SUTHERLAND CUP FINAL: Caledonia(1st, GHL) vs London(2nd, West) Predictions & Playoff Thread

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

SUTHERLAND CUP FINAL: Caledonia(1st, GHL) vs London(2nd, West) Predictions & Playoff Thread

Post by Port hockey1 »

Well here we go again. The winner of the Golden Horseshoe will once again face the winner of the West.

There's already been one bold prediction left by Cpt. Obvious on another thread.(he said London in 6)

I'll be back with my preview in a bit. Congrats to both teams, you've earned it! :D :smt006
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
three dog night

Re: SUTHERLAND CUP FINAL: Caledonia(1st, GHL) vs London(2nd, West) Predictions & Playoff Thread

Post by three dog night »

If London goalie remains hot I wonder how Caledonia will do on the big ice in London time will tell . I hope it a seven game series I give Caledonia the edge.
Port hockey1

Re: SUTHERLAND CUP FINAL: Caledonia(1st, GHL) vs London(2nd, West) Predictions & Playoff Thread

Post by Port hockey1 »

Sutherland Cup Finals Preview

Teams:

Caledonia(GHL)

London(West)

Regular Season:

Caledonia- finished 1st in the Golden Horseshoe

London- finished 2nd in the West

Playoff Record:

Caledonia: 16-0

London: 16-7(23 games)

Playoff stats:

Caledonia- 120 goals scored, 29 goals against, 428 penalty minutes, 8-0 at home, 8-0 on the road.

London- 83 goals scored, 69 goals against, 438 penalty minutes, 11-1 at home, 5-6 on the road.

Top playoff scorers:

Caledonia-

1.C.Pawley 16 games, 15-35--50
2.M.Hore 16 games, 16-21--37
3.M.Fitzmorris 14 games, 18-18--36
4.B.Luscombe 15 games, 7-24--31
5.T.Hill 16 games, 12-14--26

London-

1.K.Robinson 23 games, 10-16--26
2.B.Trottier 23 games, 9-15--24
3.J.Adams 23 games, 5-16--21
4.A.Kemp 23 games, 9-9--18
5.K.Madden 23 games, 7-9--16

Top playoff goalies:

Caledonia- M.Sinclair 15-0, 2 shutouts, 1.91 GAA, .921 SV%

London- C.Hughes 14-6, 2.54 GAA, .925 SV%

Injuries:

Caledonia-

D- T.Ratchford didn't play in Caledonia's last series(shoulder), his status is unknown.

London-

F-J.Warren has been shutdown, and won't play this post season.

NOTES:

London- Big boost from AP E.Guest. The kids a 2000 birth year, and has put up 4 points in 3 games(1-3).

Caledonia- 40 goal scorer Jake Brown is still finding his legs after missing Caledonia's first 10 playoff games. But he's just about back to himself with 7 points in 8 games(3-4) since returning. A.Brown has just returned from an injury and looked great in both games that he's played. He was the highest scoring defensemen in the GOJHL this season with 62 points in 45 games(21-41).

My thoughts on this series:

Caledonia & London have a lot of similarities. They both play well on larger ice, and they both rely on depth to wear their opponents down. But Caledonia is the HUGE favorites in this series. Their team depth alone will wear London down after two games. London might play well at home(11-1), but that's mostly due to the size of their ice surface. Well Caledonia plays on a good size rink as well, and they play great on bigger rinks!

It's easy to see if you've watched both of these teams this post season...

Prediction: Caledonia in 5 games!

If you wan't to make an argument for London's case, the stats listed below might make you re-think their chances

Some comparable stats, and other general stats

The general stats:

-Caledonia has held an opponent to zero shots on goal in a period this post season
-Caledonia has out-shot an opponent(Pelham) 40-3 in a period this post season
-Caledonia has fired 104 shots on goal in a game this post season
-Caledonia has only been held to fewer than 30 shots once this post season(27)
-Caledonia has recorded 40 shots on goal or more in 13 of 16 games this post season

The comparable stats(playoff) between these two teams:

Players with 10 or more goals:

Caledonia- 4
London- 1

Players with 10 or more assists:

Caledonia- 10
London- 6

Players with 10 or more points:

Caledonia- 12
London- 11

Also keep in mind that London has played 7 more games than Caledonia.

But Caledonia still has way better numbers...
:smt017

Caledonia has scored 37 more goals than London, and they've allowed 40 less goals than London.

