2015-16 London Nationals, Sutherland Cup finalists: "The word proud doesn't really do it..."

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Qwerty

2015-16 London Nationals, Sutherland Cup finalists: "The word proud doesn't really do it..."

Post by Qwerty »

A note of hearty and much-deserved congratulations to the London Nationals players, coaching staff and management team on an absolutely stellar season, ending as Sutherland Cup finalists.

You are the undisputed champions of the West and Midwest Conferences, and you put up a valiant battle against the Golden Horseshoe’s Caledonia Corvairs – a team that will go down in GOJHL history as the most experienced and skilled Jr B club ever assembled.

“The word proud doesn’t really do it...”

Rogers TV Game 4 second-intermission interview
with Mike Borrows, GM of the GOJHL Junior B London Nationals

http://rogerstv.com/media?lid=237&rid=9&gid=251910

“Character” is perhaps the best word to describe the London Nationals of 2015-16, which should be remembered as a community-based team that never quit.

You were one of only two teams during the GOJHL post-season to take the Corvairs to overtime, the other team being the St. Catharine’s Falcons in Game 2 of the GH conference final.

Despite being swept in the Sutherland Cup final — just as every other team that faced the Corvairs before you was defeated in four straight games – you were the team that came the closest to putting a blemish on the Corvairs’ perfect play-off record in their unprecedented march to a third consecutive league title.

After blowing out London the first three games, (the Corvairs) were pushed to the limit by the Nats. It was Caledonia's toughest challenge, really, of the season. "That was one helluva game," (Corvairs' captain Tait) Seguin said. "They (London) played so well and battled their hearts out. I can't respect them more for that. They're one good team and they definitely deserved to be in the final."

As reported by Ryan Pyette, London Free Press

http://www.lfpress.com/2016/05/02/david ... -at-an-end

You outshot the Corvairs 8-4 in the 12 minutes of Game 4 overtime after having spilled your guts in the previous three periods to hit and skate stride-for-stride with what was, in essence, a Major Jr A caliber club. And you achieved this despite missing three veteran players from your line-up in Game 4 not to mention also playing without veteran players in the previous three games.

Playing a total of 27 hard-fought post-season games against four worthy opponents – including the LaSalle Vipers and Leamington Flyers, both of which competed for last season’s Sutherland Cup – you traveled a long road to get to the final, overcoming adversity at many turns. There is no question that you were the team that worked the hardest to earn the right to compete in the league final, and you did that through strength of character and integrity.

“I’m incredibly proud of the group that we’ve had and the accomplishments
we’ve made here this season, and I know we weren’t Sutherland Cup champions,
but I would definitely much rather be the coach of this team.”

Pat Powers, Head Coach of the GOJHL Junior B London Nationals

https://youtu.be/t5_2tF3uQP8?list=PL6Pc ... agnkDV1pCe

Again, congratulations to the entire London Nationals organization. From your many fans, thank you for an incredible and memorable season, and good luck to all the returning players on continuing your success next season.

Go, Nats, go!
Port hockey1

Re: 2015-16 London Nationals, Sutherland Cup finalists: "The word proud doesn't really do it..."

Post by Port hockey1 »

Great thread. All of the London players & staff should hold their heads high. I'm sure it wasn't easy to compete as hard as they did last night when the thought of their season coming to an end soon must have been on their minds.

They could've easily packed it in and started playing goon hockey, but that's not London's style. Those boys knew it wasn't over until it's over!

Great season London, I'm sure you'll be fighting for the West again next year. Best of luck to everyone!
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102