SUTHERLAND CUP FINAL: Caledonia(1st, GHL) vs London(2nd, West) Predictions & Playoff Thread

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

Re: SUTHERLAND CUP FINAL: Caledonia(1st, GHL) vs London(2nd, West) Predictions & Playoff Thread

Post by RocketGirl »

Caledonia is doing a free fan bus to London for this series. It's first come, first served. You're to contact Carrie (@hotNYRfan on Twitter) or Chris Cooper at the home games.

Bus will be leaving Caledonia at 5:00 for the games in London and it's a maximum of 50.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Caledonia Fan

Re: SUTHERLAND CUP FINAL: Caledonia(1st, GHL) vs London(2nd, West) Predictions & Playoff Thread

Post by Caledonia Fan »

http://www.lfpress.com/2016/04/24/battl ... e-corvairs

Here's a old article back on January 13

http://www.lfpress.com/2016/01/12/brend ... e-deadline

" The Caledonia Corvairs, who annually load up on ex-OHLers and veteran talent, are the Sutherland Cup favourites again this season. Someone has to try to knock them off."

"The Nationals figure they’re up for the job, but that means getting past conference-leading Leamington in the playoffs".

So far so good for the Nationals. Should be a great series.

Good read from Caledonia side

http://www.sachem.ca/sports-story/65146 ... up-finals/
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Thanks for sharing those stories, CF.

I see that in the same publication the Corvair$ GM has responded to criticism aimed at his team in another recent article at http://www.sachem.ca/sports-story/65082 ... r-players/

Not sure what he's driving at when he he's quoted as saying:

“The thing on us is “Oh, Caledonia is the team with money” or “Oh, Caledonia has all the 20-year-olds”; what they don’t see is the players who come in and are getting stitched up from blocking shots or getting sticks in the face,” said Caledonia Corvairs GM Brian Rizzetto. “Any team out there that has brought in high-profile players, they have to ask themselves if they got everything out of those players. Part of the magic of Caledonia has been that it doesn’t matter if you’ve played in the OHL or Junior A or high level midget hockey, you play hard the way we want you to, or you don’t play.”

Huh? Nice red herring. What do stitches and blocking shots and expecting players to "play hard" have to do with throwing money at overagers to stack half your roster with OHL talent? Is he suggesting that players on other teams aren't making the same sacrifices, getting banged up and putting everything they have into their games? Is he suggesting that other teams don't expect as much from their players?

Maybe the quote was taken out of context but we all know "the magic of Caledonia" this year has very little to do with the stuff being quoted here.
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

I hope it a good final like to seat least six games.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Qwerty wrote:“The thing on us is “Oh, Caledonia is the team with money” or “Oh, Caledonia has all the 20-year-olds”; what they don’t see is the players who come in and are getting stitched up from blocking shots or getting sticks in the face,” said Caledonia Corvairs GM Brian Rizzetto.
I read that yesterday as well Qwerty and my first thought was, isn't that true of any team? I know that our players get banged up and bruised and need some attention from the training staff from blocking shots or taking sticks in the face, and people don't see that either.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
GojhlFan74

Post by GojhlFan74 »

Qwerty and "Rocketgirl" we knew you'd have something to say.. Qwerty you missed the bottom half of that article pal... Keep fueling our jets “We’re going to be hated regardless, we understand that we’re going to be a hated team. We’ve hardened our hearts and decided that we’re doing it for us and for our fans.”

two teams left, you don't get here if you haven't earned it, it's going to be a battle! May the best team win!
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Why do you have quotes around my name. It implies that I'm not RG, but I am RG.

And I was just pointing out that yes, all teams have guys that are banged up and bruised from playing the game that nobody else sees. It's not just your team.

But yes, the 2 teams that are left have earned their spot to be there and I hope it's a real battle. See you tomorrow night Painter.
Queen of the GOJHL

Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Qwerty wrote:Thanks for sharing those stories, CF.