There's my preview, prediction...And the numbers. Go Caledonia! :-D :smt033 :smt077 :smt029 :smt083
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Scott Holland's preview on Local Sports Report:
http://localsportsreport.com/gojhl/2016 ... inals-set/
rhinomark50

Post by rhinomark50 »

Honestly I don't think that anyone could sanely predict London winning the series. There's no doubt what the outcome is going to be.
Sunnydays

Post by Sunnydays »

three dog night wrote:If London goalie remains hot I wonder how Caledonia will do on the big ice in London time will tell . I hope it a seven game series I give Caledonia the edge.

Waterloos ice is big too
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Cali looks even better on a bigger if surface. Makes them even more deadly because of their speed. You can't give any of the guys that much room on the ice so it will be hard for London at home because their gonna have to close the gap without commuting too much. I seriously hope this is a great series. I don't see any way that the corvairs won this in 4 unless London goalie had a breakdown
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Regardless of who wins, history will be made. If the highly favoured Corvair$ meet expectations, they will be the first team ever to win 3 consecutive Sutherland Cups and the last team to win the GO title with a roster comprised overwhelmingly of 20-year-olds and former OHL overagers -- thanks to next year's rule changes that will begin to harness the corrupt recruiting practices demonstrated by the Corvair$ this past season. If the underdog Nationals win, they'll be the first Sutherland Cup champions that had to defeat a Jr A team to win their Jr B league title. I wish good luck to the players on both teams but will be cheering for the club with the best goaltender in the league, hands down. Go, London, go.
GojhlFan74

Post by GojhlFan74 »

Qwerty is so bitter hahaha.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

GojhlFan74 wrote:Qwerty is so bitter hahaha.
I know... On and on about the 20 year olds... YAWN! :roll: :smt117 :smt120
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Qwerty wrote:Regardless of who wins, history will be made. If the highly favoured Corvair$ meet expectations, they will be the first team ever to win 3 consecutive Sutherland Cups and the last team to win the GO title with a roster comprised overwhelmingly of 20-year-olds and former OHL overagers -- thanks to next year's rule changes that will begin to harness the corrupt recruiting practices demonstrated by the Corvair$ this past season. If the underdog Nationals win, they'll be the first Sutherland Cup champions that had to defeat a Jr A team to win their Jr B league title. I wish good luck to the players on both teams but will be cheering for the club with the best goaltender in the league, hands down. Go, London, go.
The only thing corrupt is this B.S. being spewed by the haters, and those who are jealous.

I've noticed how you look for any angle you can in an attempt to make Caledonia look like cheaters... It was comical at first... But now it's just down right hilarious. :lol: :lol:

How many 20 year olds were on the Sutherland Cup winning teams between 1998-2012??? Yup, nobody wants to talk about that, or the fact that this league's rules were so pathetic in the first place to allow these things to happen. First team to defeat a Jr.A team...Sure! :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

BTW: I can't wait to hear all the whining about the 19 year olds, and how talented Caledonia's 18 year olds are next season. :smt035 :smt082 :smt023
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Port hockey1 wrote:
Qwerty wrote:Regardless of who wins, history will be made. If the highly favoured Corvair$ meet expectations, they will be the first team ever to win 3 consecutive Sutherland Cups and the last team to win the GO title with a roster comprised overwhelmingly of 20-year-olds and former OHL overagers -- thanks to next year's rule changes that will begin to harness the corrupt recruiting practices demonstrated by the Corvair$ this past season. If the underdog Nationals win, they'll be the first Sutherland Cup champions that had to defeat a Jr A team to win their Jr B league title. I wish good luck to the players on both teams but will be cheering for the club with the best goaltender in the league, hands down. Go, London, go.
The only thing corrupt is this B.S. being spewed by the haters, and those who are jealous.

I've noticed how you look for any angle you can in an attempt to make Caledonia look like cheaters... It was comical at first... But now it's just down right hilarious. :lol: :lol:

How many 20 year olds were on the Sutherland Cup winning teams between 1998-2012??? Yup, nobody wants to talk about that, or the fact that this league's rules were so pathetic in the first place to allow these things to happen. First team to defeat a Jr.A team...Sure! :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

BTW: I can't wait to hear all the whining about the 19 year olds, and how talented Caledonia's 18 year olds are next season. :smt035 :smt082 :smt023
You still don't fu***** get it.

"league's rules are pathetic" really? So the NHL must have been pathetic for ever allowing players to play without helmets. The AHL must have been pathetic for allowing teams to load up with NHL washed up vets. Time changes things and rules are changed to reflect the evolution of the game. This is one case. Period.

