Oulette, the last thing any team needs is for both goalies to leave in November. Dads coaching their sons in Jr has not been very successful in the past, even if the player is talented enough to play. Likely a tough road ahead in Lambton and Strathroy this year.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

According to the OHA on Twitter, Brantford has signed former LaSalle Viper goalie Cameron Zanussi for this upcoming season.
Queen of the GOJHL

BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

cpt obvious wrote:
BillyTheKid wrote:Would you re sign him ?
He looked decent against the Nats in rnd 1...I'm not sure if there is anything better that is going to go to the Rockets, they'll be in a rebuild situation this season. New coach, kid is on the team...if i'm a player i'm not getting into that mess. Rumblings out of Strathroy already about the coaches kid, hearing he was a borderline aaa player, worse than the coaches kid in Lambton, and that kid is a plug.
I've heard nothing but the same the coaches son isn't very good. Guess we will find out in the first couple ex games. From what I've heard the rockets are looking for 2 new goalies going to be pretty hard to get that's for sure. Yes it will be a long year in Strath when is this so called re build going to end ? RG you hear about any more signings ? Just curious?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I remind you of this post from a few weeks ago.
RocketGirl » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:36 pm

I can't and won't release team information until the team is ready to announce decisions publicly.
Queen of the GOJHL

Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:I remind you of this post from a few weeks ago.

I can't and won't release team information until the team is ready to announce decisions publicly.
But you weren't being asked for details. Just a simple, "yes, expect news soon", or "not that I'm aware of", would've been an alright answer, no?

I get not releasing anything personal, but to not even be willing to say if there's news on the horizon, that's a little odd. :)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Yes, I could have simply said, yes I've heard some things, or no I'm not aware of anything, but you guys have a knack for turning everything I say around and I firmly believe you're all just trying to get me in trouble with the Powers That Be.

Billy, you have made some attempts at trying to be nice and dig yourself out of the hole you've dug, but I'm just not buying it. The rate you're pulling these 180's, you better make sure you're not getting whiplash.

Besides, you guys are all the experts, you tell me who we have or haven't signed.
Queen of the GOJHL

BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

RocketGirl wrote:Yes, I could have simply said, yes I've heard some things, or no I'm not aware of anything, but you guys have a knack for turning everything I say around and I firmly believe you're all just trying to get me in trouble with the Powers That Be.

Billy, you have made some attempts at trying to be nice and dig yourself out of the hole you've dug, but I'm just not buying it. The rate you're pulling these 180's, you better make sure you're not getting whiplash.

Besides, you guys are all the experts, you tell me who we have or haven't signed.
Laying in bed right now with my neck brace on from the whiplash. Hey give credit where credit is due that's all. I'll give your more cow bell for that one. Your the expert sorry we are wrong sincerely everybody on this fourm. Keep replying back the way you do also you don't know anything you write back like that to try and make your self seem more important then what you are.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

Port hockey1 wrote:
RocketGirl wrote:I remind you of this post from a few weeks ago.

But you weren't being asked for details. Just a simple, "yes, expect news soon", or "not that I'm aware of", would've been an alright answer, no?

I get not releasing anything personal, but to not even be willing to say if there's news on the horizon, that's a little odd. :)
everything is personal to her because she thinks she's the hockey news of the league and all the GM"s need to contact her so she can go public with it first. She gets up set because other ppl find out more about her boys before she does that's all. Anyways gotta go take care of my neck until next time port. It's a hot one today have some buds
Blades

Post by Blades »

Hey guys, how about laying off RG about knowing and not sharing. I know there have been a number of times when I am aware of something going down in our club (any one of the three for which I volunteer) but I don't give a hint about knowing it. For one thing, hearing about something is not the same as having confirmation of such can lead to a dressing down by TPTB. There may be something in the works, but until all the i's are dotted and t's crossed, most clubs prefer to release their information from the top down -- you know, like press releases and such. I would also want to stay quiet because sometimes plans fall through and then you're looking as though you have egg on your face.

What I have also seen is when a poster makes a general remark about something they "have heard", there is often pressure to reveal more. When that poster won't share, they are quite often challenged as either not really knowing anything at all or a smart ass for keeping details to themselves. Trust me, I know of what I speak. When you are put in a position of trust, you don't go blabbing about things. If you do, well kiss good-bye that relationship.

I've also seen the reverse as in when someone here has "heard" about events about to occur with a certain team or player and then challenging a poster of that team for facts. Believe it or not, there are times I read about rumors in this forum before they actually do or don't happen. Just because *you* heard about something going on *here* doesn't mean I have any knowledge about it -- and if you know me, that's usually the way it is. I am a volunteer and as such, I'm quite often one of the last to know something about the club. And you know what, that's OK by me. What I don't know, I can't be bullied to share; what I do know, I won't confirm until there has been a release from those in authority. By exhibiting this type of behaviour, your team will know you are trustworthy with information a bit before it goes public.

So how about we lay off the accusations of posters not sharing what they know or accusing them of not really being in the know.

*Rant over*
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic