Off season news/ Player movement

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

Re: Off season news

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:I'm not sure what your issue with me saying we is. I have every right to say we, like everyone else in the organization. Hell, I've been there since before any of the players were born, or even thought of at this point.
I'm going to have to support you on that. Even very passionate fans say 'we'. So anyone who's involved, or has been involved with a team is more than entitled to use that term. Just my opinion.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

Port hockey1 wrote:
RocketGirl wrote:I sometimes wonder, is it the player or is it pushy parents that make them move to the OJHL.

I know that we had a player go to the OJ for 1 season and then came back the next. When I asked him why, he said that he'd heard so much about the OJ that he wanted to check it out and see for himself what it was like. Once he got there, he realized it wasn't that great, but decided to stick out the season. The next year, he came back and brought some friends with him.
That's a shame. I remember when anyone who wasn't going to make it in the CHL would stick with their Jr.B team for 3-5 years. I wish things were able to get back to those days, although some teams do a great job of retaining their players.
That was a different time. I remember guys like Joe Thornton playing on a full time Jr B roster at 15. Now we have limited 16 year old cards that some teams sell off to OHL clubs so they can develop their draft picks instead of working with a local kid (likely undrafted) that they can have for 5 years. The league is now a development league, a stepping stone to bigger and better places instead of a home to play out a junior career. Kids in midget hockey are now being sold on the NCAA dream, how many are told if you aren't a top 3-4 round pick protect your eligibility for an NCAA free ride. The agents or "family advisors" as they like to be called try to move the players to a Jr A team before 18 so they will be seen by more scouts, it is the same reason the parents bought into playing AAA was to turn hockey into a career or a path to a "free" education. Jr A does see more D1 offers than Jr B.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

Oglethorp wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:
RocketGirl wrote:I sometimes wonder, is it the player or is it pushy parents that make them move to the OJHL.

I know that we had a player go to the OJ for 1 season and then came back the next. When I asked him why, he said that he'd heard so much about the OJ that he wanted to check it out and see for himself what it was like. Once he got there, he realized it wasn't that great, but decided to stick out the season. The next year, he came back and brought some friends with him.
That's a shame. I remember when anyone who wasn't going to make it in the CHL would stick with their Jr.B team for 3-5 years. I wish things were able to get back to those days, although some teams do a great job of retaining their players.
That was a different time. I remember guys like Joe Thornton playing on a full time Jr B roster at 15. Now we have limited 16 year old cards that some teams sell off to OHL clubs so they can develop their draft picks instead of working with a local kid (likely undrafted) that they can have for 5 years. The league is now a development league, a stepping stone to bigger and better places instead of a home to play out a junior career. Kids in midget hockey are now being sold on the NCAA dream, how many are told if you aren't a top 3-4 round pick protect your eligibility for an NCAA free ride. The agents or "family advisors" as they like to be called try to move the players to a Jr A team before 18 so they will be seen by more scouts, it is the same reason the parents bought into playing AAA was to turn hockey into a career or a path to a "free" education. Jr A does see more D1 offers than Jr B.
very well written and its completely right also. Lots of kids back in the day used to get drafted from Jr b to the O and high draft picks also. Now with the limit on 16 year olds these kids are staying in AAA and I don't blame them there's more OHL scouts there and ncaa scouts there also. How does this change ? I don't know everybody seems to know though or has an opinion on it. Maybe no limit to 16 year old cards at all and make it a Jr a league ? It's hard to say how things would change. All I know is things have to change because all these kids are bolting out of here and it's a shame
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

[/quote]very well written and its completely right also. Lots of kids back in the day used to get drafted from Jr b to the O and high draft picks also. Now with the limit on 16 year olds these kids are staying in AAA and I don't blame them there's more OHL scouts there and ncaa scouts there also. How does this change ? I don't know everybody seems to know though or has an opinion on it. Maybe no limit to 16 year old cards at all and make it a Jr a league ? It's hard to say how things would change. All I know is things have to change because all these kids are bolting out of here and it's a shame[/quote]

Just a few thoughts

The 16 year old year or the "year of hell" as I have heard it referred to as is often the worst hockey experience of a players career. Because the cards are at a premium they become bargaining chips. Very few teams use those cards to develop a long term player. They will instead sell them off to an OHL team or an agent or an individual. The OHL teams cannot find enough cards at the Jr A or Jr B level to develop their players, so it becomes increasingly rare to see an undrafted player get any of them.

