#3 LaSalle vs #6 Sarnia playoff thread

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

#3 LaSalle vs #6 Sarnia playoff thread

Post by Port hockey1 »

Schedule;

Game 1: Sarnia at LaSalle Wednesday 7 p.m.

Game 2: LaSalle at Sarnia Saturday 7:10 p.m.

Game 3: Sarnia at LaSalle Sunday 6 p.m.

Game 4: LaSalle at Sarnia March 8 7:10 p.m.

*Game 5: Sarnia at LaSalle March 9 7 p.m.

*Game 6: LaSalle at Sarnia March 12 7:10 p.m.

*Game 7: Sarnia at LaSalle March 13 5 p.m.

*if necessary
Last edited by Port hockey1 on Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
RocketGirl

Re: #3 LaSalle vs #6 Sarnia

Post by RocketGirl »

I'm wondering why Sarnia gave up their home night for this round. Even with the Sting having a game on the same night as them, they still draw very good crowds.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
GOJHLFAN-999

Re: #3 LaSalle vs #6 Sarnia playoff thread

Post by GOJHLFAN-999 »

Tough series to call
• Offensively pretty even
• Defensively slight edge to LaSalle
• Goaltending goes to LaSalle
I predict LaSalle in 6 games
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

GOJHLFAN-999 wrote:Tough series to call
• Offensively pretty even
• Defensively slight edge to LaSalle
• Goaltending goes to LaSalle
I predict LaSalle in 6 games
I'd say LaSalle has a lot more offense than Sarnia. I could be wrong though. :)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Lasalle 215 goals
Sarnia 163 goals
Offensive edge Lasalle
End of a era in Leamington
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Sarnia Observer;
(3) LaSalle Vipers (31-14-3-2) vs (6) Sarnia Legionnaires (23-22-2-3)

Season series: LaSalle 4-1-1-0 Sarnia 1-3-1-1

Goals head-to-head: LaSalle 15 Sarnia 12

Special teams: LaSalle 16% PP, 84% PK; Sarnia 20% PP, 79% PK

Leading scorers: LaSalle – Manny Silverio 28G, Liam MacDougall 61 P; Sarnia – Ryan Vendramin/Brandon Layman 24G, Vendramin 67P

These clubs skated to a 1-1 tie in their first meeting of the season – draws were reintroduced to the GOJHL while shootouts were eliminated – and since then the average margin of victory has been around two goals.

“We've played them fairly hard this season, they've had the upper hand on us but the last few games have been really close,” Davis said. “We've got to make sure we play 60 solid minutes and keep our mistakes down and make sure we don't put them on the power play all night, they've been scoring quite a few.”

Neither team's power play had much success against each other this season as LaSalle was 4-for-28 while Sarnia went 3-for-30.

The Vipers are on a roll lately, though, riding a six-game win streak while pumping in 33 goals over that span.

“They've been hot of late,” Davis said. “They had some injuries and stuff and they got all their players back, that's why they've been on a roll here. And Billy Bowler's a great coach. I tip my hat to him, he did a great job at the end there.”

Bowler did not respond to interview requests.

The Legionnaires, in contrast, went 1-4 down the stretch.

“You wish you were on a five- or six-game winning streak like they are but you're not so you've got to deal with it,” Davis said. “The way we're going to deal with it is practise hard (Tuesday) night and just go down to LaSalle and have some fun.

“It's all the little things that are going to win series, and that's you're blocking your shots and your back-pressure, your back-checking, all those little things.”

The Vipers eliminated the Legionnaires in six games in last year's semifinals before losing to Leamington in the championship series, but they still advanced to the Sutherland Cup because they were the finalist with the best regular-season record. LaSalle went on to reach the Sutherland final where it lost in six games to Caledonia.

After battling a spate of injuries and suspensions most of the season, Sarnia now has a completely health line-up, while in goal Davis is leaning towards starting 16-year-old rookie Aidan Hughes.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

6-1 LaSalle tonight, looks like they dominated play too. This series might not last long. Feel bad for Sarnia, such a large passionate fan base.

The rookie from Lakeshore put up 4 or 5 points tonight. Kids going to be a top player(In league) if he's back next season. :) :smt006
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

I could see him playing in the states next year, as for the game Sarnia played a strong game until there goalie got hurt, it was 2-1 at the time, he made some unbelieveable saves, once he got hurt the Vipers took this game over and put it away.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

flyers2011 wrote:I could see him playing in the states next year, as for the game Sarnia played a strong game until there goalie got hurt, it was 2-1 at the time, he made some unbelieveable saves, once he got hurt the Vipers took this game over and put it away.
I thought they pulled him after two goals. Hope he's alright and makes it back in the series. I'm thinking about getting fast hockey for the playoffs. I'm not going to make it out to many games at this time of the season, so might be a worthy investment. :)
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

From the Sarnia Observer about Hughes' injury.

Legionnaires netminder Aidan Hughes was forced to leave halfway his team's 6-1 loss to the Vipers in the opener of the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League quarter-final. The 16-year-old rookie hurt his right hamstring while making one of his 23 saves.

“It was kind of a cross-crease play, I think I just overextended my leg, I could just feel it pop,” Hughes said. “I knew something was up.”

Hughes suffered a similar hamstring ailment last season while playing for his minor midget team in London and was able to return one week later.

