Chatham Head Coach

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

flyers2011

Chatham Head Coach

Post by flyers2011 »

Heard a rumor today the Maroons head coach has stepped down. Has anyone else heard this.
End of a era in Leamington
Port hockey1

Re: Chatham Head Coach

Post by Port hockey1 »

It wouldn't surprise me. On the other forum it was said that Chatham has signed the Admirals leading scorer. If that's true, great news!
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

This is the article in the Chatham Daily News. Roeszler says that it was over recent disagreements over the direction that the team should go in.

Personally, it was only a matter of time.

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2016/05/ ... om-maroons
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
leafs63

Post by leafs63 »

flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

''The Maroons' next head coach will be the sixth since Bill and Karen Szekesy bought the team in September 2010.'' Maybe its the ownership ???????????????????
End of a era in Leamington
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

flyers2011 wrote:''The Maroons' next head coach will be the sixth since Bill and Karen Szekesy bought the team in September 2010.'' Maybe its the ownership ???????????????????
No maybe about it! :wink:
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

So this is interesting... This was written about the brother of Chatham's new coach in an article on yahoo.
His younger brother Brian ("The Even Smaller Ball of Hate?") Verbeek never made it to the show, but was damn determined to get his two sons there; which is usually a bad recipe for sports parenting. In May, he pleaded guilty in the Ontario Court of Justice to two counts of assaulting his then 9- and 11-year-old sons in an attempt to get them to train harder, according to the Kingston Whig-Standard. The paper reports today that he's been given a "conditional discharge and probation for 18 months," along with counseling.
Brian Verbeek, who has been a full-time hockey instructor for the last four years, was narc'd on by his own kids.
And here's an article about the incident.

http://www.thewhig.com/2008/06/26/hocke ... -discharge

The guy they hired looks to be a great fit for the job... But with that kind of family history, was this the best solution when it comes to filling the coaching vacancy? :smt084
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

flyers2011 wrote:''The Maroons' next head coach will be the sixth since Bill and Karen Szekesy bought the team in September 2010.'' Maybe its the ownership ???????????????????
Something to be said for these owners and gm's that wouldn't know a good hockey decision if it hit them in the face.
Lambton Shores 6 coaches in 4 seasons (3 parent coaches)
St. Marys' 6 coaches in 4 seasons (2 parent coaches)
Both teams have been the bottom 2 for 4 seasons....no coincidence there.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

The following was posted on the other forum.

EXCLUSIVE: Verbeek Speaks Out About Charges
BY MATT WEVERINKMAY 13, 2016 5:59AM@Matt_Weverink
The new head coach of the Chatham Maroons is breaking his silence on a pair of assault convictions that have followed him around for almost a decade.

According to an article that was published in the Kingston Whig-Standard, Brian Verbeek pleaded guilty in 2008 to two counts of assault involving his sons who were nine and 11 years old at the time.

As a result of the convictions, Verbeek was handed a conditional discharge and 18 months of probation with an order for counselling.

In an exclusive interview and a prepared statement, Verbeek tells BlackburnNews.com the charges were just one small piece of a much larger picture.

“What people don’t understand is that this case had to do with a long and protracted bitter and toxic divorce, and a series of family court battles that I ended up being entrenched in against my ex-spouse for 10 of the 13 years from 1998 – April 2011,” says Verbeek. “Those who have been through a bitter divorce will likely understand this to some degree, but one would be hard pressed to find a divorce battle that was being waged against them for as long or as ferociously as this one.”

During that battle in family court, Verbeek claims he was forced to decide between making a deal with the Crown to get the charges dealt with quickly or face a lengthy and expensive journey through the criminal court system.

“These criminal charges weren’t for the purpose of actually holding any value or ‘sticking’ in the criminal system,” says Verbeek. “They were purposely laid to erode my resources of cash and time… Until they were dealt with, my family court matters and access to my sons was put in limbo, and could not be properly dealt with.”

To this day, Verbeek maintains his innocence.

“Even though the validity and profound embellishment and complete fabrication of the charges brought against me were the most ridiculous thing I or anybody else had ever heard of, the problem with this was not the charges themselves but the number of them that kept on coming and the time and cost to deal with these countless charges,” says Verbeek. “Based on the number of charges, which had next to no chance of conviction according to my lawyer, it was still far quicker and easier and more cost effective from my point to make a deal with the crown, provided no criminal record would result.”