Many kids are forced to choose between another year of Midget or Jr C. Most will recommend that a skilled player go the Midget route because it is more similar to JrB or OHL with practice frequency and there are still some scouts in attendance. Others will choose Jr C because of size but development is limited because of the environment with so many doing a victory lap and very limited practices. Scouts are very rare in Jr C.

There is also a very significant number that quit hockey at 16. Some theorize that they are burnt out but in many cases after being knocked down several pegs by Hockey Canada's 16 year old policy they just give up.

In the end the 16 year olds that play JrB for the most part are just rental players. When they come in at 17 from Midget they still have potential to play higher levels if they still have the drive left after the 16 year old year of hell, the 17 year old coming from JrC may have the drive but limited practice ice at 16 makes it a big hill to climb.

In any case if they still want to advance they need to play where they will be seen the most to increase the odds. In minor hockey, the scouts see more AAA games than A, they also watch more Jr A than Jr B. That is not going to change. More scouts live in the GTA than in the London/Chatham area and the scouts will see more games closer to home than further away. That is not likely to change either. What handicaps the GOJHL is that Brampton is the only GTA team. Some other like Ancaster and Guelph are close enough to draw a decent amount of scouting visit. The teams in the West are too distant from the GTA and with no interlocking games (the GMs shudder at the thought) West teams are not seen by the GTA scouts. The Michigan scouts will jump over the border to catch a game in Lasalle of Leamington but not as frequently as they watch games in Michigan. For these reasons it is not hard for a Jr A team to offer better exposure to GOJHL player and especially those in the West.

I think the GOJHL should break away from the OHA and become a separate Jr A league, just like the CCHL. The league needs to do interlocking games to increase exposure of its product. If this were the case players would need a trade to go to a different Jr A league instead of just making a move. The league also needs to be much better at communicating with the public like the OJHL does. I know raising the bar means some of the poorer teams won't be able to meet the league standards but that is just way it will need to be.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

I think the GOJHL should break away from the OHA and become a separate Jr A league, just like the CCHL. The league needs to do interlocking games to increase exposure of its product. If this were the case players would need a trade to go to a different Jr A league instead of just making a move. The league also needs to be much better at communicating with the public like the OJHL does. I know raising the bar means some of the poorer teams won't be able to meet the league standards but that is just way it will need to be.
Agree with you 100%.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

Oglethorp wrote:
very well written and its completely right also. Lots of kids back in the day used to get drafted from Jr b to the O and high draft picks also. Now with the limit on 16 year olds these kids are staying in AAA and I don't blame them there's more OHL scouts there and ncaa scouts there also. How does this change ? I don't know everybody seems to know though or has an opinion on it. Maybe no limit to 16 year old cards at all and make it a Jr a league ? It's hard to say how things would change. All I know is things have to change because all these kids are bolting out of here and it's a shame[/quote]

Just a few thoughts

The 16 year old year or the "year of hell" as I have heard it referred to as is often the worst hockey experience of a players career. Because the cards are at a premium they become bargaining chips. Very few teams use those cards to develop a long term player. They will instead sell them off to an OHL team or an agent or an individual. The OHL teams cannot find enough cards at the Jr A or Jr B level to develop their players, so it becomes increasingly rare to see an undrafted player get any of them.

Many kids are forced to choose between another year of Midget or Jr C. Most will recommend that a skilled player go the Midget route because it is more similar to JrB or OHL with practice frequency and there are still some scouts in attendance. Others will choose Jr C because of size but development is limited because of the environment with so many doing a victory lap and very limited practices. Scouts are very rare in Jr C.

