20 Year Olds Restrictions

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

20 Year Olds Restrictions

Post by RocketGirl »

This is a story from the Cambridge Times on the proposed options on restricting 20 year olds.

http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/sports-sto ... d-players/

They had a league meeting on the weekend and I guess a number of different scenarios were presented to the teams, which will be voted on this Friday.

As I had mentioned in my opinion piece, How Many Is Too Many, the issue isn't necessarily the number of 20 years, but who those 20 year olds are. Cambridge's Director of Hockey Operations Keith Stewart mentioned that he'd like to see a restriction on guys that have played in the CHL. I guess 1 of the ideas put forth is that if you sign an ex-OHLer, it'll cost you 2 cards.

I had someone respond to my article, who is another Director of Hockey Ops in the Midwest, suggest that if you're on a CHL card as of Dec. 1 in your 19th year, you are not eligible to play in the GOJHL as a 20 year old.

Another idea that was mentioned to me was that you can only come back and play in the GOJHL if you had played here before.

I also heard something about trying to get the 16 yr. old cards increased and that for every 20 yr. old signed after 5, you loose a 16 yr. old card.

We'll find out soon what they are going to do next season.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
ILuvHackey

Re: 20 Year Olds Restrictions

Post by ILuvHackey »

What Stewart had to say about OHL-experience being the big issue is the big thing I think we'll see limited, not so much how many 20 year olds or anything like that.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Interesting and timely development. Thanks for posting this, RG. Please be sure to share follow-up reporting on this story.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Don't you worry Qwerty, I will. I'm very interested to see how they'll deal with this.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

The they can only come back if they played here before idea won't work. Many OHL players played a rookie season in the GOJHL.

So they would all be able to return as 20 year olds, no matter how good they are.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

RG, do you know where the league landed on this issue or when it will be made public?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I have heard they had the vote by email last Wed. and that a limit has been decided, but I've been waiting for something official to come out, and I don't know when that will be, so that I'm not the one that's spilling the beans.

I was told they basically took the OJHL rule and then tweaked it for GOJHL purposes.
Queen of the GOJHL

Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Thanks RG. Do you know what the gist of the OJHL rule is?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Unfortunately, I don't know the OJ's rules.

I was just told that since the league wants the Jr. A classification, when this discussion came up, they looked at the OJHL's rules and then tweak it to suit our purposes.
Queen of the GOJHL

Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Thanks again RG. If the league has landed on a rule that would limit the ability of a Jr B team to stack its roster with veteran Jr A players, they may wait to publicize it until sometime in the summer when fewer people are looking and after the Corvairs have had a chance to celebrate their championship, given the likelihood they appear to be on the road to 3-peating. Can't blame the league if that proves to be the way it shakes out. Wouldn't be fair to CC to taint the validity of their victory having earned it within the existing rules.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Qwerty wrote:Thanks again RG. If the league has landed on a rule that would limit the ability of a Jr B team to stack its roster with veteran Jr A players, they may wait to publicize it until sometime in the summer when fewer people are looking and after the Corvairs have had a chance to celebrate their championship, given the likelihood they appear to be on the road to 3-peating. Can't blame the league if that proves to be the way it shakes out. Wouldn't be fair to CC to taint the validity of their victory having earned it within the existing rules.
Caledonia has proven they can ice a winner. I don't care what the rule is, they'll still be competing at a high level next year. The last two Caledonia teams didn't have all that many 20 year olds.

Some might be in for a rude awakening if they think tweaking rules will end Caledonia's dynasty.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/sports-sto ... xt-season/

By a “large majority”, teams in the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League voted to limit the number of 20-year-olds per team beginning in the 2016-17 season.

In an electronic vote by the 26 member teams last Friday (March 18), it was decided that teams could only carry a maximum of nine, 20-year-olds on their roster.

In addition, should a team sign a player that was on a Canadian Hockey League card the previous season after Jan. 10, it would cost the team the equivalent of two 20-year-old players. The exception to that rule is if the player had previously been on a registered card in the GOJHL during their junior career, then it would cost the team just the one card.