“So I knew it was something I couldn't come back from during the game. It was an unfortunate play but hopefully I can come back soon, but we'll see,” he said. “We'll see how it goes with the rest of the series, hopefully it's not as bad as last year.”
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

Not good news for the Legionnaires who have not been very good in their last 10 games. They had a very strong showing in December and have never got back on track. A very strong powerplay earlier in the season wasn't very good at all in February. LaSalle has been heading in the opposite direction, especially since the suspension to Battisti. A very big hill for any team to climb. LaSalle also had some nice additions late in the season that have been paying dividends for them over the last few weeks as well. This one could be over quick.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Agree with Ogie... Lasalle looking very strong with great momentum. When Battisti gets back, they'll be that much more confident with two very capable net-minders. May be some tough decisions ahead for the coaches on who to start, though each has played almost equal time through the season. Nice problem to have. Hughes' injury only makes things more desperate for Sarnia as I think he is the marginally stronger of the two Legionnaire backstoppers.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Big come from behind win by Sarnia in a penalty fest in game 2. Welcome to the playoffs. Home ice will work to LaSalle's advantage here, but looks like they are going to need to grind for the rest of the series.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

LaSalle wins game 3, takes 2-1 series lead

6-2 tonight, Sarnia looks to be skating with them better than I thought they would though. 3 unanswered 3rd period goals sealed the deal tonight.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

decided to go to Game 2 and 3 of this series instead of Leamington due to the fact I knew what the result in Leamington would be. Tonights game in Lasalle was much closer then the score indicated. Vipers deserved the win no doubt but Sarnia was right there for the majority of the game. Game 4 Tuesday will be huge. If Sarnia wins they put the pressure on the Lasalle, and if the Vipers win this series is basically over.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

I agree with flyers, I watched the first half of this game prior to switching over to the London-Strathroy match. Sarnia was in this game. They played well. It was a good road game and looked like they were going to take the game from LaSalle in the first half.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

I Think Game 5 Wednesday night is a MUST win for the Vipers, if they lose Game 5 they are in big trouble heading back to the brock street barn. Looks like battisti got lit up in the third.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Surprised by the goaltending stats in this game for Lasalle. Battisti rusty after his suspension with 4 GA on nine shots. Great to see Sarnia making this one a coin-toss.
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

What a series this one has turned out to be! Realistically I think Lasalle wins out in this one but Sarnia has shown they are a team on the edge of going deep in the West. Flyers2011 said it best, if Sarnia can win GM 5....it could just be that first round upset we all knew was there somewhere.
Blades

Post by Blades »

Being totally biased, I would love to see the Legionnaire's win this series.

That being said, and being honest, I am blown away with how well the Sarnia boys have played. I have seen so much speed by team LaSalle this season and they certainly haven't lost it. However, I'm seeing a Sarnia team who is more often than not keeping up with the speedy Viper forwards. They have been getting their sticks and bodies in the way of LaSalle's passes, finishing checks more often -- just more effort, perhaps? Regardless, the Legionnaire boys have been firing on most cylinders and all that in front of what would be considered Sarnia's 2nd goaltender. Kudos to Battler for coming in to take over when Hughes was injured and to the boys for showing their true colours. Maybe it's something to do with wearing their new 3rd jersey -- the red ones look great.
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

LaSalle is in a do or die situation after tonight's loss. Can't say that I saw this coming. But Sarnia is the sleeper here. With the Davis factor they have to be. Winning follows that man around!
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

This series will be an exciting finish. Since I don't have to go to the WMMA on Sat., but I'll most likely be at the Brock Street Barn. May or may not have bell in hand, we'll see.
Queen of the GOJHL

Blades

Post by Blades »

Oh please, please, please bring your bell. We like it LOUD in our barn. Hopefully the boys will be sporting their red jerseys. I really like them.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Well, I had a mechanical issue with it last night, but thank the heavens that HG was there to fix it.
Queen of the GOJHL

Blades

Post by Blades »

RocketGirl wrote:Well, I had a mechanical issue with it last night, but thank the heavens that HG was there to fix it.
HG is still around? I don't think I've seen them at any games in Sarnia. I wondered where they've been. Say hello for me, will ya!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Big game for both teams Saturday night

This has turned out to be the best series. Usually it's the 4-5 seed series that gets the most entertaining, but not this season.

This is obviously the most important game of LaSalle's season. But it's also probably the most important game of Sarnia's season. LaSalle has to come into their building and win, all the pressure's on them. But if LaSalle manages to win this game... It's going to be a tall order for Sarnia to go back to LaSalle and win in their building again.

The momentum seems to have shifted in Sarnia's direction. But LaSalle has the talent to come back. I see Sarnia getting it done tonight, and completing the upset with a 6-5 OT win.

Anyone else want to take a guess on this series will end? :) :smt115
Guylafleur

Post by Guylafleur »

Lasalle 5-4 in OT
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

I thought chatham fans were the worst. Nope i was wrong. What a insane game on and off the ice in sarnia tonight. Well earned win by Lasalle !!
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

You weren't sitting behind a Sarnia super fan and his kid who didn't shut up the entire game, had no idea what they were yelling about, and decided during OT to tell my Dad that he needs to learn the game of hockey.

Sarnia's down fall tonight was when they played Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey Goodbye when it was tied 4 4 with 6 min to go.

They did the same thing in 2007 with We Are The Champions before they earned the right to play it.
Queen of the GOJHL