I see that in the same publication the Corvair$ GM has responded to criticism aimed at his team in another recent article at http://www.sachem.ca/sports-story/65082 ... r-players/

Not sure what he's driving at when he he's quoted as saying:

“The thing on us is “Oh, Caledonia is the team with money” or “Oh, Caledonia has all the 20-year-olds”; what they don’t see is the players who come in and are getting stitched up from blocking shots or getting sticks in the face,” said Caledonia Corvairs GM Brian Rizzetto. “Any team out there that has brought in high-profile players, they have to ask themselves if they got everything out of those players. Part of the magic of Caledonia has been that it doesn’t matter if you’ve played in the OHL or Junior A or high level midget hockey, you play hard the way we want you to, or you don’t play.”

Huh? Nice red herring. What do stitches and blocking shots and expecting players to "play hard" have to do with throwing money at overagers to stack half your roster with OHL talent? Is he suggesting that players on other teams aren't making the same sacrifices, getting banged up and putting everything they have into their games? Is he suggesting that other teams don't expect as much from their players?

Maybe the quote was taken out of context but we all know "the magic of Caledonia" this year has very little to do with the stuff being quoted here.
I thought the quote was pretty clear. He's saying that his teams will be hard to deal with, with or without ex-OHL players.

And that has already been proven the last two seasons... When they won the Cup with only a few ex-OHL players on their roster... Compared to several on St.Catharines roster.

He's saying that his team will get everything out of its kids. If they had the talent of Lambton Shores... They'd be battling for 2nd place at the very least.

As many teams have shown, all the talent in the world doesn't mean anything... Unless you've got the right people behind the bench!

So yeah, a lot of teams don't get even a fraction of what Caledonia gets out of their players. If you really think every team in the league gives it everything, you're dead wrong. :) :wink:

BTW: Look at St.Catharines from 2 years ago... I'd say the things mentioned have everything to do with their success. If what you said was true, we wouldn't even need to play the games... That and London would've lost to Leamington in 5 or 6 games. You're soooo bitter. :lol: :smt006
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Some numbers

Some say Caledonia's stats are loaded due to them having to face Pelham in the 1st round. Fair enough. I've taken those numbers away from Caledonia's top 5 scorers and here's what they did in the other 3 rounds... Even though had they played a worthy opponent in the 1st round, the stats would be better. But here's a look at their stats against everyone else...

Caledonia's top 5 against Pelahm:

1.C.Pawley- 4 games, 4-13--17
2.M.Hore- 4 games, 5-7--12
3.M.Fitzmorris- 2 games, 6-4--10
4.B.Luscombe- 4 games, 3-8--11
5.T.Hill- 4 games, 4-3--7

Caledonia's top 5 against their other 3 opponents:

1.C.Pawley- 12 games, 11-22--33
2.M.Hore- 12 games, 11-14--25
3.M.Fitzmorris- 12 games, 12-14--26
4.B.Luscombe- 11 games, 4-16--20
5.T.Hill- 12 games, 8-11--19

As everyone can see, Caledonia has been a well oiled machine against everyone. That isn't only due to the players... It's the work ethic. St.Catharines picked up 5-7 ex-OHL players two seasons back, how'd that work out for them?

So anyone who thinks Caledonia can't win without those kids, I have to question their knowledge of this league. :)
Last edited by Port hockey1 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

What do you think of the Sutherland Cup schedule.
Sat. Sun. and Mon three in a row that's going to be a grind.
You would think every other day would be better.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Caledonia Fan wrote:What do you think of the Sutherland Cup schedule.
Sat. Sun. and Mon three in a row that's going to be a grind.
You would think every other day would be better.
If that's how London wanted it... They're the ones with the disadvantage. They aren't as deep, and they rely heavily on their goalie.