The new rule has been dubbed the 20-Year-Old Player Policy.

GOJHL commissioner Chuck Williams said the new policy will allow the league to fall in line with Junior A leagues throughout Canada. The Ontario Junior Hockey League has a similar policy related to 20-year-old players.

“The Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League is the highest level of junior hockey that’s offered in southwestern Ontario under the OHA (Ontario Hockey Association). With that in mind, we are always trying to improve the product on the ice, which allows us to recruit and develop and promote our players the best we can,” Williams said.

“We’re looking at bringing in the highest-skilled players we can have. We certainly want them to develop not only in their hockey skills, but in life skills, their educational careers and promote them to whatever level is appropriate for them.

“In many cases that’s going to be NCAA scholarships. CIS scholarships, possibly the OHL and beyond, or whatever their hockey career ends up being, we just want to make sure that we’ve developed them to the point that they can choose their path after that.”

Williams said for most teams, the new policy would make little difference. The league average for 20-year-olds per team is 5.69, with only four carrying more than nine this season – Guelph, 10; Leamington, 10; St. Catharines, 11; and Caledonia, 16.

Three teams – Brantford, St. Mary’s and Lambton Shores – didn’t have any 20-year-olds on the roster. The Cambridge Winter Hawks had five at one time, but after trades, whittled the number down to one.

“I would have to say that most teams are already living within this policy,” said Williams, adding there were similar policy models discussed, with just slight modifications to each.

“The purpose for bringing this into play is just like any other rule within a constitution or procedure or policy, or game day operations, is just to standardize the playing field for all of the teams so that we know there is a certain level that is being adhered to.”

While it may seem the policy was brought in after the backlash Caledonia has received for stockpiling 20-year-olds with varying degrees of OHL experience, Williams said change has been talked about for the last two years and it was “not something new that just hit the table”.

But the timing of the policy change certainly had a direct purpose.

“What happened more than anything else is that teams realized that, look, if we’re heading into mini camps, we should really know how we’re going to proceed with this rule. That’s what brought it up at this time.”
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Now that it's been released in an official capacity, complete with quotes from Chuck, I can confirm this was the information I was told on Fri. in Stratford.
Queen of the GOJHL

ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

For whatever it means, I like the rule. Limits them like Junior A, discourages CHL throwaways, but rewards players who played in the GOJHL.

The next hurdle for the league is player retention of it's good 18-19 year olds.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

It's a Jr. B league, Port. The teams should have Jr. B players on their rosters. That's all I'm saying.

In the west, on any given night, any team can win -- like last year when the 7th place Nats eliminated the 2nd place Maroons. This year, maybe the 4th place Maroons will upset the 1st place Flyers and get their chance at revenge with 2nd place London, provided the Nats get by 3rd place LaSalle who had to go 7 games to get by 6th place Sarnia. But we'll have to wait and watch the games to find out. That's REAL Jr B hockey.

Ever wonder why the top six teams in GO for attendance are all in the west? Because that's where the competitive games that people like to watch happen. The midwest is unpredictable, too, where 6th place Waterloo is on the verge of eliminating 1st place Kitchener after knocking off 3rd place Listowel.

Meanwhile in the Shoe, Caledonia cake-walks through the first two rounds by an average margin of 10 goals for and 1 against. And everyone is predicting they will sweep their way through the rest of the post-season to their third cup.

I'm on the edge of my seat.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Thanks ILuvHackey and RG for the update. A positive step forward for the league.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Qwerty wrote:It's a Jr. B league, Port. The teams should have Jr. B players on their rosters. That's all I'm saying.

In the west, on any given night, any team can win -- like last year when the 7th place Nats eliminated the 2nd place Maroons. This year, maybe the 4th place Maroons will upset the 1st place Flyers and get their chance at revenge with 2nd place London, provided the Nats get by 3rd place LaSalle who had to go 7 games to get by 6th place Sarnia. But we'll have to wait and watch the games to find out. That's REAL Jr B hockey.