Two, I'd love to see Caledonia with a supremely talented team of 18 year olds, like I know Brian and his group can produce.

So go shove it up your ass.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

What ILuvHackey said... ditto. :smt023
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Port, you asked: "How many 20 year olds were on the Sutherland Cup winning teams between 1998-2012???"

I don't know. Why don't you go do the research and let us all know. My bet is none had as many and none had anywhere near as many OHLers as the Mighty 2016 Corvair$.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

My 2016 Sutherland Cup prediction - Caledonia in 4. My 2017 Sutherland Cup prediction - Caledonia in 4.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

London is doing a fan bus for Game 1.

Cost of the bus is $20/person. Please email Shannon Simmons at ruralrootshs@yahoo.com if you are interested. We must know ASAP for numbers. Room for 56.

The schedule has been released too.

Thurs. April 28 in Caledonia
Sat. April 30 in London
Sun. May 1 in Caledonia
Mon. May 2 in London
Wed. May 4 in Caledonia
Fri. May 6 in London
Sat. May 7 in Caledonia

All games are at 7:30
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

ILuvHackey wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:

You still don't fu***** get it.

"league's rules are pathetic" really? So the NHL must have been pathetic for ever allowing players to play without helmets. The AHL must have been pathetic for allowing teams to load up with NHL washed up vets. Time changes things and rules are changed to reflect the evolution of the game. This is one case. Period.

Two, I'd love to see Caledonia with a supremely talented team of 18 year olds, like I know Brian and his group can produce.

So go shove it up your ass.
Dude... Go shove it up your own rear end! You don't get it.... I have my opinions, just like you have yours. Go play in traffic, DH :smt098
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Qwerty wrote:Port, you asked: "How many 20 year olds were on the Sutherland Cup winning teams between 1998-2012???"

I don't know. Why don't you go do the research and let us all know. My bet is none had as many and none had anywhere near as many OHLers as the Mighty 2016 Corvair$.
You'd be wrong. I remember Niagara Falls teams with 14-16 kids in their final year of hockey. You look it up, you're the one obsessed over how many of them teams have. :wink:
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

Marcie wrote:My 2016 Sutherland Cup prediction - Caledonia in 4. My 2017 Sutherland Cup prediction - Caledonia in 4.
Caledonia in six in 2016 out in the second round in 2017
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Let see we have a JR-A team playing a JR-B team playing for the Sutherland Cup. Caledonia has 20 players that are 19 and 20 year olds.
London has 14 players that are 19 and 20 year olds.
We have a JR-B team playing a JR-C team for the Schmalz Cup.
Ary has 20 players that are 19,20 and 21 year olds.
Port Hope has 9 players that are 19, 20 and 21 year olds.
Trenton won the Buckland Cup Loading up on 19 and 20 year olds total of 16. Compare to Georgetown that had 6 total 19 and 20 year olds.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Marcie wrote:My 2016 Sutherland Cup prediction - Caledonia in 4. My 2017 Sutherland Cup prediction - Caledonia in 4.
Finally someone making some sense on here. Gutsy call but I like it.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Port hockey1 wrote:
GojhlFan74 wrote:Qwerty is so bitter hahaha.
I know... On and on about the 20 year olds... YAWN! :roll: :smt117 :smt120
I thought he was going to stop talking about that a month ago. At least thats want he said your right the same old thing over and over.
Least RocketGirl made a a truce with Caledonia. A good read and she still stands up to her own opinions. Nothing but respect for her.
Last edited by Caledonia Fan on Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

But the Corvairs did not appreciate my truce. I heard something about that I'd made it all about me. At least I extended the olive branch. I'll be so glad when this season is over with by next weekend and all of this arguing and bickering will be water under the bridge.
Queen of the GOJHL

Blades

Post by Blades »

Qwerty wrote:Port, you asked: "How many 20 year olds were on the Sutherland Cup winning teams between 1998-2012???"