The few saying London has a big advantage in net are in for a rude awakening. Sinclair has made many jaw dropping saves this post season. Is Hughes the better goalie... Sure, I give him the edge. But he isn't as much better than Sinclair as a few misguided London fans might think. :)
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

I thought they would spread it out a bit more three in three leads to sloppy hockey for both teams why the rush,
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

three dog night wrote:I thought they would spread it out a bit more three in three leads to sloppy hockey for both teams why the rush,
I agree. I've heard it's really hard to get ice time in London at this time of year. Must have been their only option.
oldtymer

Post by oldtymer »

Port hockey1 wrote:
Qwerty wrote:Regardless of who wins, history will be made. If the highly favoured Corvair$ meet expectations, they will be the first team ever to win 3 consecutive Sutherland Cups and the last team to win the GO title with a roster comprised overwhelmingly of 20-year-olds and former OHL overagers -- thanks to next year's rule changes that will begin to harness the corrupt recruiting practices demonstrated by the Corvair$ this past season. If the underdog Nationals win, they'll be the first Sutherland Cup champions that had to defeat a Jr A team to win their Jr B league title. I wish good luck to the players on both teams but will be cheering for the club with the best goaltender in the league, hands down. Go, London, go.
The only thing corrupt is this B.S. being spewed by the haters, and those who are jealous.

I've noticed how you look for any angle you can in an attempt to make Caledonia look like cheaters... It was comical at first... But now it's just down right hilarious. :lol: :lol:

How many 20 year olds were on the Sutherland Cup winning teams between 1998-2012??? Yup, nobody wants to talk about that, or the fact that this league's rules were so pathetic in the first place to allow these things to happen. First team to defeat a Jr.A team...Sure! :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

BTW: I can't wait to hear all the whining about the 19 year olds, and how talented Caledonia's 18 year olds are next season. :smt035 :smt082 :smt023
First I will give credit where credit is due and Caledonia has done a great job of buying probably the greatest team in Junior B history under the current rule system. They should also be proud that a rule was named after them as a result of what they did .. I will politely clap when they win but please they have made a mockery of the league ... It is especially entertaining to listen to how a great team was built or how great Caledoniua is in terms of development .. Really priceless
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

oldtymer wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:
Qwerty wrote:Regardless of who wins, history will be made. If the highly favoured Corvair$ meet expectations, they will be the first team ever to win 3 consecutive Sutherland Cups and the last team to win the GO title with a roster comprised overwhelmingly of 20-year-olds and former OHL overagers -- thanks to next year's rule changes that will begin to harness the corrupt recruiting practices demonstrated by the Corvair$ this past season. If the underdog Nationals win, they'll be the first Sutherland Cup champions that had to defeat a Jr A team to win their Jr B league title. I wish good luck to the players on both teams but will be cheering for the club with the best goaltender in the league, hands down. Go, London, go.
The only thing corrupt is this B.S. being spewed by the haters, and those who are jealous.

I've noticed how you look for any angle you can in an attempt to make Caledonia look like cheaters... It was comical at first... But now it's just down right hilarious. :lol: :lol:

How many 20 year olds were on the Sutherland Cup winning teams between 1998-2012??? Yup, nobody wants to talk about that, or the fact that this league's rules were so pathetic in the first place to allow these things to happen. First team to defeat a Jr.A team...Sure! :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

BTW: I can't wait to hear all the whining about the 19 year olds, and how talented Caledonia's 18 year olds are next season. :smt035 :smt082 :smt023
First I will give credit where credit is due and Caledonia has done a great job of buying probably the greatest team in Junior B history under the current rule system. They should also be proud that a rule was named after them as a result of what they did .. I will politely clap when they win but please they have made a mockery of the league ... It is especially entertaining to listen to how a great team was built or how great Caledoniua is in terms of development .. Really priceless
The priceless part is that they've probably developed more young kids in the last 5 years than anyone else in the GOJHL.... But if sending a long list of kids to higher levels, including pro isn't developing young talent... I guess nothing is in your eyes. :roll: :smt006
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Port hockey1 wrote:The priceless part is that they've probably developed more young kids in the last 5 years than anyone else in the GOJHL.... But if sending a long list of kids to higher levels, including pro isn't developing young talent... I guess nothing is in your eyes. :roll: :smt006
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