Ever wonder why the top six teams in GO for attendance are all in the west? Because that's where the competitive games that people like to watch happen. The midwest is unpredictable, too, where 6th place Waterloo is on the verge of eliminating 1st place Kitchener after knocking off 3rd place Listowel.

Meanwhile in the Shoe, Caledonia cake-walks through the first two rounds by an average margin of 10 goals for and 1 against. And everyone is predicting they will sweep their way through the rest of the post-season to their third cup.

I'm on the edge of my seat.
I get what you're saying. I even agree. Just saying that great teams find ways to win. That wasn't meant to be a shot or anything. Just saying the new rule probably won't hurt Caledonia. Their management said they were in favor of a similar rule a couple years ago from what I've read. :)

I've been told the West does better in attendance because this is basically the only game around. There's the Sarnia Sting... But I hear Knights tickets are costly.

But whatever the reason, The West has some great passionate fan bases.
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

The rule passed http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2016 ... e-per-team they call it the Caledonia rule lol.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

That is the first time that I have heard that the non-import rule has been lifted to include the entire GOJHL. It is what was asked for a couple of years ago and denied so we had to settle for non-imports within our own conference the following year, now it is the entire league. That will help a lot of teams close to colleges and universities. A huge shot in the arm for the Golden Horseshoe.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

After initially favouring a three 20-year-old cap while expanding the number of 16-year-olds to five from two per team, Caledonia decided to vote against the proposal and maintain the status quo.

“We’re a league without an identity. We were trying to make it more developmental,” said Brian Rizzetto, the Corvairs general manager and director of hockey operations.

He said Caledonia isn’t disappointed that the Caledonia Rule was passed.

“We would have been disappointed had everyone but Caledonia been allowed nine players. That wouldn’t have been fair,” he said. “All I ask is tell us what the rules are and Caledonia will follow them.”

Rizzetto, whose team’s player cards were inspected three times this season, said the Corvairs want to run a “good program, year in and year out.”

“It’s all kind of flattering to us because it shows we are in everybody’s thought pattern.”

Caledonia prides itself on preparing players, “even 20-year-olds,” to compete at the next level, whether that be in CIS, Division 3 , the pros or in Europe.

“It’s just what level of development are you talking about.”

Rizzetto recalled a fundraiser was held to defray travel costs when Luke Sinclair, a graduate from the 2014-15 champions, got an offer to play professionally in Sweden.

“We thinks that’s a ‘handup,’ not a ‘handout,’” he said. “We think that is helping a player realize his dreams.”
Rizzetto makes some good points. Plus, they've won their last 2 Cups with 9, and 7 20 year olds. So much for the 'Caledonia' rule. :lol: :wink: :smt006
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

Marcie wrote:That is the first time that I have heard that the non-import rule has been lifted to include the entire GOJHL. It is what was asked for a couple of years ago and denied so we had to settle for non-imports within our own conference the following year, now it is the entire league. That will help a lot of teams close to colleges and universities. A huge shot in the arm for the Golden Horseshoe.
I had heard this last season, the plan was to graduate to the entire footprint of the league after a season of conference wide. This will end the strangle hold that some teams have on local talent. This should help the better run teams most, but could make it really tough on the teams that are not well operated. It also puts the GOJHL on an equal footing with the OJHL as far as being able to recruit better players to the better teams. I don't think it will help bring parity into the league.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Port hockey1 wrote:Rizzetto makes some good points. Plus, they've won their last 2 Cups with 9, and 7 20 year olds. So much for the 'Caledonia' rule. :lol: :wink: :smt006
Yet they need 19, including affiliates, to try and secure a 3rd.
Queen of the GOJHL

Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:Rizzetto makes some good points. Plus, they've won their last 2 Cups with 9, and 7 20 year olds. So much for the 'Caledonia' rule. :lol: :wink: :smt006
Yet they need 19, including affiliates, to try and secure a 3rd.
What's your point? When you have the funds, obviously you try and make league history. Everyone's upset because the league made itself look bad. They're the ones who's rules allowed Caledonia to do this. :lol:

