Off season news/ Player movement

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

Off season news/ Player movement

Post by Port hockey1 »

Wellington 06/01/16 ADD House, Brent (F) acquired in trade from St. Marys (Jr. B)

Ouch!
Last edited by Port hockey1 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Marcie

Re: Off season news

Post by Marcie »

Not good for the Lincs. He's an excellent player.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

One of his former teammates Matt Philip has also committed to the same team. Looks like there could be a lot of movement this season. I have yet to see anything official as yet but have heard from a reliable source that there are some non player changes happening with both the London Nationals and the Strathroy Rockets.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

Oglethorp wrote:One of his former teammates Matt Philip has also committed to the same team. Looks like there could be a lot of movement this season. I have yet to see anything official as yet but have heard from a reliable source that there are some non player changes happening with both the London Nationals and the Strathroy Rockets.
What changes are those? New coach on Rockets bench?
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

My understanding is that all of the changes are voluntary departures. Below are details of one of the departures from the London Nationals

"
We are so excited to announce that Mike Crespeigne has accepted the position of HEAD COACH and Assistant General Manager with the Lambeth Lancers!! Mike has a long list of achievements throughout his ongoing hockey career. A Kitchener Ranger draft pick in 1989 Mike played Junior hockey in both the O.H.A and C.H.L.

Mike’s time behind the bench is quite an attribute to his love for the game of hockey. Spanning over the past 13 years in junior hockey, Mike has occupied the positions of General Manager, Head Coach and Assistant Coach within the O.H.A. Beginning his coaching career with the Mt. Brydges Bulldogs in 2003, his teams' success included a SOJHL Finals and Yeck Conference Championship. During the 2008 season, his team set a new franchise record for wins.

The past four seasons, Mike has coached within the G.O.J.H.L as both a Head Coach and Assistant Coach. Last season as an Assistant Coach with the London Nationals, they were crowned Western Conference Champions before making their way to the Sutherland Cup Finals. "
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

It looks like some significant player movement going on in the Midwest, the Stratford Cullitons Jared Nash and Joe Leahy move up to the BCHL with the Penticton Vees and sniper Hayden Broomhead (a former Strathroy Rocket AP) going to the NAHL Amarillo Bulls.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Here's a bit of a pet peeve for me. Our league (GOJHL) doesn't hide the fact that they want Jr. A status. They get more fans than the OJ, and make ends meet despite not charging the 6-12K that teams in the OJ charge. However, this league is awful with fan engagement despite having more fans.

Something as simple as the OJ having this: http://ojhl_site.stats.pointstreak.com/transactions.html?leagueid=231 so fans can track who is signing with their teams.

While the GOJHL doesn't. Sure, some individual teams have made some announcements, but it's very dependent on the team. (Some in our lague give a sh** and some don't).

Makes me annoyed. I want to see what teams in the Midwest other than Cambridge are doing. SImilarly, I've seen a couple small thigs from Caledonia and St. Catharine's via news and twitter, but no other team in the GH. In the west, I haven't seen anything, but I could be missing it.

Am I the only one annoyed by this? I know it's small, but...
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Oglethorp wrote:I have yet to see anything official as yet but have heard from a reliable source that there are some non player changes happening with both the London Nationals and the Strathroy Rockets.
BillyTheKid wrote:What changes are those? New coach on Rockets bench?
You're making it sound like a bigger deal than it is. An Asst Coach from last season is not returning due to his new job, and a couple Board members were voted out. This is old news if you look at the announcement about the coaches and Board returning.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

Interesting it wasn't a director or assistant coach that I was told about, that's why I haven't mentioned a name yet
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

ILuvHackey wrote:Here's a bit of a pet peeve for me. Our league (GOJHL) doesn't hide the fact that they want Jr. A status. They get more fans than the OJ, and make ends meet despite not charging the 6-12K that teams in the OJ charge. However, this league is awful with fan engagement despite having more fans.

