Conference Finals: Leamington(1) vs London(2), Playoff Thread & Predictions

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

flyers2011

Re: Conference Finals: Leamington(1) vs London(2), Playoff Thread & Predictions

Post by flyers2011 »

I have found the first 2 games boring for the most part, even the London goalie said the first periods last night were boring. I think the problem with the Flyers intensity is they went from playing a HUGE rival against Chatham where it was intense every single minute of each game to playing London who is good obviously but its not as intense rivalary. If Leamington starts playing with that intensity they will be fine. Another thing I have noticed over the years the Western Fair Sports Complex is a great arena but it has to be one of the quietest Junior B arena's I have ever been in, quite different from Chatham Memorial
End of a era in Leamington
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Gangnon out 2 games.(suspended)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

London played good in the first period tonight. They pressed in the 3rd period too. But Leamington is a well coached team. They don't make many mistakes, and when they do London needs to get the bounces to capitalize on them. London's power play looked good tonight, Leamington's goalie was like a rock. Every time London's top line got something going they were stopped by a hot Flyers goalie.

London's goalie came up big several times tonight, he's been solid and kept them in it tonight. The Flyers have a really good power play. Stopping their top unit is no easy task, but I thought the London penalty kill was pretty good tonight.

The difference tonight was work ethic. Leamington had their eye's on the prize every shift. London had a few passengers tonight.

Both teams have solid depth, Leamington has a little more, and uses it as good as any team. Leamington better hang on to that coach, guys like him don't come around often. :)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

One of the best coaches around. Has the respect of every single player and they play for him. Putting barrett in tonight was a very smart move that turned out good. He was solid. 2 down 2 to go.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Barrett was a great decision tonight. Nice goals by the Flyers. Nats play was mostly uninspired despite out-shooting Leamington for the first game in the series. Top guys are not producing. Flyers are likely to finish this in 5 unless London gets their act together tomorrow night.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

London brought their A game tonight. Decisive win when they needed it most. Offense is waking up and Hughes continues solid play. Flyers getting chippier as the series continues and their PIMs are starting to mount. Shot count favors Nats for second game in a row as a result and as predicted. Game 5 now huge. Both teams will get a much deserved rest.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Huge win for London tonight. I caught part of the game, London looked pretty good, the best I've seen them play was tonight's 2nd period.

But winning 2 of the next 3 games won't be easy. Leamington is used to working hard, London might tire as the series progresses.

I don't know what to say about Amante... He seems like the kind of player you hate to play against, but would love to have on your team. But he steps over the line at times, a ton of passion in that kids game!
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

I think London will have to win to advance to the next round I think the wild card comes from the Mid West.
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

Well London finally showed up last night, If they had played that way in the first 3 games this series would be over. Leamington just couldn't get anything going at all, although they spent a good part of the night in the penalty box. Not a ton of fan support out last night either, not sure if the late start had anything to do with that.
I didn't see the Flyers coach on the bench, anyone know what the deal is with that?
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

London showed up tonight, outplayed the Flyers and outworked them. Flyers for whatever reason look like a totally different team when Piroski is not behind the bench. He had to have eye surgery yesterday Hopefully is back Thursday behind the bench.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Hope Coach P is well and recovered from his surgery. Tough spot to be in right in the middle of the division final.

Wondering if Wall or Barrett will start game 5. Not blaming the youngster for last night's loss -- he made some great saves -- but the Nats lit him up pretty good. May not have been the best coaching decision to start with him after Barrett got the W in game 3. Perhaps there were scouts in town wanting to have a look at Wall? Perhaps Flyers were trying to send a message they can win regardless of who's in the net? Guess we'll find out Thursday.

Also glad to see Sanko got 2 games for his goon show hit from behind late in the third. That makes for two multi-game Flyer suspensions when you add Gagnon's head check to the mix. Leamington doubled the number of infractions called against London last night -- looks like the predictable red & white penalty parade is now officially underway.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Apparently there was an NHL team there watching and 2 other teams. Personally id like to ser the Flyers go with barrett on Thursday.
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

Saw on the transactions that #12 Sanko for Leamington is suspended for 2 games....that will hurt the flyers, he is somewhat of a Sean Avery type of player with the amount of trash talking he does on the ice. The boy isn't a strong skater at all but effective being a pest, may be worth the trip down to see what happens tonight. I would assume the pressure is on the Flyers to win on home ice considering the Nats record at home.
Any predictions on who starts in net for the Flyers? Score?
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

I think coach should take flyers2011 advice and start Barrett. I won't predict score other than to say its likely to be fairly low and likely to be a one-goal margin that decides it. Will not be surprised to see OT. And I predict this will be the most intense game of the series so far. Both teams have come out flat in different games and the momentum has shifted back and forth. Blood's boiling on both sides now. Should be a good one.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

I hope tonight is the best game, I don't think we have seen the best from either team in this series, Sanko is a big loss but cant take penalties like that in the playoffs. Personally I think the pressure is on Leamington tonight, we will see how they respond.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

I'm going to say the game's 3-3 after regulation.

OT Winner-

Leamington- Opblinger

London- Ferreira
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Off to OT

London ties the game at 2-2 with the goalie on the bench. Then they came close to winning with 6 seconds left in regulation. Leamington was the better team in the first period, but London outworked them the rest of the game. Leamington clearly has more talent though, as their scoring chances were better than London's for the most part.

