london free press article - concussions

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

richard

london free press article - concussions

Post by richard »

sad to read article regarding player Warren on Nationals. Surely, something can be and continue to be done to erase concussions.
ILuvHackey

Re: london free press article - concussions

Post by ILuvHackey »

People moving fast and bumping into each other means the brain moves inside the skull. You won't ever erase concussions.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

This is a worsening problem. We need minimum suspensions for targeting the head, and they need to be severe. This is happening at all levels of hockey.

Marner keeps taking head shots, Nylander at the World Juniors. The lack of respect makes me sick!

Here's a link to the article mentioned above;

http://www.lfpress.com/2016/02/24/leagu ... -the-issue
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

You won't erase concussions but there are steps that other leagues are taking to reduce the frequency. The NHL has given out stiff penalties to players that habitually target the head, the OHL has suspended players for blindside hits and targeting the head this season even if the ref doesn't make a call. The GOJHL mind trust isn't on that page yet. It is a physical game and needs to stay that way, but the league can't allow open season on its best players.

I know this year that several OHL and Tier 2 A teams ran their tryouts without a single fight occurring. Kids delivering head shots in many cases became early cuts. That needs to be where the GOJHL teams start next year. They also need to get decent video, review questionable plays routinely and apply supplemental discipline. Get the cameras shooting over or under the mesh, not through it. The last game I was at in Strathroy one of the parents/fans mentioned that the kids are expected to finish their checks. Not a problem until you make it a blindside hit, or hit a player in a vulnerable position. If the hit is 2 zones away from the puck it is a late hit, not a finished check. Same goes if you take 6 strides after the puck is released. All are easy boarding or checking to the head calls. The league needs to apply more suspensions.

The league should adjust the instigator rule as well. I have seen a few games this year where a 4th line plug instigates a fight with the other teams top player in the 1st period. The player that was instigated upon should be allowed to return after 5 minutes and should be exempt from a suspension if in the last 10 minutes. Double the suspension for the instigator in the last 10 minutes. Fine teams after an allowable number of fights during the season like the OHL does.

AS Dave Warren pointed out skill players (like his son) are what the league needs to promote itself as a development league and eventually be designated as Jr A. If the league continues to allow plugs to run around and injure the league skill players, they will leave for one of many Jr A leagues and the GOJHL will become a glorified Jr c loop.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Here's my thoughts;

Targeting the head/head checking; First offense, 10 games, second offense, 15 games, third offense, 25 games. If the player does it again...A season!

Mind you, these suspensions shouldn't be issued simply because there was a head-check call. Every incident involving head-contact should be reviewed. When it could've been avoided, the above suspensions should apply.

Kids will start letting up on these open ice hits if they aren't sure where contact will be made. Same with along the boards, they'll start to ease up when they see they're about to make contact with the head.

If video review shows a player tried to avoid the contact, fine. But otherwise, throw the book at him! It's the only way to solve this problem.

I mean this ends careers, also changes some people's lives permanently. This isn't being taken seriously enough. Players will adapt to the strict penalties.

After the 13 game suspension for leaving the bench came into effect, we didn't see bench clearing brawls anymore, did we!
Last edited by Port hockey1 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Oglethorp wrote: The league should adjust the instigator rule as well. I have seen a few games this year where a 4th line plug instigates a fight with the other teams top player in the 1st period. The player that was instigated upon should be allowed to return after 5 minutes and should be exempt from a suspension if in the last 10 minutes. Double the suspension for the instigator in the last 10 minutes. Fine teams after an allowable number of fights during the season like the OHL does.

I agree with that 100%

AS Dave Warren pointed out skill players (like his son) are what the league needs to promote itself as a development league and eventually be designated as Jr A. If the league continues to allow plugs to run around and injure the league skill players, they will leave for one of many Jr A leagues and the GOJHL will become a glorified Jr c loop.
Very true!
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

Dave Warren is an idiot for going to the Free Press and making a mockery out of the league. If his son didn't have a target on his head before, he certainly does now. The guy has been running around London rinks all year talking about how his son is to good for the GOJHL, yet when the Knights call him up he plays 3 shifts and sits the bench. The GOJHL is a premier league in Ontario, we as fans get to watch the next great OHL or CIS players, it will never be a glorified "C" loop as Port and Oglethorp suggests in their rant. This past week in London the Warren boy was seen running around the rink like a 3yr old...I question whether he is even hurt and this just isn't a stunt being pulled by his big mouth dad, he is known in London for being an idiot. If I remember correctly he only lasted a month or two in Lambton Shores as a coach before the players quit playing for him and the team replaced him with DD. That should say it all right there.