Something as simple as the OJ having this: http://ojhl_site.stats.pointstreak.com/transactions.html?leagueid=231 so fans can track who is signing with their teams.

While the GOJHL doesn't. Sure, some individual teams have made some announcements, but it's very dependent on the team. (Some in our lague give a sh** and some don't).

Makes me annoyed. I want to see what teams in the Midwest other than Cambridge are doing. SImilarly, I've seen a couple small thigs from Caledonia and St. Catharine's via news and twitter, but no other team in the GH. In the west, I haven't seen anything, but I could be missing it.

Am I the only one annoyed by this? I know it's small, but...
It would be nice to have a page like that. But that's one of the GOJHL's biggest issues, marketing & sharing information.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

RocketGirl wrote:
Oglethorp wrote:I have yet to see anything official as yet but have heard from a reliable source that there are some non player changes happening with both the London Nationals and the Strathroy Rockets.
You're making it sound like a bigger deal than it is. An Asst Coach from last season is not returning due to his new job, and a couple Board members were voted out. This is old news if you look at the announcement about the coaches and Board returning.
She thinks she knows everything about her team but she doesn't it's not an ast coach your looking for or board members your looking for either.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

RocketGirl wrote:
way ahead of you on this one there joke of the gojhl. Pretty sad I'm not even involved with your team at all and I know and other ppl have already heard the rumblings to on what's going on with your team. You call your self the Queen? Better do some home work on this one bc I just might let it slip out to prove your a joke
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

Oglethorp wrote:Interesting it wasn't a director or assistant coach that I was told about, that's why I haven't mentioned a name yet
Same here was prolly told the same as you I'm sure they will post something soon. RG must be in panic mode now
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Not panicked at all. I've heard a rumour about a certain person wanting to return, but can't see it happening, not with Mr President in charge.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

RocketGirl wrote:Not panicked at all. I've heard a rumour about a certain person wanting to return, but can't see it happening, not with Mr President in charge.
Wanting to return ? Wonder who that is haven't heard that at all. Didn't Mr President say a Sutherland cup in 2 years? Or something along those lines don't quote me on that think I remember reading that when the new president took over? Who's the person that wants to return ? Coach board member?
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

I haven't heard of anyone wanting to return either. I know there is someone the fans had hoped would return but as far as I know he is quite content where he is now.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

Oglethorp wrote:I haven't heard of anyone wanting to return either. I know there is someone the fans had hoped would return but as far as I know he is quite content where he is now.
I don't know who he is ? I just hope they can turn this around and get back to where they used to be
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

BillyTheKid wrote:
RocketGirl wrote:Not panicked at all. I've heard a rumour about a certain person wanting to return, but can't see it happening, not with Mr President in charge.
Wanting to return ? Wonder who that is haven't heard that at all. Didn't Mr President say a Sutherland cup in 2 years? Or something along those lines don't quote me on that think I remember reading that when the new president took over? Who's the person that wants to return ? Coach board member?
The only person that I can think of that might want to return is super fan, but since "Mr President" kicked him off the radio broadcasts that might be who RG is thinking of. That isn't the name that was mentioned to me.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Nope, not the one I was referring to.

But good to see that everyone is so concerned about what's happening in Strathroy. We'll be fine though. The new Board is doing a great job and we will be back to where we once were.
Queen of the GOJHL

BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

RocketGirl wrote:Nope, not the one I was referring to.