And I know you don't care either way, just talking about those who do. :)
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Port hockey1 wrote:Everyone's upset because the league made itself look bad. They're the ones who's rules allowed Caledonia to do this. :lol:
The NHL once allowed players to play without helmets. The game evolved. It wasn't "making itself look bad."
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

ILuvHackey wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:Everyone's upset because the league made itself look bad. They're the ones who's rules allowed Caledonia to do this. :lol:
The NHL once allowed players to play without helmets. The game evolved. It wasn't "making itself look bad."
If this wasn't making the league look bad they wouldn't have hurried this 'Caledonia' rule into place.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Why do you think they hurried the rule?
Queen of the GOJHL

Vairs61

Post by Vairs61 »

This league needs to deside what they are. They talk about being a development league, but then complain about players being coached by other leagues. They want good quality hockey, but then complain some teams are to good, to many 20yr players. They should be more focussed on raising the competive levels of the weaker teams.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Vairs61 wrote:This league needs to deside what they are. They talk about being a development league, but then complain about players being coached by other leagues. They want good quality hockey, but then complain some teams are to good, to many 20yr players. They should be more focussed on raising the competive levels of the weaker teams.
They are a development league. However they don't want to be a development league for leagues that are essentially similar levels of play. Most would argue the GOJHL is better than the NOJ, for example, yet it is "Jr A." The OJ is very similar in talent to the GOJ, and really isn't a higher quality that the GOJ should be losing players there for next to nothing.

The GOJHL has no problems, however, with developing players for the NCAA, OHL and CIS.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

How the 20 year old rule would affect Caledonia now

Had the rule been in place this season, the Corvairs wouldn't need 2 cards for any of their 20 year olds, as they were all signed before Jan.10th. :wink:

Also, they would've been free to sign the following after Jan.10th to one card due to the player having played in the GOJHL before.(20 year olds with CHL experience)

20 YEAR OLDS WITH GOJHL EXPEREINCE(ADDED THIS SEASON)

- C.Pawley
-M.Fitzmorris
-Davis Brown
-M.Graham

-N.Zottl
-C.Bauman

20 YEAR OLDS WITHOUT GOJHL EXPERIENCE(ADDED THIS SEASON)

-T.Hill
-D.Volpe
-M.McCartney
-T.Seguin

-Jordan Brown
-A.Brown

So they could've signed the top 6 listed after Jan.10th, and only need 1 player card. The bottom 6 who would've needed to sign before Jan.10th are, T.Hill & T.Seguin... That's right, only 2 players.(and both were) :wink:

Who their 9 20 year olds would've been is anyone's guess... But my guesses are

F- Jake Brown
F- C.Pawley
F- M.Fitzmorris
F-M.Hore
F-T.Seguin

D-T.Ratchford
D-C.Bauman
D-A.Brown
D-Jordan Brown

G-Sinclair likely traded, 19 year old All-Star added.

That would've also left them with the following to trade for younger talent:

D-R.Moran
D-J.Schaefer(for solid 19 year old)
-A 19 year old instead of Luscombe

They would also be able to carry(under 20):

F-B.Fletcher
F-Q.Maksimovich
F-R.Punkari
F-M.Rimac

D-J.Bianchi

So I see how the rule would've made things different, but Caledonia would still potentially have:

Forwards-

(9)
-Jake Brown
-C.Pawley
-M.Fitzmorris
-M.Hore
-TSeguin
-B.Fletcher
-Q.Maksimovich
-R.Punkari
-M.Rimac

Defense-

(5)

-T.Ratchford
-C.Bauman
-A.Brown
-Jordan Brown
-J.Bianchi

And...

R.Moran, J.Schaefer, M.Sinclair & B.Luscombe to add younger talent.

So I'm pretty sure this rule wouldn't have hurt Caledonia at all as only

T.Hill
D.Volpe
D.Brown
M.Graham

N.Zottl

wouldn't be there. But there would be other 18-19 year olds... Just something to look at. :) :smt006
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Jake brown wouldn't of took a 20 year old card. He is still eligible for next year