Tonight has been a goaltending battle. Both goalies have been outstanding. I think the ref's contact lenses are fogged up, because tonight's game has been very inconsistent penalty wise. London got away with a hit from behind in the first period, while the Flyers fans were screaming for a call just before London tied the game.

Rumor has it London has protested this series. The rules state 5 skaters & a goalie. Leamington has been using 5 skaters & a Wall. :P :smt081 :smt080 :smt109
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

London Wins, London Wins!!!!

London scored on a nice setup just minutes into OT. They now lead the best of seven series 3-2. Looks like London might take this series.
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

congrats london looks like you guys played well tonight bring er home boys and win it in your barn best of luck to the nats from here on out
co founder of the pylon chant!!!!!!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Port hockey1 wrote:I think the ref's contact lenses are fogged up, because tonight's game has been very inconsistent penalty wise.
I'm just wondering, how was the reffing inconsistent when they called 2 penalties, 1 on each team, the entire game? I wasn't at the game nor did I watch it on FastHockey, but that tells me they let them play.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

http://localsportsreport.com/gojhl/2016 ... lyers-3-2/

The non call on trip is what lead to the tieing goal, They only called a couple penalties but missed ALOT both ways. I thought this was the best game of the series with lots of intensity. Winning goal not sure what wall was thinking trying to catch that puck. Do or Die Saturday I am sure barrett will be in net.
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

flyers2011 wrote:http://localsportsreport.com/gojhl/2016 ... lyers-3-2/

The non call on trip is what lead to the tieing goal, They only called a couple penalties but missed ALOT both ways. I thought this was the best game of the series with lots of intensity. Winning goal not sure what wall was thinking trying to catch that puck. Do or Die Saturday I am sure barrett will be in net.
Scott usually writes decent stuff but this article is a great example of why anyone associated with one team shouldn't report on the games. Who is he to determine whether or not a Nats player tripped a Flyer, that's why there are refs out there. The game sheet on pointstreak lists Anderson and Veccia...pretty sure those two have been around long enough to determine a trip or not. Sour grapes that his team didn't get the win....boo hoo. I give RG credit, she typically calls it like it is even though she bleeds rocket red. Making the trip into London on Saturday forsure, this is going to be epic.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I bleed Rocket Red White & Blue and am a Rocket forever and for always.

But if/when I write about a game, or writing the play-off previews, I try to not let my heart guide it. I try to be objective. At this point, I feel I'm not just RocketGirl, I'm more GOJHLGirl, but that's way too long and RG is catchier.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
RecKing

Post by RecKing »

I don't think Mr. Holland's line about an apparent late game trip was intended as being objective - it was probably used to point out a critical juncture of the contest. If anyone had been at that game they would have heard coach Piroski screaming at the ref's at the end of the third about that lack of a call - if that bit had been added to the story I would have said the piece as biased. Instead people tend not to see a story's balance. Full credit goes to London who won that game and to Leamington for a hard-fought game. With only one penalty called per side, more easily could have been called and Scott's story only infers that things may have turned out differently if that one call had been made. Some pretty blatant other penalties were ignored by the refs. But so many things can affect a game. It was great contest, too bad there weren't more fans there to feel the atmosphere and see just exactly how things really went down.
Northofusa19

Post by Northofusa19 »

The refs put the whistles away which is exactly what you want in a final . Great flow to the game . I saw the trip that was not called but I also saw a hook and a hit from behind that wasn't called earlier so if the refs call that then it would have looked bad on their part . The OT goal was not Walls fault but everyone involved. The Veteran D on the play did not communicate with Wall which turned out to land on a London stick and the shooter had all the time in the world . Not a single soul picked him up so it was a total defensive breakdown not just Wall
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:I think the ref's contact lenses are fogged up, because tonight's game has been very inconsistent penalty wise.
I'm just wondering, how was the reffing inconsistent when they called 2 penalties, 1 on each team, the entire game? I wasn't at the game nor did I watch it on FastHockey, but that tells me they let them play.
Oh they let them play, good on them for that. But there was a few instances where making a call was needed. Tripping on a scoring chance, bad hits, etc.

But, they did call a great game. Just let a little too much go at times. But that's playoffs.
Last edited by Port hockey1 on Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Would like to see video on both goals. Would also like to read less moaning about refs on this forum and more insightful commentary on the actual play. The refs call too many penalties, bitching. They call too few, bitching. It gets so boring and predictable. Refs call 'em like they see 'em. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes not. Part of the game. Things generally balance out. Get over it. The Nats won, fair and square, in a hard-fought battle. We'll see Saturday if Leamington can tip the momentum back in their favour. I'm doubtful, but they are a great team, well coached -- as are the Nats. Full credit to the players on both teams, who are responsible for the game outcomes -- not the refs.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Qwerty wrote:Would like to see video on both goals. Would also like to read less moaning about refs on this forum and more insightful commentary on the actual play. The refs call too many penalties, bitching. They call too few, bitching. It gets so boring and predictable. Refs call 'em like they see 'em. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes not. Part of the game. Things generally balance out. Get over it. The Nats won, fair and square, in a hard-fought battle. We'll see Saturday if Leamington can tip the momentum back in their favour. I'm doubtful, but they are a great team, well coached -- as are the Nats. Full credit to the players on both teams, who are responsible for the game outcomes -- not the refs.
Actually a refs split second decision to call a penalty or not make the call factors into these games greatly. Just saying.. :)