That's a good question Qwerty and since I was with the Sarnia Blast the season they won it all, I thought I'd do a little research. I have to confess it wasn't as easy as I'd like and that I couldn't account for four of the players (Nick Malina, Jeff Sauve, Andrew DiMaria -- who was an AP for most of the season, Allen Symeonakis). As for the others, here is what I found
1981 born - 20 year old = three
Matt Mahrle, Tom Briggs and Mike Fleming
1982 born - 19 year old = 2
Bill Rochefort, Chandon Hill
1983 born - 18 years old = 7
Chris Abbott, Cam Abbott, Don Jaeger, Brad Smulders, Scott Talbot, Steve Bryce, Dominik Rozman
1984 born - 17 years old = two
Kyle Hurlock, Steve Haddon
1985 born - 17 years old = 3
Ken Bernard, Jason Anderson, Shawn Futers
1986 born - 16 years old = 1
Kole Bryce
=======================================================================
So here we have a team that wasn't mostly 20 year olds. It was mostly 18 year olds with 5 players older and 6 players younger. Kinda answers the question of teams who win the Suthie loads up on 20 year olds. Regardless, it was a sweet team to watch that season.
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Caledonia Fan wrote: Least RocketGirl made a a truce with Caledonia. A good read and she still stands up to her own opinions. Nothing but respect for her.
I didn't see that, but gotta respect that. :)
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

This is hilarious...nobody giving London the respect to even win 2, they're 11-1 at home...holy crap you guys think the golden horseshit is that strong? Waterloo almost beat Caledonia once in their rink, which is embarrassing in itself..Stratford killed Waterloo....London killed Stratford...Toss your numbers out the window because when you get to play Pelham of course you're going to be statistical all-stars...see Stratfords' top line is right behind covairs top line in scoring leaders and they're shining the clubs up for a round this weekend...Here are your numbers, Londons' beat a #1 seed, #2 seed, #3 seed and #7 seed..who have the covairs beat? That's what I thought...starts Thursday, don't book the parade for Tuesday.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

cpt obvious wrote:This is hilarious...nobody giving London the respect to even win 2, they're 11-1 at home...holy crap you guys think the golden horseshit is that strong? Waterloo almost beat Caledonia once in their rink, which is embarrassing in itself..Stratford killed Waterloo....London killed Stratford...Toss your numbers out the window because when you get to play Pelham of course you're going to be statistical all-stars...see Stratfords' top line is right behind covairs top line in scoring leaders and they're shining the clubs up for a round this weekend...Here are your numbers, Londons' beat a #1 seed, #2 seed, #3 seed and #7 seed..who have the covairs beat? That's what I thought...starts Thursday, don't book the parade for Tuesday.
To be completely honest... If London gives it everything, and I mean everything... They have an outside chance of making this a 7 game series.

They did take Leamington & Stratford out, so they know what they're capable of. But they can't take penalties, it will burn them fast. If Hughes keeps playing calm like he has been... Anything's possible.

But I stand by my prediction. This is good for London... After reading these posts they can see that they have nothing to lose and that all of the pressure is on Caledonia to get it done.

Nobody giving them a fighting chance... I don't know about them, but that would certainly drive me to prove everyone wrong.

Just some unbiased thoughts. :)

BTW: London hardly killed Stratford, their goalie won that series for them! And you'll see what the Golden Horseshoe is made of soon enough. :wink:

And you're right... I'm going to calculate the Caledonia stats without counting the points their players had in the Pelham series... That should tell the tale of how powerful they are.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Cpt. Obviously you are blind to watching other divisions. If you saw how Waterloo played you would have seen a difference. I went to almost every game in both the Stratford Waterloo and Caledonia Waterloo series and Waterloo played horrible against Stratford. They even played their backup for a game. Datx couldn't save a beach ball against Stratford, defence wouldn't stop pinching, forwards taking stupid penalties. Against Caledonia it was a whole new team. They played their heart out. They showed why they swept the number 3 team and beat the number 1 team in 5 games. When I saw London to play they didn't look to great. Great goalie and decent defence but nothing special on forward. That trottier line that everybody keeps taking about certainly didn't impress me. If they want to win against Cali their gonna have to step up their play. Stratford outshot them every game I believe. You let that happen against Cali and your gonna pay. London also takes stupid penalties. That's gonna kill them against Cali. I still think the St kitts goalie was about the same maybe even better than londons. Both are great though. I say Cali in 5
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Port, your response to the good Captain is on the money. You must have eased up a little on the ganja when you were writing that. :wink:

London has an outside chance of making this a good series but it will take everything they've got and the Corvair$ will need to have some off games. Penalties will hurt London far worse than Cali as the CCs seem as dangerous short-handed as they are even strength. The only advantages I give the Nationals is goaltending and the magic that can happen when a team is discounted as a lost cause underdog. I'm reminded of what they did to Chatham last year and the fact they were not favorites against Flyers or Cullitons this year. There were many who thought they would fail against LaSalle this year, too.

Last thing, Port; I checked and the most 20 yr olds Niagara ever carried was in 2012 - 13 in total, including one APJ.