There is also a very significant number that quit hockey at 16. Some theorize that they are burnt out but in many cases after being knocked down several pegs by Hockey Canada's 16 year old policy they just give up.

In the end the 16 year olds that play JrB for the most part are just rental players. When they come in at 17 from Midget they still have potential to play higher levels if they still have the drive left after the 16 year old year of hell, the 17 year old coming from JrC may have the drive but limited practice ice at 16 makes it a big hill to climb.

In any case if they still want to advance they need to play where they will be seen the most to increase the odds. In minor hockey, the scouts see more AAA games than A, they also watch more Jr A than Jr B. That is not going to change. More scouts live in the GTA than in the London/Chatham area and the scouts will see more games closer to home than further away. That is not likely to change either. What handicaps the GOJHL is that Brampton is the only GTA team. Some other like Ancaster and Guelph are close enough to draw a decent amount of scouting visit. The teams in the West are too distant from the GTA and with no interlocking games (the GMs shudder at the thought) West teams are not seen by the GTA scouts. The Michigan scouts will jump over the border to catch a game in Lasalle of Leamington but not as frequently as they watch games in Michigan. For these reasons it is not hard for a Jr A team to offer better exposure to GOJHL player and especially those in the West.

I think the GOJHL should break away from the OHA and become a separate Jr A league, just like the CCHL. The league needs to do interlocking games to increase exposure of its product. If this were the case players would need a trade to go to a different Jr A league instead of just making a move. The league also needs to be much better at communicating with the public like the OJHL does. I know raising the bar means some of the poorer teams won't be able to meet the league standards but that is just way it will need to be.[/quote] I agree with everything you said there. But one thing you left out if your good enough a scout is going to find you. Don't kid your self there's scouts every where. Yes more in Toronto for the obvious reason. But like I said if your good enough they will find you,
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Chatham forward T.McGeen has left for the BCHL.

This league has turned into a mess. You can call it 'development', but I call it a revolving door! How do teams expect fans to come out when their roster changes so dramatically every year???
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

" I agree with everything you said there. But one thing you left out if your good enough a scout is going to find you. Don't kid your self there's scouts every where. Yes more in Toronto for the obvious reason. But like I said if your good enough they will find you,"

Someone will find you eventually if you are good enough. NHL teams have found players after their junior career is over before, it just doesn't happen very often. If you are good, the odds of being offered something increase with the frequency that you have been seen. I don't think you can blame a player for moving somewhere to increase his odds. As for McGeen, he is going to the most heavily scouted league in Canada and one where you don't have to pay. Sounds like the smart thing to do if the OHL isn't in your future.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

I believe the BCHL operates much like the OHL does. They are pretty much on the ice every day. That sure beats a lot of GOJHL teams that practice only twice a week. I realize some GOJHL clubs are on the ice for three practices a week, but most aren't. It only makes sense the more ice, the faster you develop. We have some top notch coaches in the GOJHL, but if they were given a little more ice, the skill level would increase dramatically, as would the success on the ice. That extra practice is usually set aside for special teams, set plays, etc.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Well Brookshaw will be a Star, and looks like he'll be their captain too.
Attachments
IMG_20160612_170555.jpg
IMG_20160612_170555.jpg (75.59 KiB) Viewed 21847 times
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

Marcie wrote:I believe the BCHL operates much like the OHL does. They are pretty much on the ice every day. That sure beats a lot of GOJHL teams that practice only twice a week. I realize some GOJHL clubs are on the ice for three practices a week, but most aren't. It only makes sense the more ice, the faster you develop. We have some top notch coaches in the GOJHL, but if they were given a little more ice, the skill level would increase dramatically, as would the success on the ice. That extra practice is usually set aside for special teams, set plays, etc.
CCHL teams are generally in the gym and on the ice daily as well, I had thought that most of the GOJHL teams had moved to 3 full practices weekly by now. The BCHL is as close to major junior as you can get without being there. Many of their teams scouted here this year. I think there maybe a few more announcements still to come.

