Stats primer for the 2016 Sutherland Cup* (aka, The Asterisk Series)

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

Re: Stats primer for the 2016 Sutherland Cup* (aka, The Asterisk Series)

Post by Port hockey1 »

number 17 wrote:Mrs. Ratchford it would be interesting for the rest of us to know how much Todd is being paid to play for the Corvairs? Or what might Pawley be getting financially to play his last season of eligibility. It's not close to a level playing field. It's not about scouting it's about ownership and dollars under the table, teams like Caledonia ruin the competitive fairness of the league. Eventually they destroy the meaning of true competition and rules have to be made to close loopholes.Scouting in Caledonia equates to dollars being handed out, that's why there's an asterisk. Yes, there will always be some financial shenanigans but the ownership in Caledonia has taken it to a new level.
If that's the case, there's many teams in this league with an Asterisk. :roll:
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

"They aren't ruining it for other people In my mind. Obviously you haven't see most of the teams play us. It makes other teams strive and play as hard as they can to beat us..."

Cali vairs, you continue to crack me up! Good one!
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Go west maybe you should watch the games. If this ruins it for you guys then you might want to stop watching the league because you obviously don't have the passion. Did you watch the games when niagra falls and Fort Erie beat us. They were the happiest people on the world. It makes kid works harder
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

Cali vairs thanks for the unsolicited advise but I can assure you that I'm always watching.

Don't shoot the messenger but from what I understand Caledonia is the most despised team in the league so of course anyone would be happy to beat them.
Jean Ratchford

Post by Jean Ratchford »

Doesn't matter what I say because some are merely interested in the oh so wonderful "can't wait to hear" kind of rink rumors. Believe what you want to convince yourself of. The fact is Caledonia has and will continue to be sucessful because they are WINNERS dispite a limit on 20 yr olds next year.
number 17

Post by number 17 »

The ASTERISK is much, much, larger in Caledonia, hockey mom still hasn't replied would be nice to hear a number, Bullard's financial benefits I'm told are in 6 figures.
Jean Ratchford

Post by Jean Ratchford »

I replied you just don't want to listen
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

What the hell does Bullards salary have to do with what players are compensated. Bullard earns every cent they pay him. Coaching the Corvairs is only part of what his responsibilities are.
Many of the good coaches in the GOJHL are well compensated for what they do and why shouldn't they be.
They put in many hours at the rink and on the road , 52 weeks a year. :smt045 :smt045
HockeyTalk21

Post by HockeyTalk21 »

number 17 wrote:The ASTERISK is much, much, larger in Caledonia, hockey mom still hasn't replied would be nice to hear a number, Bullard's financial benefits I'm told are in 6 figures.
First off leave the mom alone! She did answer you!
BeenThereDoneThat wrote:What the hell does Bullards salary have to do with what players are compensated. Bullard earns every cent they pay him. Coaching the Corvairs is only part of what his responsibilities are.
Many of the good coaches in the GOJHL are well compensated for what they do and why shouldn't they be.
They put in many hours at the rink and on the road , 52 weeks a year. :smt045 :smt045
I agree. Many coaches make money for the dedication and work they put in! Even Pelhams head coach made $$ and got free housing !
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Is the GOJHL a development league? Yes. The GOJHL primarily wants to develop players for the OHL, NCAA D1, NCAA D3 and CIS. (Don't give me bull about developing for the OJ - the league is working towards Jr. A status and consistently hates that OJ teams pick players from their rosters.)

The NHL is the premier hockey league, correct? It uses the AHL as it's primary development league, correct?

For years the AHL became a league filled with over-the-hill has-been NHL'ers to finish their careers, AHL-lifers and most teams didn't really like sending their top prospects there - partly to do with worry over kids being run by goons, and partly because it really wasn't a development league. The AHL and NHL noticed - they made changes within the past few years, and now we are seeing it used more and more to develop, which in turn has made the hockey BETTER. Look at this year's Toronto Marlies - the league's top team, mostly filled with 1st and 2nd year pro players, mostly 19-early 20's, sprinkled with a couple key veterans in place.

The AHL has new rules that have made this possible.

What is the AHL's development rule?

In the AHL, player development is a top priority. The American Hockey League and the Professional Hockey Players' Association have the following development rule in place:

Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a game, at least 13 must be qualified as "development players." Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games. All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season.

Do we go and cry for those guys who can't get AHL deals, because the league focuses on the Nylanders, Rantanens, Griffiths (former GOJHL'er) and Shinkaruks of the world? No. We know that it's made the AHL better, and is better helping the NHL, which is the ultimate goal.

I want to see more Scott Del Zottos, Nate Schnarrs, Kade Landrys and Tyler Walls.

The reason a rule like this has been put into place is to dissuade others from following in Caledonia's footsteps after this year. And I'm sure rules will be continued to tweek - including the 16 year old thing, which Caledonia is in favor of doing as well.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Iluvhackey, great and informative post. Caledonia management has stated they were in favour of a 16 year old requirement but I will believe it when I actually see them with 2 or 3 -16 year olds in their lineup. Talk is cheap, actions speak louder than words. :smt012 :smt012
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

BeenThereDoneThat wrote:Iluvhackey, great and informative post. Caledonia management has stated they were in favour of a 16 year old requirement but I will believe it when I actually see them with 2 or 3 -16 year olds in their lineup. Talk is cheap, actions speak louder than words. :smt012 :smt012
I agree with your last sentence... On that note, take a look at Caledonia's past rosters, there's a few 16 year olds, who've since developed into fine hockey players. The Murphy kid stands out as an example.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102