Stratford(2) vs London(3), Sutherland Cup Semifinal Playoff Thread, & Predictions

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

Re: Stratford(2) vs London(3), Sutherland Cup Semifinal Playoff Thread, & Predictions

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:Stratford has won numerous back to back Sutherland Cups, Cambridge has also won back to back Sutherlands, and I haven't seen them go to this extreme to try and get 3 in a row, so why is it now all of sudden this important?
Because they can... Why does it bother you? No rules were broken. All the whining makes the league look like a circus. A team does nothing wrong, and half the league's down their throats, including the leagues super-fan. :roll:
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
three dog night

Re: Stratford(2) vs London(3), Sutherland Cup Semifinal Playoff Thread, & Predictions

Post by three dog night »

He did not say Caledonia did any thing wrong just not right .
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

I dont think the argument is whether or not a team can go out and recruit 20 yr olds to come and play for the organization. If a team is successful in doing so then kudos to them. Thats what separates good executives from bad. The argument is how the covairs have recruited...by giving these players thousands and some tens of thousands of dollars to come play for the team...in the NCAA the program would be suspended for years for such recruitment tactics. Thats the unfair part, the ownership group is spending our cigarette money to recruit fringe ohl players. If they ran a solid program and players were going there for the experience, different story but the players arent going there because the covairs are a great organization..theyre going there because they are getting envelopes of cash left in their stalls for no apparent reason. Thats the truth of the matter. If Pelham wanted to spend that money then they would become the destination of choice..not because they know how to make a sound hockey decision or not. As someone mentioned it is the same in the Jr.C loop with Dorchester, fringe JrB players go there for the reward not experience or legacy.
And as Dorchester found out against Essex...maybe the covairs find out this season....money doesnt buy championships...I guess we will all find out soon enough.
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

Port hockey1 wrote:
RocketGirl wrote:Stratford has won numerous back to back Sutherland Cups, Cambridge has also won back to back Sutherlands, and I haven't seen them go to this extreme to try and get 3 in a row, so why is it now all of sudden this important?
Because they can... Why does it bother you? No rules were broken. All the whining makes the league look like a circus. A team does nothing wrong, and half the league's down their throats, including the leagues super-fan. :roll:
Rules are being broken Port..recruitment rules..compensation rules...and as Norwich found out...the OHA will find out and will come down on the covairs..and at that point their back to back to possibly back will be tarnished forever. It only takes one pissed off kid that didnt get as much money as the next player. Its only a matter of time.
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

And just to throw my prediction out there after being close on the western final...I am calling Nationals in 5. The "strafords fans will win them the series " predictions are the best, keep the insight coming.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Cpt obvious they are not paying the players to play. That is true. Coming from somebody who knows how they recruit. They are very smart about it.
The other reason some players come is the rewards they do get. Kenny is an amazing owner who cares about these players. He takes them out to great places all the time. He is likely the most generous owner (has the money to).
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

cpt obvious wrote:I dont think the argument is whether or not a team can go out and recruit 20 yr olds to come and play for the organization. If a team is successful in doing so then kudos to them. Thats what separates good executives from bad. The argument is how the covairs have recruited...by giving these players thousands and some tens of thousands of dollars to come play for the team...in the NCAA the program would be suspended for years for such recruitment tactics. Thats the unfair part, the ownership group is spending our cigarette money to recruit fringe ohl players. If they ran a solid program and players were going there for the experience, different story but the players arent going there because the covairs are a great organization..theyre going there because they are getting envelopes of cash left in their stalls for no apparent reason. Thats the truth of the matter. If Pelham wanted to spend that money then they would become the destination of choice..not because they know how to make a sound hockey decision or not. As someone mentioned it is the same in the Jr.C loop with Dorchester, fringe JrB players go there for the reward not experience or legacy.
And as Dorchester found out against Essex...maybe the covairs find out this season....money doesnt buy championships...I guess we will all find out soon enough.
Where are these dollar figures coming from anyways? It's well known that many teams in the league pays kids crazy g's to play for them. Why the double standard?

