Conference Finals: Leamington(1) vs London(2), Playoff Thread & Predictions

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

Conference Finals: Leamington(1) vs London(2), Playoff Thread & Predictions

Post by Port hockey1 »

London in 7
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
flyers2011

Re: Conference Finals: Leamington(1) vs London(2), Playoff Thread & Predictions

Post by flyers2011 »

3rd of 4th straight year these 2 have met in the playoffs. Both teams are solid and have great goaltending. This is what the Conference Championship should be the 2 best teams.

I will go with Leamington in 6 is a hard fought battle.
End of a era in Leamington
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

Leamington in five.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

This could be the best series of the GO post-season, certainly in the west and perhaps in any division. It's a 1-2 match-up where the #2 Nats were the better team in head-to-head play during the regular season (3-2-1). All games were low-scoring affairs, including an epic 0-0 tie in their first meeting of the season. London won the last two reg season games vs Leamington so should enter the series with the confidence knowing that the Flyers are beatable despite the defending champs having home ice advantage. The Nats were knocked out of the 2015 play-offs by Leamington so the veteran players who were on last year's club should be thinking they have a score to settle. Both teams have a relatively equal mix of 20-year-old vets and younger talent, both teams skate on big home ice rinks, and both teams bring a good balance of offensive power, defensive discipline and goaltenders who can steal games. The Flyers are prone to high PIMs (second only to the Corvairs in reg season and second only to Niagara in post-season) which could be their Achilles heal vs Nats, who are a tougher, more disciplined team. Like most close games/series, special teams and goaltending will be huge. Will be surprising if this goes any less than 6 games. Edge goes to London who may be notional underdogs but are the better team if they bring their A game.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

I disagree, im not sure how you say London is the better team if they bring there A game. Leamington has an edge on goaltending and Defence giving up 60 less goals then London did. With the Flyers being basically healthy with no key injuries other then Phibbs possibily I give the edge to the Flyers. In the Playoffs Leamington has been shorthanded 62 times and London 61 times. If London is smart they will need to stay out of the box the Flyers power play is at 40 percent in the playoffs including 16 for 39 41 percent against Chatham.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

I base my assessment largely on head-to-head play this past season where the numbers speak for themselves on who the better team is. On your defence/GA point, I'll give you that one, but that's where I say "if the Nats bring their A game." Flyers are a more consistent team, while the Nats can run hot and cold. But they've proven over the course of the regular season that they know how to play and beat the Flyers. Any way, I think we can agree on three points: special teams and goaltending will be key, and we should see some great tilts between two closely matched teams.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Qwerty wrote:I base my assessment largely on head-to-head play this past season where the numbers speak for themselves on who the better team is. On your defence/GA point, I'll give you that one, but that's where I say "if the Nats bring their A game." Flyers are a more consistent team, while the Nats can run hot and cold. But they've proven over the course of the regular season that they know how to play and beat the Flyers. Any way, I think we can agree on three points: special teams and goaltending will be key, and we should see some great tilts between two closely matched teams.

I just wanted to point out that the regular season means nothing now. It's good to use when trying to see how these two teams stack up, but that's about it.

I remember Port Colborne defeating Thorold 5 straight regular season meetings several years ago. Port Colborne went on to finish in 2nd place, and thought they had Thorold's number heading into their 2nd round playoff series.

After defeating them 6-2, 5-1, etc. in the regular season, we were swept by them in the playoffs, and struggled to get any offense together for the entire series.

I think you did a great assessment, but remember the playoffs are a different animal. :)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Agreed, Port. Alas, reg season stats is alls we gots with which to formulate our prognostications. Anything can happen and probably will.
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

flyers2011 wrote:If London is smart they will need to stay out of the box the Flyers power play is at 40 percent in the playoffs including 16 for 39 41 percent against Chatham.
With all due respect, going 41 percent against Chatham on the power play is not exactly a great feat.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Conference Final Preview

London won season series 3-2-1

Season Meetings:

London 0 Leamington 0
Leamington 2 London 5
London 3 Leamington 5
Leamington 3 London 1
London 2 Leamington 1
Leamington 3 London 5

How They Got Here:

Leamington swept St.Marys 4-0, and defeated Chatham 4-2
London defeated Strathroy 4-1, and LaSalle 4-2

Playoff Scoring Leaders:

Leamington:

M.Amante 10 Games- 3-15--18
M.Manchurek 9 Games- 5-9--14
S.Emerson 10 Games- 9-3--12
D.Elliott 10 Games- 4-8--12
L.Hogan 10 Games- 4-7--11

London:

J.Adams 11 Games- 3-10--13
A.Kemp 11 Games- 6-6--12
B.Trottier 11 Games- 5-7--12
T.Ferreira 11 Games- 3-9--12
T.Sehovic(D) 11 Games- 2-9--11

Top Goalies:

Leamington- T.Wall- 6-2, 1 Shutout, 2.37 GAA, .905 SV%

London- C.Hughes- 6-2, 2.61 GAA, .919 SV%

Team Playoff Stats:

Leamington- 61 goals for, 23 goals against, 276 penalty minutes, 3-2 at home, 5-0 on the road.

London- 43 goals for, 34 goals against, 252 penalty minutes, 5-1 at home, 3-2 on the road.

Team Injuries:

Leamington- Forward C.Moore missed their last game, and forward J.Urbanic has missed their last 4 games. Both players status are unkown. Defensemen Z.Parlette has missed their last two games and his status is also unknown.