Being on the ice and in the gym daily can be tough on a student still in school full time.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Hockey - School - Social Life. Pick two. I've never seen someone successful at all three.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

Good news for the Stars resigning Brookshaw. Looks like they maybe scrambling for some players this year with Hutchison Ferris and Dampier aging out. With the departures of McJannet, Mc Cormick and Moniz as well as Nother pondering another run at the OJHL they will have some holes to fill. Running the very last mini camp may have hurt them. Coach Kelly got a lot of mileage out of his two JrC AP players, but both have apparently signed elsewhere already.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

From the Southpoint Sun about Flyers' netminder Tyler Wall and some of his teammates:

The young hockey player won’t have much time to reminisce when school ends. He
has accepted a scholarship with the University of Massachusetts at Lowell this fall but the
school year will begin on July 5.
“They want their freshman hockey players to start the routine to lighten the load through
the season,” said Tyler. But he will be back towards summer’s end to see family and friends.
As well as the awards, Tyler has been ranked 30th among North American goaltenders
for the 2016 NHL entry draft.
Along with Tyler, five other members of this season’s Flyers are headed to American colleges
with scholarships. Three will be playing together at Adrian College in Adrian, Michigan.
They are J.P. Grineau of Leamington, Scott Emerson of Mississauga, and Michael
Barrett of Toledo, OH. David Storey of Toronto will play for Ryerson, and Luke Sanko of
Lakeshore will play for Midland University in Freemont, Nebraska.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

The St Thomas Stars have announced the signing of 16 year old Jake Murray a former Elgin Middlesex Chief. Murray will add much needed offence to the Stars. The Strathroy Rockets improved the backend with the announced the signing of 17 year old former Elgin Middlesex Chief defenceman Braeden Bowers.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

The Strathroy Rockets announced another player signing this week. They inked a deal on Komoka native Braeden Bowers who played major midget AAA last season with the London Jr Knights. Rockets GM Mike Bondy says Bowers is a smooth skating defencemen and is a welcome addition to the hockey team. Braeden will be attending main camp which gets started on August 20.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

Marcie wrote:The Strathroy Rockets announced another player signing this week. They inked a deal on Komoka native Braeden Bowers who played major midget AAA last season with the London Jr Knights. Rockets GM Mike Bondy says Bowers is a smooth skating defencemen and is a welcome addition to the hockey team. Braeden will be attending main camp which gets started on August 20.
This seems to another indication that the Rockets are trying to make smarter decisions with local players than they had in the past, it is no secret that players can go elsewhere now.
boaaa17

Post by boaaa17 »

While its great that the Rockets are signing these kids early, I think they should also be resigning their returnees soon, as Im sure other offers are starting to trickle in (other teams, other leagues, schools etc) That being said Im not sure if the Rockets retain their rights after the season or not.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Yes, I've been waiting for the announcement(s) on what vets we, there's that word again, have re-signed. The easiest way to lock them up for the season, and make sure the OJHL doesn't get them, is to sign them early. Plus, it gets fans excited to see their favourite guys back for another season.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
DETGHOJHLFAN

Post by DETGHOJHLFAN »

Hi I was just Wondering if anyone knows where Ethan Skinner will be playing for the Upcoming Season will he Sign with Trenton or will be go back to Elmira ? Thanks
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

DETGHOJHLFAN wrote:Hi I was just Wondering if anyone knows where Ethan Skinner will be playing for the Upcoming Season will he Sign with Trenton or will be go back to Elmira ? Thanks
The rumors I heard during the playoffs were Trenton. But until a card is signed...
DETGHOJHLFAN

Post by DETGHOJHLFAN »

i also heard those rumors during the playoffs that he hoped to be in Trenton for next Season but as you said until the card is signed nothings official
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

According to OJHL transactions, Strathroy has lost Dman Jeff Clarke to Oakville of the OJ.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Clarke was one of the Rockets' two underagers from last year. He is a tough defendor, a London Knights draft pick with a nice +- and a super nice kid. The Knights were out a lot to see him. We wish him well.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

D Jordan DiCicco is headed to Cobourg of the OJHL.