And Caledonia doesn't need to bribe these kids. They are all friends. In the OHL they had minimal roles on their teams and their passion for the game was diminishing. In Caledonia they get treated like champs, play for a winning team, and are now counted on once again to create plays and be shutdown defensemen.

I doubt these kids wan't thousands of dollars for the chance to play Jr.B in Caledonia...
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

cpt obvious wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:
Rules are being broken Port..recruitment rules..compensation rules...and as Norwich found out...the OHA will find out and will come down on the covairs..and at that point their back to back to possibly back will be tarnished forever. It only takes one pissed off kid that didnt get as much money as the next player. Its only a matter of time.
Again, where's the proof? Because from what I've heard these kids jump at the chance to play for the classiest organization in the GOJHL. Many teams break these rules, why the double standard?
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

cpt obvious, great post. You nailed it. The $'s are the real issue.

And Cali vairs, you're kidding, right?
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

You do realize what I said right. "Their smart about it". You can never say they pay their players to play. That's the key thing. Their is ways to get around paying them to play. I might off not of been clear on that. I won't go into details about it though
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

Cali vairs! wrote:Cpt obvious they are not paying the players to play. That is true. Coming from somebody who knows how they recruit. They are very smart about it.
The other reason some players come is the rewards they do get. Kenny is an amazing owner who cares about these players. He takes them out to great places all the time. He is likely the most generous owner (has the money to).
You clearly don't know what you are talking about. #62 received 10k to come and his car payments for the year..fact. This is known because of the cast offs that are playing on different teams, these players are telling their current teams the truth, thats why I said its only a matter of time before the OHA lowers the boom. Another fact, cast off player told his gm that he received an envelope in his stall with 1200 in it for reasons unannounced to him..just there for him to take home...You say the owner is generous and treats the players well..does he take them all on a cruise like the Leamington owner does? i see their players put it on social media year in year out...Thats treating your players well, not giving them money to show up, that just causes issues in the room. It will come out soon enough and what a story when it does..
Port you have no idea, so stop saying wheres the proof.
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

Cali vairs! wrote:You do realize what I said right. "Their smart about it". You can never say they pay their players to play. That's the key thing. Their is ways to get around paying them to play. I might off not of been clear on that. I won't go into details about it though
Being smart about is paying in cash not cheques...until one player takes his envelope to the OHA office..then its not smart at all.
There are rules regarding how much compensation you are allowed to give your players..covairs are not following the rules. It will come out.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

cpt obvious wrote:
Cali vairs! wrote:Cpt obvious they are not paying the players to play. That is true. Coming from somebody who knows how they recruit. They are very smart about it.
You clearly don't know what you are talking about. #62 received 10k to come and his car payments for the year..fact. This is known because of the cast offs that are playing on different teams, these players are telling their current teams the truth, thats why I said its only a matter of time before the OHA lowers the boom. Another fact, cast off player told his gm that he received an envelope in his stall with 1200 in it for reasons unannounced to him..just there for him to take home...You say the owner is generous and treats the players well..does he take them all on a cruise like the Leamington owner does? i see their players put it on social media year in year out...Thats treating your players well, not giving them money to show up, that just causes issues in the room. It will come out soon enough and what a story when it does..
Port you have no idea, so stop saying wheres the proof.
Apparently you have no idea. WHERE'S THE PROOF???

Yeah... Former players with axes to grind are very reliable sources. :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry Cpt... But if you believe everything former 19-20 year old players say... I've got some land to sell you in Florida. :P :lol:
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

cpt obvious wrote:
Cali vairs! wrote:You do realize what I said right. "Their smart about it". You can never say they pay their players to play. That's the key thing. Their is ways to get around paying them to play. I might off not of been clear on that. I won't go into details about it though
Being smart about is paying in cash not cheques...until one player takes his envelope to the OHA office..then its not smart at all.
There are rules regarding how much compensation you are allowed to give your players..covairs are not following the rules. It will come out.