London- Forward M.Bean has missed the last few games and his status is unkown. Forward J.Warren hasn't played in the post season and people are saying his season could be over. Defensemen S.Harris has been out since the 1st round. His situation is unkown.

A Little Bit About These Teams:

Leamington is a really well coached team. They play a great defensive system and they move the puck up very well. They have a great power play and kill penalty's well too. They are 4 lines deep but feature a pretty good top unit. They are also very deep on defense. Their rookie goalie has been outstanding but struggled a bit early in the last series. London will need to get pucks to the net and screen him early in this series to be successful. Leamington plays a very physical game and players sometimes cross the line. The officials have eased off some in the playoffs, but undisciplined penalties have still been a bit of a problem at times for the Flyers.

London is another well coached team. They also feature good team depth and have a solid top line. They have a good group of defensemen, but could probably really use the injured Harris back there. They play a great defensive game and are more than capable of skating with the big boys. Both teams have had the pressure turned up on them at times in the 2nd round, so that will make this series that much more interesting.

I see this series coming down to two things. Goaltending, and special teams. For some reason I see London coming out on top in 7 games. The West & Golden Horseshoe are both set to have epic Conference finals.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

I hope that the loser of this series is the wild card. It sounds like both of these teams are very good teams. It would be nice to see some former GH faces that are on the London team (escpeciallt Dorian). From what I hear and saw early in the year (a lot has changed) London has a team that can compete against any team in the league. Pesky team that never gives up. Leamington is a very fast team that has a great goalie. I hope London wins but I think it will take them at least 6 games
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Leamington - 6
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

I think Leamington wins this in 6 on coaching and consistent play. No wild card for the West this season, it will go to the Midwest runner up.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Some good analyses here; thanks to those who took the time to share them. Ogie raises two other key factors besides special teams and goaltending. Leadership will also be key... the team with the most boys who step up their games with sheer hustle, grit, determination and sacrifice will win. These teams are pretty much a wash when it comes to talent, so it will be the club that wants it more that will get the hardware.
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

I'm going to go out on a limb here.....London wins in 5 based on the fact they have more pure skill than Leamington does. Leamington can't intimidate and agitate the Nats like they have been able to thus far in the post season.
Either way we as fans are in for a heck of a series, sit back and grab some popcorn folks.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Game 1 thursday march 31 in leamington 7:10
Game 2 saturday april 2nd in london 7:30
Game 3 sunday april 3rd in leamington 7:10
Game 4 monday april 4th in london 8:30
Game 5 thursday april 7th in leamington 7:10
Game 6 saturday april 9th in london 7:30
Game 7 sunday april 10th in leamington 7:10
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

im going with london in 6 after all chatham did manage to beat leamington twice in there home rink this should be a great series to bad i probably wont be able to make it to either rink to see any of this series.
co founder of the pylon chant!!!!!!
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Scott Holland's Conference Finals Preview on Local Sports Report.
http://localsportsreport.com/gojhl/2016 ... ce-finals/
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the game tonight. Going to be a series to remember. :)
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

London loss hard to swallow in game one

The Flyers controlled play in the 1st period, but it should've been tied after one. A misplay behind the London net led to Manchurek scoring the Flyers 2nd goal of the period. 2-1 would end up being the final. Hard loss to swallow for London. Felt bad for their goalie.

London's goalie kept them in this one with several spectacular saves, most in the 1st period. London played a little better in the 2nd, but the 3rd was their best period. London will likely look better in game 2.

Full credit to the Flyers. They follow their game plan really well. London showed that they can skate with them when they give it everything they have. This should be a great series! Wall made several big saves in the 3rd to keep his team ahead.

I thought the officiating was kinda iffy tonight.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Not a bad start to the series, I thought Leamington controlled a lot of the game which reflected the huge shot advantage, The game tonight lacked the intensity of the Chatham vs Leamington games and honestly I found it boring at times. At this time of year ill take a win no matter how it happens, 1 down 3 to go.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Shots tell the tale. Nats offense showed up with its B game. Score could have been much worse if not for two posts and strong goaltending from Hughes. But it's a 7 game series. Nats will rebound in game 2.
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

How can London win tonight on just 15 shots,
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

three dog night wrote:How can London win tonight on just 15 shots,
They have a great goalie.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

One of the worst games ive seen this year. Neither team lookes good. The positive thing i guess would be the flyers played that bad and only lost 4-3 and only gave up 15 shots. I think London feels very fortunate to get the win. But they all count the same.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

People around me, from London and Leamington, thought it was a great game. As predicted, goaltending and special teams have been the difference. Hughes has let 5 by on 68 shots, while Wall has let 5 by on 36 shots. London's PK has been better than Flyers PP, allowing only 1 goal on the man advantage. The 41% PP Flyers achieved vs Maroons has evaporated. Both game-winning goals have been flukes where the tender was not paying attention so there hasn't been a really decisive win yet. Leamington is getting more pucks to the net and managing to stay out of the box better than Nats. I predict that's about to change. You can see emotions for the Flyers are starting to boil. They're starting to run guys and throw more late and high hits. Gagnon was ejected for this last night and the refs missed a few others. They won't miss them all, and when the Flyers start parading to the box the shot counts going to start evening out.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I thought it was a good game last night. I was happy to see London hang on for the win to tie it at 1. I'll be watching the next 2 games on Pointstreak. Not sure what's going to come from this 3 in 3, but we'll see.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.