The Nationals GM is quoted in the lfpress story at http://www.lfpress.com/2016/04/25/natio ... ast-finish making it crystal clear the reason for the three-games-in-three nights schedule: London has several players who are in the midst of university finals, so they had to work out the timing so those boys could write their exams and still play. I

The Corvair$, IMO, are in a no-win situation of their own making. If they win (highly probable, but not guaranteed), it will be a hollow victory, tainted with controversy due to how the team was conceived and how its recruiting practices have necessitated a league rule change. If they lose (highly unlikely, but not impossible), it will be an embarrassment and the loss will go down in history as the biggest upset in Jr B history.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Qwerty your so funny. Like Riz said. Its about getting the most out of the players. You can have all the skill you want on a team but if the work ethic isn't their your not gonna win. That's the difference between us and St kitts every year. Not really a upset if a lot of people say that this series is gonna be really close. If everybody expected Cali to walk in and demolish London then maybe it would be lopsided and be a upset. You said it yourself London has a chance
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

What's funny is all the Caledonia fans who try to convince themselves that A) the coaching has anything to do with the winning, and B) that this team has any concept of development.

The team was bought and paid for, period, end of sentence.

Oldtymer nailed it.
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

Port hockey1 wrote:Some numbers

1.C.Pawley- 12 games, 11-37--48

As everyone can see, Caledonia has been a well oiled machine against everyone. That isn't only due to the players... It's the work ethic. St.Catharines picked up 5-7 ex-OHL players two seasons back, how'd that work out for them?

So anyone who thinks Caledonia can't win without those kids, I have to question their knowledge of this league. :)
We have to question your knowledge Port...You have Pawley with a combined 65 points..He has 50 points dumb dumb. 17 of which came from the Pelham series...so he has 33 points against the other three teams..over 1/3 of his points came against that sh** stain of a team in Pelham...real superstar in my eyes.
If you want to be taken serious double check your posts... to me your'e just another sh** spewing covairs fan looking to stir the pot.
Starts tonight boys and girls...see you there.
Dr. Pepper

Post by Dr. Pepper »

cpt obvious wrote:
We have to question your knowledge Port...You have Pawley with a combined 65 points..He has 50 points dumb dumb. 17 of which came from the Pelham series...so he has 33 points against the other three teams..over 1/3 of his points came against that sh** stain of a team in Pelham...real superstar in my eyes.
If you want to be taken serious double check your posts... to me your'e just another sh** spewing covairs fan looking to stir the pot.

Now just hold on there captain, I will have to defend port on this one. Just go back over his 2000 plus past post's and you tell me where he has tried to insinuate or imply that he is smart. :smt005
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Thanks for highlighting the lfp story, CF. A good read that asks the right questions. Bullard answered his well. I have no doubt that he's a great coach and it's clear he is getting the most from his players. I also hope he's right and that some of his boys make the jump to CIS hockey next year. He might be exaggerating a touch when he says 10, but who knows... 19 of them will be too old to return to Caledonia next year, and half of those played most of their careers in the O so the odds are pretty good. (Please note that my criticism of the Corvair$ isn't directed at the players -- just the management.) Hughes speaks well, too. Impressive kid. He and the Nats know they're in for the battle of a lifetime. I hope they seize the opportunity and rise to the occasion. Go, Nats.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Here's what the game sheet looks like for the Corvair$ tonight... no editorializing... just the facts, m'am.

Of their total 19 rostered players who are 1995, two will not dress tonight -- D Brown and S Tierney, both of whom are APJs. Of those 1995s dressing (17), eight have significant experience in the OHL, as noted below. Another two younger players -- Maksimovich and Schaefer -- also have OHL experience, the former significantly so with 122 games, and the latter a rookie up-and-comer with a handful of games played last season and one last night (sounds like he scored a nice one for the Ice Dogs).