You better hope these kids are telling these GM's the truth... Because you've made some very bold accusations here.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Again cot obvious your missing the point. I there getting their money for something else. It's basically for playing but nobody can prove it. It is all in cash not a cheque so maybe you should ask them again bud. Yea that's nice the GM took them on a cruise. Well the Cali GM took the team to Jamaica 2 years ago and is planning the Bahamas this year. He also took some to the raptors Friday as well as taking them to the keg. He does this multiple times throughout the year
MidWestFAN

Caledonia vs. David (game 1)

Post by MidWestFAN »

There's been lots of discussion about Waterloo and Caledonia being a David & Goliath matchup. It simply didn't look that way on Wednesday night in Caledonia. Shots on goal favour the Corvairs 38-32....but Waterloo outshot Caledonia in the third period 14 - 10. Where the Corvairs cashed in was on the PP. They went 3-for-3 while Waterloo missed on all 5 tries.

They've had lot of people tell them who they are and what they are incapable of doing. They likely stopped listening to their critics somewhere in mid February.

This is a group of young players that went from worst to almost first in the Cherrey Cup. With a dismal start to the season (tied with Cambridge for last spot in the Mid West), the Waterloo Siskins are bringing a new attitude to the rink each game. They certainly gave fans their ticket value on Wednesday night.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Maybe MidWestFAN should be move to the Mid West Forum. A great post, nice to here from differ people. We don't get to many Mid West fans.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Another good read from C. Scott Holland. Now that's how you write a preview.

http://localsportsreport.com/gojhl/2016 ... r-preview/
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

You gotta have the Beacon Herald's take on it.

http://www.stratfordbeaconherald.com/20 ... -semifinal

I completely forgot about Kotsovos when I was writing my preview.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

2-1 Stratford tonight with an empty net goal. Looks like Stratford outplayed London tonight and Hughes probably kept them in it... But I'm sure the game could've went either way, Brooks-Potts is a good goalie though.
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

Tough to hold on to a 1 to 0 lead in the third in Junior hockey esp on the road.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Predictions for tonight:

4-3 London, double OT, Adams sets up Trottier for the winner...

...If that happens, I'm buying a lottery ticket. :lol: :smt080
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Pretty close. Better buy that lottery ticket after all!
Last edited by Marcie on Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Ya. Damn hear spot on. Lol
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Unreal... :D :mrgreen:

Caught part of the game, London looked good on their ice.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Article about game 2 from the London Free Press:

http://www.lfpress.com/2016/04/18/londo ... -cullitons
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Port hockey1 wrote:This is the first and only time Caledonia has loaded up like this. We all know it's to try and set league history.

Funny how nobody cares about the Flyers landing Manchurek, or Waterloo getting C.Jean... Just two examples. It's because Caledonia found several great players. And most of them have played in the GOJHL at some point in the past.

The double standards are comical. So are yours... For someone who doesn't care... You sure took your shots at them on the OJHL forum.

What Caledonia has done is completely legal. What kind of journalist makes stuff up? :smt003
I had no idea going after a 97 who struggled in a dozen NAHL games is the same thing as a bunch of 95s with a ton of OHL experience.

Now it makes all the sense in the world....
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

You know what makes sense, ILuv... the Bob Marley avatar that Port has chosen to use to illustrate his forum profile. That somebody's smoking a lot of weed while posting on this forum is the only way you can explain some of the non-sense. The only way you could compare Waterloo (Jean) or Leamington (Manchurek) to Caledonia (Pawley, Fitzmorris, Hill, Maksimovitch, McCartney, Bauman, Zotti, Seguin, D Brown) would be if you're high.

Light up another one, brah :D :smt006
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Qwerty wrote:You know what makes sense, ILuv... the Bob Marley avatar that Port has chosen to use to illustrate his forum profile. That somebody's smoking a lot of weed while posting on this forum is the only way you can explain some of the non-sense. The only way you could compare Waterloo (Jean) or Leamington (Manchurek) to Caledonia (Pawley, Fitzmorris, Hill, Maksimovitch, McCartney, Bauman, Zotti, Seguin, D Brown) would be if you're high.

Light up another one, brah :D :smt006
I didn't look the kid up, was told he was a 95. I'd rather smoke some weed then drink that poison people call alcohol! 8) :smt033 :smt033