Verbeek goes on to point out that since the release of the article in 2008, he has coached hundreds of kids at all levels, from novice to pro.

“Had there been a flaw in my coaching character, it would definitely have surfaced by now over all these years,” says Verbeek. “And had I been a bad character, these kids and players of all ages would not seek me out for training or for team play or support me in my coaching endeavors.”

Verbeek says now that he has addressed the article directly, he is hoping to find some peace in his own life and continue to further his career in the field of coaching and training hockey athletes.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

cpt obvious wrote:
Something to be said for these owners and gm's that wouldn't know a good hockey decision if it hit them in the face.
Lambton Shores 6 coaches in 4 seasons (3 parent coaches)
St. Marys' 6 coaches in 4 seasons (2 parent coaches)
Both teams have been the bottom 2 for 4 seasons....no coincidence there.
Some parents can't let go. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see more of this from the league cellar dwellers. New parent behind the bench in Lambton Shores, parent behind the bench in St Marys, but watch to see the offspring of the St Marys GM to make his GOJHL debut this season as an AP. I know the St Marys President set the example already with his boy on the team last year.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Verbeek has a plan! He wants to rebuild the reputation of the Maroons and get them back to being a winning club and the program that draws players in and makes them want to play for Chatham.

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2016/05/ ... -the-grade
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Looking forward to see what he brings to the table. Hopefully most of the vets return.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I read this last week on Twitter from Brendan Ross (@RossyYoungblood).

Heard rumblings that one of my favourite local OHL undraftees- Ross Krieger - may be headed to BCHL. #GOJHL Rookie of the Year. Good on him
Queen of the GOJHL

Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

I had heard this as well. There was a fair amount of invites from the BCHL teams generally directed at the undrafted 17 year olds players that are looking at the NCAA route. The BCHL is the heaviest scouted league in Canada by NCAA, some say it is as good as the USHL if that is your route of choice. Last season Waterloo lost Kyle Betts to the BCHL and he has done very well. My understanding is that it costs less to play than the GOJHL' $1100 price tag last year, more inline with what traditional junior hockey was back in the day. Ross will do well in the BCHL if what is being said is true.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Oglethorp wrote:I had heard this as well. There was a fair amount of invites from the BCHL teams generally directed at the undrafted 17 year olds players that are looking at the NCAA route. The BCHL is the heaviest scouted league in Canada by NCAA, some say it is as good as the USHL if that is your route of choice. Last season Waterloo lost Kyle Betts to the BCHL and he has done very well. My understanding is that it costs less to play than the GOJHL' $1100 price tag last year, more inline with what traditional junior hockey was back in the day. Ross will do well in the BCHL if what is being said is true.
From what I understand the BCHL is free. They provide all equipment, billeting, etc. Our league I've heard it varies. Some teams with money (Stratford for example) doesn't charge any fees, but many teams have to pass along the GOJHL fees (around 1100) to the players and then provide everything after that.

Still better than the OJHL and the 4-12K I've heard depending on team.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

ILuvHackey wrote:
Oglethorp wrote:I had heard this as well. There was a fair amount of invites from the BCHL teams generally directed at the undrafted 17 year olds players that are looking at the NCAA route. The BCHL is the heaviest scouted league in Canada by NCAA, some say it is as good as the USHL if that is your route of choice. Last season Waterloo lost Kyle Betts to the BCHL and he has done very well. My understanding is that it costs less to play than the GOJHL' $1100 price tag last year, more inline with what traditional junior hockey was back in the day. Ross will do well in the BCHL if what is being said is true.
From what I understand the BCHL is free. They provide all equipment, billeting, etc. Our league I've heard it varies. Some teams with money (Stratford for example) doesn't charge any fees, but many teams have to pass along the GOJHL fees (around 1100) to the players and then provide everything after that.

Still better than the OJHL and the 4-12K I've heard depending on team.
Being the #1 pay to play league in Canada is really the only significant thing the OJHL is known for. The level of talent is comparable to the GOJHL. I would be surprised if it only cost 4K to play on one of their teams. That quote likely doesn't include the add-ons like billets and equipment that they bill the players for after they have committed. CCHL teams are running about 6-7K including billets. My information is the BCHL is one of the leagues that are free to play in, as well as a league that draws in NHL scouting. As a senior NHL scout told me earlier in the year the problem with Ontario Jr A hockey is that they are just pay to play leagues, paying ability over rides playing ability resulting in a watered down product on the ice.

