2 Teams Leaving for the OJHL?

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

2 Teams Leaving for the OJHL?

Post by RocketGirl »

I saw this story on Twitter. Brantford and Niagara Falls have applied to be part of the OJHL next season.

http://www.stratfordbeaconherald.com/20 ... n-the-ojhl
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Caledonia Fan

Re: 2 Teams Leaving for the OJHL?

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Hate to see any teams leave. But can understand why.
Frank Pietrangelo very up front and honest.
Congrats to these two teams if the get accepted.
I think they only have room for two teams.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Good for Frank! I hope Niagara Falls is accepted by the OJHL. I'd love to have a reason to support that league!

If they get in, a lot of players will bail on Golden Horseshoe teams for Niagara Falls, that's a given. Same with Brantford, if they get in younger players will leave Mid-West and even West teams after a season or two for the OJHL team.

We're already losing players to the OJHL at an increasing rate. This situation will only make more go. But like I said, it would be great for the city of Niagara Falls and local OJHL fans. :) :smt006
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

I wonder how Niagara Falls they will draw for the OJHL will ticket prices be higher . Brantford record not that great in GOHL will they ice a better team . It wil seem strange not having Niagara Falls in the GOHl next season will Caledonia or Ancaster or both join the Mid West conference.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

three dog night wrote:I wonder how Niagara Falls they will draw for the OJHL will ticket prices be higher . Brantford record not that great in GOHL will they ice a better team . It wil seem strange not having Niagara Falls in the GOHl next season will Caledonia or Ancaster or both join the Mid West conference.
If both teams leave, it will be time to talk about new divisions. Possibly two instead of three...
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

I heard the idea was to add franchises - Woodstock in the Midwest? Maybe Ayr? - from Junior C to fill in the holes.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I heard the 2 Conference thing may already be in the works.

The Death Pool has weighed in on this topic too.

http://thejuniorhockeynews.com/?p=58171
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

I'm still shocked Caledonia wasn't in on this - one of the big deterrents for some Jr. B teams was obviously increased budgets, but Caledonia (once it three-peats) would be in a perfect spot to make the jump.

Same with Cambridge, they've been at the forefront of every single push for the league to become Junior A. Hell, an article 2 years ago said they were leaving the league for the OJ at that time.

Never happened.
Last edited by ILuvHackey on Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Port hockey1 wrote:Good for Frank! I hope Niagara Falls is accepted by the OJHL. I'd love to have a reason to support that league!

If they get in, a lot of players will bail on Golden Horseshoe teams for Niagara Falls, that's a given. Same with Brantford, if they get in younger players will leave Mid-West and even West teams after a season or two for the OJHL team.

We're already losing players to the OJHL at an increasing rate. This situation will only make more go. But like I said, it would be great for the city of Niagara Falls and local OJHL fans. :) :smt006
One of the biggest problems with the league's classification. The leagues aren't far in talent level, yet it's hard to keep kids here because of one stupid B letter.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

ILuvHackey wrote:I'm still shocked Caledonia wasn't in on this - one of the big deterrents for some Jr. B teams was obviously increased budgets, but Caledonia (once it three-peats) would be in a perfect spot to make the jump.

Same with Cambridge, they've been at the forefront of every single push for the league to become Junior A. Hell, an article 2 years ago said they were leaving the league for the OJ at that time.

Never happened.
I'm shocked to about Caledonia.
Your right, and the way they were treated by the rest of the teams in the Shoe.
Remember only two teams voted to accept Caledonia into the Shoe.
The league made the move.
I think Caledonia is kicking them self's in the ass right now.
Cambridge might feel the same way.
Good for N.F. and Brantford to look ahead . Because right now things ain't looking good for the Shoe if N.F. leaves.
drafty

Post by drafty »

If this happens, wouldn't it mean that a Junior B franchise would become available in these 2 cities, IF someone wanted it? I realise that it's extremely unlikely due to ice times, advertising, etc., etc., but just wondering.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

drafty wrote:If this happens, wouldn't it mean that a Junior B franchise would become available in these 2 cities, IF someone wanted it? I realise that it's extremely unlikely due to ice times, advertising, etc., etc., but just wondering.
Yeah but it won't happen. Brantford had a GMHL team that folded a quarter into the season.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

Caledonia Fan wrote: I'm shocked to about Caledonia.
I personally think Caledonia wants to move back to the Midwest.

I honestly don't think Brantford will make the jump. They're still a relatively new franchise and I think they did it to spite Cambridge as they stated in 2012 that they were applying for the 2013-14 season http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/sports-sto ... n-2013-14/
Seth

Post by Seth »

ILuvHackey wrote:I heard the idea was to add franchises - Woodstock in the Midwest? Maybe Ayr? - from Junior C to fill in the holes.
You would be better off trying to get Grimsby to move to B before trying to add a Woodstock or Ayr to replace the two teams. It wasn't all that long ago that Woodstock was on the verge of folding. The new group managing the team has done a wonderful job turning around the franchise's fortunes but I can't see their current management group having ambitions to go B.

I'm not surprised Brantford wants to make the jump, DeDobbelar has always been known as wanting to play with the big boys, Could also work as a recruiting tool for his JrC team in Simcoe knowing they will be affiliated with a team in the OJHL.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Niagara Falls and Brantford will in all likelihood be back in the GOJHL next season. Take that to the Bank Bernie. :smt033
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

It appears that Brantford is staying put.

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2016/0 ... n-junior-b
DeDobbelaer said that he recently received an email from OJHL commissioner Marty Savoy letting the 99ers know that the application process, which also included the GOJHL's Niagara Falls Canucks, had been suspended.
I assume that means Niagara Falls is also staying.

I posted something about this on the blog and have found from the Stratford Beacon Herald that the OJHL and OHA has suspended the expansion project.

http://overtimesportsnation.com/gojhl-teams-staying/
Queen of the GOJHL