This leaves a grand total of 5 players under the age of 20 on tonight's game sheet for the Corvair$: Schaefer (1998), Bianchi (1997), Punkari (1996), J Brown (1996) and Maksimovich (1996).

1. Liam Conway (G) Oct 29, 1995 (likely won't play unless something happens to Sinclair)
2. Corey Foster (G) Jan 28, 1995 (likely won't play unless something happens to Sinclair)
3. Ryan Moran (D) Jan 10, 1995
4. Blake Luscombe (F) June 12, 1995
5. Austin Brown (F) July 26, 1995
6. Mitch Graham (F) July 5, 1995
7. Mitchell Fitzmorris (F) Apr 21, 1995 192 games in the OHL
8. Daniel Volpe (F) Mar 19, 1995
9. Nick Zottl (D) Jan 11, 1995 125 games in the OHL
10. Jordan Brown (D) Mar 5, 1995
11. Matt McCartney (F) Mar 9, 1995 125 games in the OHL
12. Chadd Baumann (D) Aug 8, 1995 209 games in the OHL
13. Tyler Hill (F) Apr 13, 1995 156 games in the OHL
14. Corey Pawley (F) Jan 3, 1995 162 games in the OHL
15. Tait Seguin (F) Mar 21, 1995 100 games in the OHL
16. Matthew Hore (F) Oct 25, 1995 48 games in the OHL
17. Todd Ratchford (D) Dec 31, 1995

18. Davis Brown (F-APJ) Jul 1, 1995 193 games in the OHL (not on tonight's game sheet, but has played 14 post-season games)
19. Stephen Tierney (G-APJ) Sep 27, 1995 (not on tonight's game sheet)
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Sorry, my mistake... 6 players under 20... didn't include Goalie M Sinclair (1996)
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

ILuvHackey wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:The priceless part is that they've probably developed more young kids in the last 5 years than anyone else in the GOJHL.... But if sending a long list of kids to higher levels, including pro isn't developing young talent... I guess nothing is in your eyes. :roll: :smt006
If that's how you respond to facts, your opinion isn't really that valid. The list of players is on another thread. Find a team that's developed more than them. Otherwise, back to your childish ways of deflecting the conversation. :smt023
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Qwerty wrote:The Nationals GM is quoted in the lfpress story at http://www.lfpress.com/2016/04/25/natio ... ast-finish making it crystal clear the reason for the three-games-in-three nights schedule: London has several players who are in the midst of university finals, so they had to work out the timing so those boys could write their exams and still play. I

The Corvair$, IMO, are in a no-win situation of their own making. If they win (highly probable, but not guaranteed), it will be a hollow victory, tainted with controversy due to how the team was conceived and how its recruiting practices have necessitated a league rule change. If they lose (highly unlikely, but not impossible), it will be an embarrassment and the loss will go down in history as the biggest upset in Jr B history.
When they win, it will have been fair and square, and due to countless hours of hard work and dedication. But the jealous haters can call it whatever they want. History baby! :smt005 :smt003
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

GoWest wrote:What's funny is all the Caledonia fans who try to convince themselves that A) the coaching has anything to do with the winning, and B) that this team has any concept of development.

The team was bought and paid for, period, end of sentence.

Oldtymer nailed it.
If you don't think coaching has anything to do with it... You're a lost cause...
cpt obvious wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:Some numbers

1.C.Pawley- 12 games, 11-37--48

I see where I made an error. My mistake, never said I was perfect like you must be. What's with the name calling?
Dr. Pepper wrote:
cpt obvious wrote:

Now just hold on there captain, I will have to defend port on this one. Just go back over his 2000 plus past post's and you tell me where he has tried to insinuate or imply that he is smart. :smt005
The haters just keep coming out of the woodwork. The personal insults are nice attempts at deflecting... But 3 peat is the only thing on my mind! :smt005
Qwerty wrote:Here's what the game sheet looks like for the Corvair$ tonight... no editorializing... just the facts, m'am.