Pay to play seems to be an Ontario thing and the OHA leads the way with its JrA league, the OJHL. The GOJHL has taken steps in that direction with the introduction of its $750 GOJHL fee last year on top of the $339 OHA fee per head. As mentioned the elite level teams in our league have and will find ways to neutralize that charge to its players, however others are moving in the other direction. Some teams have or are contemplating making their players pay for billets and equipment going forward, with the OHA blessing no doubt. I was told that one of the Western Conference teams plans to make their players buy their own sticks and helmets going forward. There is already at least one that only provides transportation to 1/2 of its road games, where the Midwest teams (with less travel) provide travel to all games so far.

As for Kreiger (and other 18 year olds) heading west, can anyone blame them? Faster league, NHL level scouting as well as NCAA, $0.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Looks like the coaching change has really hurt the Maroons.

From the Chatham daily news; June 17th, 2016
Maroons lose D-man

The Chatham Maroons won't be adding Jaydon Fetter to their blue-line after all.

They committed to the 16-year-old defenceman from Windsor before their prospects camp in May, but he signed Thursday with the Leamington Flyers.

Maroons head coach Tyler Roeszler resigned less than a week after announcing the commitment and was replaced by Brian Verbeek.

The five-foot-11, 175-pound Fetter played this past season with the Windsor Midget 'AAA' Jr. Spitfires.

He had six goals and 26 assists in 31 regular-season games. He tied for 12th in scoring in Alliance Hockey.
The coaching change was also the reason three top forwards bolted from the team, as is stated below.

From the Chatham daily news; Jene 18th, 2016
The Chatham Maroons' rookie trio of small, fast, skilled forwards was one of the highest-scoring lines this past season in the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League's Western Conference.

Teddy McGeen (45 points), Connor Koviak (51 points) and Ross Krieger (51 points) talked about sticking together with the Maroons next season, but each was also looking to jump to the junior 'A' ranks.

McGeen was the first to leave for the Powell River Kings of the British Columbia Hockey League.

“They'd been talking to me a little bit over the course of the season and I reached out to them at the end,” said the 18-year-old winger from Windsor. “It seems like a really good fit.”

Koviak then went to the Minnesota Wilderness of the North American Hockey League and Krieger signed with the Georgetown Raiders of the Ontario Junior Hockey League.

All three finalized their moves after Maroons head coach Tyler Roeszler resigned in May. He was replaced by Brian Verbeek.

“We were all on the same page,” said McGeen, who scored a team-high 27 goals. “Once we heard about the coaching change, it made us re-evaluate things a little. Once I made the decision to hop out west, Ross and Koviak kind of followed suit.

“I'd be lying if I said the coaching change had nothing to do with this decision.
Looking like it might be a long season. :(
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

I don't think anyone learns less from his own mistakes than Mr Szekesy. Last year he axed Mark Davis who had a successful rebuilding season with a young team, namely the Sarnia Legionnaires. When will he ever learn that the grass isn't always greener outside his own fence. Actually I think we know that day will never come. Carelessly displacing players and coaches has got the team nowhere. He is like a crow that will leave a slightly tarnished quarter on the ground because he caught sight of a shiny nickel. Newflash: All that glitters isn't gold, Mr Bill.

Both Riggin and Roeszler proved to be good young and upcoming coaches. It is a loss for the league to see them both leave so soon. What we are seeing in Chatham is the difference coaching selection can make. Chatham has lost a minimum of 4 impact players to date, anyone not thinking that coaching factored into the decisions would be sadly mistaken. St Marys and Strathroy should be taking note of this as it could happen elsewhere.

Maybe it is time for the GOJHL to come out with an Under Achiever of the Year award for the team that is the least productive with the resourses carried forward from the previous season.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

As per CKSN, Chatham has lost another prospect to Leamington.

http://www.cksn.ca/2016/06/maroons-lose-another-player/

The Flyers announced the signing of forward Broden Meloche Thursday, only a week after announcing the signing of defenseman Jaydon Fetter, who had also committed to the Chatham Maroons prior to their spring camp.
Queen of the GOJHL