Sutherland Cup Format

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

Sutherland Cup Format

Post by RocketGirl »

Interesting editorial from Cory Smith of the Stratford Beacon Herald about the current Sutherland Cup format and how maybe they should go back to the old format, with the round robin, or look at making 4 Conferences, or 2 as has been floated around here.

http://www.stratfordbeaconherald.com/20 ... o-be-fixed
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Qwerty

Re: Sutherland Cup Format

Post by Qwerty »

Good read. Thanks for posting, RG. Have to agree with Mr. Smith. The league's in a tough spot to figure out the best format for the Sutherland but rewarding teams with a second chance just doesn't feel right.

I cringe to imagine what the score will be in tonight's game, but hope to be surprised. No, make that amazed.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Qwerty wrote:Good read. Thanks for posting, RG. Have to agree with Mr. Smith. The league's in a tough spot to figure out the best format for the Sutherland but rewarding teams with a second chance just doesn't feel right.

I cringe to imagine what the score will be in tonight's game, but hope to be surprised. No, make that amazed.
I guess you were amazed... :lol: :mrgreen:

I think we need two conferences, problem solved! :)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:Interesting editorial from Cory Smith of the Stratford Beacon Herald about the current Sutherland Cup format and how maybe they should go back to the old format, with the round robin, or look at making 4 Conferences, or 2 as has been floated around here.

I'll say its interesting... The author shares my opinion that Waterloo has no business being here. But what do we know... 8)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Here's how I see it:

A) Two conferences with the top 8 in each conference making the playoffs.

B) Four divisions, two in each conference. The top three teams from each division makes the playoffs, with each conference sending two additional wildcards.(Similar to the NHL format)
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Port, I'd say I am surprised the score wasn't worse. It would take a Waterloo win to amaze me. Good for the Siskins to emerge with a respectable score. A couple pp goals by Pawley and an empty netter. Good luck to the underdogs in game 2 on their home ice. Hope it helps them narrow the margin, but not putting any money on it.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Something along those lines, Port, makes sense. Not all teams should make the post-season. Never been a fan of wild cards. As soon as you need to get a calculator out to determine who's in and who's out, you run into problems and controversy.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Qwerty game 2 is In Cali again
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Missed that Cali. Thanks. The other series have always alternated. Don't think that bodes well for Waterloo getting back into the series.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Yea it's weird that it doesn't go back and forth
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

I am good with any format that doesn't include round robins. Wild would prevent a team from only making it in by being in a weak pool.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

I was also thinking about what port said. Having 2 conferences and 4 divisions. 3 divisions with 7 one with 6. Top 4 teams in each play down like in the NHL. Ideas for divisions would be something along the lines of:
Niagra division:
St kitts
Thorold
Pelham
Fort Erie
Niagra Falls
Well and
Buffalo (if they return)

Southern division (terrible name I know):
Cali
Ancaster
Brantford
Cambridge
Guelph
Elmira

Mid west division:
Kitchener
Waterloo
Brampton
Listowel
Stratford
St Mary's
London

Western division:
Leamington
Lasalle
Strathroy
Chatam
Lambton shores
Sarnia
St Thomas

Anybody else think this could work
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Cali vairs! wrote:I was also thinking about what port said. Having 2 conferences and 4 divisions. 3 divisions with 7 one with 6. Top 4 teams in each play down like in the NHL. Ideas for divisions would be something along the lines of:
Niagra division:
St kitts
Thorold
Pelham
Fort Erie
Niagra Falls
Well and
Buffalo (if they return)

Cali
Ancaster
Brantford
Cambridge
Guelph
Elmira

Mid west division:
Kitchener
Waterloo
Brampton
Listowel
Stratford
St Mary's
London

Western division:
Leamington
Lasalle
Strathroy
Chatam
Lambton shores
Sarnia
St Thomas

Perfect! The only thing I'd change is, top three teams from each division makes the playoffs. Then the two teams with the next best records get in(between the two divisions).

And we'd need to name the two Conferences. :D
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Port hockey1 wrote:
RocketGirl wrote:Interesting editorial from Cory Smith of the Stratford Beacon Herald about the current Sutherland Cup format and how maybe they should go back to the old format, with the round robin, or look at making 4 Conferences, or 2 as has been floated around here.

I'll say its interesting... The author shares my opinion that Waterloo has no business being here. But what do we know... 8)
For a guy who goes on and on about Caledonia building a winner "within the current rules" to say Waterloo doesn't deserve to be here is hilarious. They're here within the rules.