Looked good in London last season.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Well this is an issue that we members of the forum have discussed a lot - how to keep GOJHL players in the GOJHL instead of jumping to Prov. Jr. A. The BCHL is different situation entirely, as we all know that is a much better league with a lot of benefits. Tier II was always seen as an "equal" league. It is a tough pill to swallow to develop a kid for a year or two, and then see them go Tier II. Are we nothing more than a developmental league for Prov. Jr. A?
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Marcie wrote:Well this is an issue that we members of the forum have discussed a lot - how to keep GOJHL players in the GOJHL instead of jumping to Prov. Jr. A. The BCHL is different situation entirely, as we all know that is a much better league with a lot of benefits. Tier II was always seen as an "equal" league. It is a tough pill to swallow to develop a kid for a year or two, and then see them go Tier II. Are we nothing more than a developmental league for Prov. Jr. A?
I've seen kids come down from the OJHL and struggle in this league after being around a point per game in the OJHL. I've seen other kids come down who didn't produce much in that league & start racking up points in our league.

In my opinion, the OJHL has a few team's that would most likely defeat pretty much all of the teams in the GOJHL. But a lot of teams in the OJHL would be embarrassed by some of the top teams in the GOJHL.

I'm thinking GOJHL teams need to try and find more creative reasons to give these kids when they ask why they should stay. Because as countless players coming back over the years has shown, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. :)
Marcie

Re: Off season news/ Player movement

Post by Marcie »

It was a busy day for the Flyers. The team has signed 5 Windsor Jr. Spitfires Major Midgets players for 2016/17.

1 Griffin Robinson (played 2 reg season and 2 playoff games last year for the Flyers); 5' 10" 170 lbs. Windsor Jr. Spitfires Major Midgets, led Spits and Alliance league in scoring last year

2 Dallas Maurovic 1999 birth year, forward, Windsor Jr. Spitfires Major Midgets 6' 185 lbs.

3 Sylvano Valente def., 1999 birth year, Windsor Jr. Spitfires Major Midgets, hometown Tecumseh; 5' 10" 185 lbs.

4 Blake Bain, forward, Belle River native, 1999 birth year, Windsor Jr. Spitfires Major Midgets, 5' 8" 160 lbs

5 Jaydon Fetter, defense, 1999 birth year, 5' 11" 175 lbs., Windsor resident, Windsor Jr. Spitfires Major Midgets
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

Port hockey1 wrote:
Marcie wrote:Well this is an issue that we members of the forum have discussed a lot - how to keep GOJHL players in the GOJHL instead of jumping to Prov. Jr. A. The BCHL is different situation entirely, as we all know that is a much better league with a lot of benefits. Tier II was always seen as an "equal" league. It is a tough pill to swallow to develop a kid for a year or two, and then see them go Tier II. Are we nothing more than a developmental league for Prov. Jr. A?
I've seen kids come down from the OJHL and struggle in this league after being around a point per game in the OJHL. I've seen other kids come down who didn't produce much in that league & start racking up points in our league.

In my opinion, the OJHL has a few team's that would most likely defeat pretty much all of the teams in the GOJHL. But a lot of teams in the OJHL would be embarrassed by some of the top teams in the GOJHL.

I'm thinking GOJHL teams need to try and find more creative reasons to give these kids when they ask why they should stay. Because as countless players coming back over the years has shown, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. :)
i guess some of these kids think the OJ has more to offer.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

RocketGirl wrote:Yes, I've been waiting for the announcement(s) on what vets we, there's that word again, have re-signed. The easiest way to lock them up for the season, and make sure the OJHL doesn't get them, is to sign them early. Plus, it gets fans excited to see their favourite guys back for another season.
Lol once again the "we" word your saying for a team that's embarrassed to have you around for things you say on here and do from what I've been told :shock: lol. Anyways who's the new coach ? Since your so up to date on your team and no everything what's going on :? Lol. "We" would love to know who the new coach is since they have already signed him.