Lambton Shores Post Mortem

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Oglethorp

Lambton Shores Post Mortem

Post by Oglethorp »

The Preds missed playoffs this year, but still have a lot of potential in their lineup. Sarfati and Sproviero are likely to move on but should either or both return the Preds could be a team to contend with. Phillips and Berube will get serious consideration by their OHL teams but like the two previously mentioned if they are back the Preds could be very competitive. Most of the other players on this young team should be back.

Off season plan for the Preds needs to start with establishing a solid bench staff. Matt Ashman finished up the season coaching the team with Owner/GM Roop Chaderdat by his side. Bringing on solid hockey people to help out on the bench needs to be the top priority. Next on the list should be an off season plan. Many teams run a prospect camp, then do some unofficial skates with returning players (often every other week) to keep everyone on the ice a bit over the summer months leading into main camp. In past the Preds have done a prospect camp late May or June then hibernate for 3 months during baseball season. The Preds need to be awake while other teams are talking with prospects over the summer. Waiting to see who falls through the cracks in Sarnia or London (via St Thomas, St Marys and Strathroy) will not get the Preds the player personnel needed.

Lastly over the long term the Preds need to relocate to a better market. The Lambton jr Sting teams are very talent deficient so not many local prospects for the next few seasons. Relocating closer to the London jr Knights/ Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs area would be a benefit. Komoka or Dorchester would be ideal locations as well as Woodstock. Recruiting local kids with the ability to play can only help with game attendance.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
cpt obvious

Re: Lambton Shores Post Mortem

Post by cpt obvious »

Well said, not sure about the move to another venue though. Winning is what brings fans out to the games not location. If this squad can put together a string of 2-3 years of playoff hockey I think the people will come out. They felt moving from Petrolia was the answer and we all know how that turned out now Alvingston is moving to Petrolia to tap into that market and community. If Alvingston can make it work then that will look bad on Lambton no doubt. Starts with management and bench staff, from what I have heard last years coach at the end will not be coming back so if that's true then it's a start, maybe a hockey GM might help as well...baseball is a different beast, not sure if the skipper knows that yet...hope it works out though, the West is known for its parody and nobody wants to see another Pelham situation down this way.
richard

Post by richard »

Yes, I believe he should stick to baseball unless the village, oha , league and himself enjoy predators losing all the time which I doubt? Yes, the location and arena is fine. Management has to improve now!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Something is really wrong with Lambton Shores. The last 3 years they've had the talent to finish 5-6 in the division. But they never win the games, meaning they must not play as a team.

That and the fact that they always trade their players doesn't help. I was surprised they held onto their leading scorer at the deadline. Usually money talks with that team.

If these kids who are traded want out, it's an indication that something's wrong in that organization. The league needs to start getting involved with teams that lose their top players all the time. The league needs to do more to figure out what the issues are with team's where this has been happening. Maybe work with these teams to make the needed improvements.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102