But good to see that everyone is so concerned about what's happening in Strathroy. We'll be fine though. The new Board is doing a great job and we will be back to where we once were.
Who's coaching this year ?
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

According to the latest update on Rockets website Brendan Riggin is the current coach.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

Looks like the Nats have made 4 significant rookie signings this year, signing LJK Major Midget grads Ryan Hopkins and Isiah Payne, former EMC player Kenny Chisholm and former St Thomas Stars AP Kyle Dawson. St Marys have signed local goalie Kyle Morning as well as returning players Dan Cloutier, Phillipl Buque and former Nat Brandon Glover. Sarnia Legionnaires have added US goalie Jorgen Johnson, local defenceman and former AP Nash Neinhuis and former Chatham Asst coach Shawn Tiffin. Lambton Shores have added highly regarded coach Brian Dobbin. The Strathroy Rockets held their mini camp early again this year.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

Oglethorp wrote:According to the latest update on Rockets website Brendan Riggin is the current coach.
I seen that also... RG said Ast coach isn't returning sorry should've said who's the new Ast coach or if anyone has been hired ?
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

myFM announced this morning that Rocket head coach Brendan Riggin has accepted an assistant coaching position with the Western Mustangs and that the Rocket head coaching position is now open. They also announced the signing of 2 AAA players.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Congrats to Riggin. It's a huge opportunity that he had to take.

And the signings announced are Sedlak, which was a given, and zCody Schneider.
Queen of the GOJHL

Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

The Rockets sure got caught with their pants down on this one. Remember you heard about it here first.

The Riggin signing has been known unofficially for a few weeks now, and it is a great personal move on his part. As many know, this was a position he previously held before joining the Rockets. One has to wonder what the GM of Strathroy has been doing to address this shortfall in the past few weeks. There are a few good candidates still out there including Ron Horvat and Merlin Malinowski. I am sure the players would like to know since they seem to have a group that would like to play together next year, something different from past seasons. Schneider is a Windsor native the played London Jr Knights Midget last year and should add offence, the Sedlak signing is an interesting one in that the Rockets traditionally don't commit to local players until main camp. All in all a few glimmers of hope that some changes in direction are occurring.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

Oglethorp wrote:The Rockets sure got caught with their pants down on this one. Remember you heard about it here first.

The Riggin signing has been known unofficially for a few weeks now, and it is a great personal move on his part. As many know, this was a position he previously held before joining the Rockets. One has to wonder what the GM of Strathroy has been doing to address this shortfall in the past few weeks. There are a few good candidates still out there including Ron Horvat and Merlin Malinowski. I am sure the players would like to know since they seem to have a group that would like to play together next year, something different from past seasons. Schneider is a Windsor native the played London Jr Knights Midget last year and should add offence, the Sedlak signing is an interesting one in that the Rockets traditionally don't commit to local players until main camp. All in all a few glimmers of hope that some changes in direction are occurring.
Lol bout time you caught on kept giving hints didn't want to be the one to say it b4 the team said something
RecKing

Post by RecKing »

The main reason Riggin was head coach was because he worked for free. Anyone seriously interested in the head coaching job will want compensation - that puts an onus on the club's GM and the Rockets' fundraising. So the question now is: experienced coach or one with little experience?
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

RocketGirl wrote:Congrats to Riggin. It's a huge opportunity that he had to take.

And the signings announced are Sedlak, which was a given, and zCody Schneider.
Any rumours you have heard of the new coach ? Or heard anything at all? Interested to see what they do here GM go back on the bench get an old coach back or go in a totally different direction. I actually I agree with you for once lol I think it was you that wrote a while ago this league needs new young and up and coming coaches give them a chance at least in stead of using all these recycled coaches all the time
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

RecKing wrote:The main reason Riggin was head coach was because he worked for free. Anyone seriously interested in the head coaching job will want compensation - that puts an onus on the club's GM and the Rockets' fundraising. So the question now is: experienced coach or one with little experience?
Highly doubt that he worked for free so don't know where you heard that from. Didn't do it for a lot of money or for the Money at all he caught a break and took. All the best to him. Now in my opinion these guys need to go in a whole new direction but that's not going to change with there current GM. Why go back to an old coach they haven't done anything in 5 years have they ? There's got to be somebody out there they can get that's new. Somebody mentioned Merlin lol yeh right and that same person mentioned Horvat to yeh right lol.... I dunno who's out there but there's gotta be somebody. Not these old bums that have been kicking around the league for years.