Guess it only matters when it's Caledonia...
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

Cali vairs! wrote:I was also thinking about what port said. Having 2 conferences and 4 divisions. 3 divisions with 7 one with 6. Top 4 teams in each play down like in the NHL. Ideas for divisions would be something along the lines of:
Niagra division:
St kitts
Thorold
Pelham
Fort Erie
Niagra Falls
Well and
Buffalo (if they return)

Cali
Ancaster
Brantford
Cambridge
Guelph
Elmira

Mid west division:
Kitchener
Waterloo
Brampton
Listowel
Stratford
St Mary's
London

Western division:
Leamington
Lasalle
Strathroy
Chatam
Lambton shores
Sarnia
St Thomas

Not that style, heck from London to Brampton is 172 KM and Brampton to LaSalle is 356 KM
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

I'm not saying that's would have To be the divisions but it's the format
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

ILuvHackey wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:

For a guy who goes on and on about Caledonia building a winner "within the current rules" to say Waterloo doesn't deserve to be here is hilarious. They're here within the rules.

Guess it only matters when it's Caledonia...
If you don't get what I meant... I'm not wasting my time explaining... :roll:
Vairs61

Post by Vairs61 »

I would like to see the GOJHL have two divisions A and B. The top 14 teams in the A and bottom 13 in the B. The bottom 2 teams in the A division at the end of the reg season drop down to B division the next year and top two teams after the playoffs in B move up.
Each division would have top 8 make playoffs. But would not play each other.
It's the European soccer concept and allows teams to compete with teams on similar levels. The top teams play against each other and the smaller weaker teams play against each other.

The teams would play each team 4 times, 2 home 2 away. That would make a 52 game A division and 48 game B division schedule. Travel would be more than it is now, but other leagues across the country would love to have this many teams within 400km of each other.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Vairs61 wrote:I would like to see the GOJHL have two divisions A and B. The top 14 teams in the A and bottom 13 in the B. The bottom 2 teams in the A division at the end of the reg season drop down to B division the next year and top two teams after the playoffs in B move up.
Each division would have top 8 make playoffs. But would not play each other.
It's the European soccer concept and allows teams to compete with teams on similar levels. The top teams play against each other and the smaller weaker teams play against each other.

The teams would play each team 4 times, 2 home 2 away. That would make a 52 game A division and 48 game B division schedule. Travel would be more than it is now, but other leagues across the country would love to have this many teams within 400km of each other.
I love your idea!!!! :smt023 :smt023 :smt023
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

That would never ever work based on travel alone.
Vairs61

Post by Vairs61 »

I know some owners would not like that added expense of travel. But at some point the league must move forward and leave the weak behind that can't keep up. There is Jr C that would suit some teams better, where travel would be reduced. Don't let these owners hold the rest from moving forward!
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

I think by doing this it adds travel to some teams but limits its for others. In the niagra division it would be 10 mins for everybody and nobody would have to drive a hour to Cali or Ancaster. In the other divisions the travel is really limited to 1 hour and a half. Even switch Brampton with Elmira. Yes their is more traveling in the playoffs but if that's what it takes for more competition it is kinda worth it
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

I dis agree with the article not sure if Waterloo deserve to be there on regular season record but they did show up in the playoffs. Both the Falcons two seasons ago and La Salle last season deserve the wild card spots and anything better than the round robin . I hope the league does go to a two or four divisions soon.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Vairs61 wrote:I know some owners would not like that added expense of travel. But at some point the league must move forward and leave the weak behind that can't keep up. There is Jr C that would suit some teams better, where travel would be reduced. Don't let these owners hold the rest from moving forward!
Got nothing to do with "weak teams" and leaving them behind.

In the GOJHL, most teams just squeak by. Most players pay very little (I've heard in the 750-1250 range depending on team - though I've heard some teams don't charge players a dime) for a season of play. In the OJ, most players pay 6, 7 and upwards of 11 THOUSAND dollars. All that and most teams play very close (mostly in Toronto) with the furthest drives being about 2 hours. (based on the above suggestion, Leamington/LaSalle would be 3-4 hour trips away from the Niagara area teams, Brampton, Guelph, Listowel, etc.)

You can see how our league is at a disadvantage in the funding - especially with so many teams in the league being community-owned and funded versus private ownership with deep pockets.

It's not feasible.

Could the league go to pay-to-play? Sure, but as a Jr. B league it would lose any chance of recruiting versus the OJ. Once the league gets Jr. A status (and I think it's coming in the next few years) it might be something to look at. For now? I don't see it.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Would be a long drive for post season last 2 series. But isn't that what it could he anyway.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

In the regular season you would play mostly your division with a few games against the other division in your conference. Hopefully it somewhat limits the travelling. I think it would be better for the league.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Read what he wrote -- A and B division would be based on who was better. One year the A division could have St Catharines and LaSalle in the same division and they'd have to play each other 4 times. That's crazy.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

I discarded that idea as soon as I read it. I was talking about the travel in the idea o suggested
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

three dog night

Post by three dog night »

The only change is to go to two or four divisions.