Of their total 19 rostered players who are 1995, two will not dress tonight -- D Brown and S Tierney, both of whom are APJs. Of those 1995s dressing (17), eight have significant experience in the OHL, as noted below. Another two younger players -- Maksimovich and Schaefer -- also have OHL experience, the former significantly so with 122 games, and the latter a rookie up-and-comer with a handful of games played last season and one last night (sounds like he scored a nice one for the Ice Dogs).

This leaves a grand total of 5 players under the age of 20 on tonight's game sheet for the Corvair$: Schaefer (1998), Bianchi (1997), Punkari (1996), J Brown (1996) and Maksimovich (1996).

1. Liam Conway (G) Oct 29, 1995 (likely won't play unless something happens to Sinclair)
2. Corey Foster (G) Jan 28, 1995 (likely won't play unless something happens to Sinclair)
3. Ryan Moran (D) Jan 10, 1995
4. Blake Luscombe (F) June 12, 1995
5. Austin Brown (F) July 26, 1995
6. Mitch Graham (F) July 5, 1995
7. Mitchell Fitzmorris (F) Apr 21, 1995 192 games in the OHL
8. Daniel Volpe (F) Mar 19, 1995
9. Nick Zottl (D) Jan 11, 1995 125 games in the OHL
10. Jordan Brown (D) Mar 5, 1995
11. Matt McCartney (F) Mar 9, 1995 125 games in the OHL
12. Chadd Baumann (D) Aug 8, 1995 209 games in the OHL
13. Tyler Hill (F) Apr 13, 1995 156 games in the OHL
14. Corey Pawley (F) Jan 3, 1995 162 games in the OHL
15. Tait Seguin (F) Mar 21, 1995 100 games in the OHL
16. Matthew Hore (F) Oct 25, 1995 48 games in the OHL
17. Todd Ratchford (D) Dec 31, 1995

18. Davis Brown (F-APJ) Jul 1, 1995 193 games in the OHL (not on tonight's game sheet, but has played 14 post-season games)
19. Stephen Tierney (G-APJ) Sep 27, 1995 (not on tonight's game sheet)
What's your point...Grasping at straws again...
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

London plays goon hockey, gets thumped in game 1

Caledonia completely outplayed and outclassed London on the ice tonight. Caledonia showed a little rust early from the long break they had, but they quickly found their legs after London scored the first goal of the game while short-handed, on a breakaway.

But it was all Caledonia after that, as they fired in 4 straight goals to go into the 1st intermission up 4-1. Several London players decided they were going to resort to goon tactics from there, as several players were taking runs at Caledonia's top line, aiming for Pawley's head on several occasions.

The Three Musketeers were the worst, they would be S.Harris, C.Ruddock, & A.Cimino. If those three keep running around like thugs, this series will be over in 4 straight! London's play was an embarrassment to the West in the second half of the game. They were completely outclassed by a much more disciplined Caledonia squad.

The top line of Fitzmorris, Pawley, & Hore was dynamite once again tonight. The unofficial shots on goal were 53-19 for Caledonia. The final score was 9-3, but could've been much higher. T.Hill looked very impressive tonight, while T.Seguin has the heart of a lion out there.

My 3 Stars Of The Game:

1. Mitchell Fitzmorris(Cal)
2. Tyler Hill(Cal)
3. Sam Harris(Lon)
:P :smt082 :smt117

Note To Caledonia:

Way to go boys, you did exactly what you set out to do tonight. You played hockey and gave it everything you had out there. It would've been easy to get involved with London's goon tactics, but you kept your composure, and silenced your critics. Well done boys!!!

One down, 3 to go!!! 8) :smt033 :smt075 :smt074 :smt029
Beehive

Post by Beehive »

This should be another short series if tonight was any indication. Too bad for anyone that was expecting a competitive or exciting series.