Maroon meltdown?

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

Maroon meltdown?

Post by Port hockey1 »

It has been said that two more players are set to leave the team. This would really hurt them after just losing Hopkins to Blenheim.

One kid has apparently already left with plans to hook up with a Jr.C team(not in the Great Lakes division).

Another is said to be leaving right behind him. The rumor there is he's headed to Blenheim or Dresden of the Great Lakes Jr.C. hockey league.

It looks like the rumors are proving to be true in Chatham. For about two years now there's been a lot of talk of players leaving to play Jr.C.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
BeenThereDoneThat

Re: Maroon meltdown?

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Its never pleasant to see a team with such storied history go through what they've gone through the last few years. I don't follow the West that closely but I"M sure given time, they will turn that ship around. :smt109
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Number one problem in Chatham = ownership
End of a era in Leamington
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Luc Knight has left for Port Stanley.

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2015/11/ ... rt-stanley

I'm reading that the other Maroon that wants to drop down is Dede Cato.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
hockeyfan77

Post by hockeyfan77 »

RocketGirl wrote:Luc Knight has left for Port Stanley.

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2015/11/ ... rt-stanley

I'm reading that the other Maroon that wants to drop down is Dede Cato.
Where are you reading that?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
hockeyfan77

Post by hockeyfan77 »

Not sure about Cato, heard it was a different player.
GOJHLFAN-999

Post by GOJHLFAN-999 »

I heard it was a different player as well. I would be surprised to see Cato leave. He appears to be on their first line defense + PP and PK.
I completely agree that ownership is the issue
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

It could be someone else, just sharing what I saw on the C board.

Speaking of players leaving, I saw this morning that Matt Clarke, from St. Thomas and brother to Strathroy's Jeff Clarke, has left the Stars and gone to Exeter Jr. C.
Queen of the GOJHL

Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

The Exeter Hawks also picked up forward David Norris from Lambton Shores. St Thomas has made some interesting moves of late. Gone are highly touted forward Brody Smith, Jesse Anderson and now Clarke. Valentini and Henderson have asked for an OHL trade from the London Knights so they maybe departing soon. Lucas Mastrianni and Ryan Van Roestel have been frequent call ups so the Stars roster may look very different in the coming weeks
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
mrunsfan

Post by mrunsfan »

Not sure about Valentini and Henderson being moved as yet. Valentini looked pretty good when he played up with the Knights who are going to need these players when the World junior's gets underway at Christmas. The Knights could use them as trade bait before the trade deadline if they want players rather than picks.
insanity

Post by insanity »

how many players wanted to leave when the Torrie family owned the team?.........yeah, that is what I thought......ZERO
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

for so many players that supposedly want out you wouldnt know it tonight cato has been seing big minutes as of late benackers has played well the last 2 games we se this every year chatham hits a slump and everyone assumes they are experts.
co founder of the pylon chant!!!!!!
GOJHLFAN-999

Post by GOJHLFAN-999 »

The facts are simple. The owner (Bill Szekesy) bought the Maroons so his son would have a place to play hockey. Now that his son is no longer on the team, he does not care two cents for the team. He spends no money on the equipment (its old, all ripped and falling apart) and care less about the players and the fans. No wonder many want to leave. Can you blame them?
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

brad 36 wrote:for so many players that supposedly want out you wouldnt know it tonight cato has been seing big minutes as of late benackers has played well the last 2 games we se this every year chatham hits a slump and everyone assumes they are experts.
Well Knight & Hopkins have already left. The Maroons also lost Verboom before, so it looks like the 'experts' are on to something.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

GOJHLFAN-999 wrote:The facts are simple. The owner (Bill Szekesy) bought the Maroons so his son would have a place to play hockey. Now that his son is no longer on the team, he does not care two cents for the team. He spends no money on the equipment (its old, all ripped and falling apart) and care less about the players and the fans. No wonder many want to leave. Can you blame them?
Couldn't of said it any better, ever since he took over the team it has basically been nothing but drama in Chatham, the sad part for the organization is they have had some very good teams that without the drama were capable of winning Championships. Now that his son is done I doubt the Maroons will get much attention, hopefully someone can buy it from him. The support is obviously there in Chatham, I don't like the Chatham fans for the most part but they sure do support there team.
End of a era in Leamington
ohaguru

Post by ohaguru »

Knight to Sailors may be a stretch. Do the Sailors have the $5K for the release? Cost the Maroons $5K to maritime team plus $2500 to Stars last season. Asking price will be similar elsewhere and I don't see Dresden putting out $10K for two players. Rumor between players in the league is Ford also but again it will come down to $$$$.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

ohaguru wrote:Knight to Sailors may be a stretch. Do the Sailors have the $5K for the release? Cost the Maroons $5K to maritime team plus $2500 to Stars last season. Asking price will be similar elsewhere and I don't see Dresden putting out $10K for two players. Rumor between players in the league is Ford also but again it will come down to $$$$.
I've heard Ford is headed to Caledonia or St.Catharines by the deadline. I've also heard Beenackers might drop down to Jr.C.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Can't understand why everyone wants out of Chatham.It sounds like Port Colborne in 2013/2014
But Chatham is still a contender.That was the last days of Port Colborne. Port Hockey knows more than i know if this is some of the same.
The JR-C Form has more guys leaving Cato, Beenackers and Fratacangelli.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

I've heard Ford is headed to Caledonia or St.Catharines by the deadline. I've also heard Beenackers might drop down to Jr.C.[/quote]

Can't see Caledonia they just picked up Daniel Volpe. St Catharines makes more sense they want some more offence.
But for Caledonia that would be a good deadline pick.
insanity

Post by insanity »

well, if it comes to be reality you can count me and my family out as season ticket holders next year
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

insanity wrote:well, if it comes to be reality you can count me and my family out as season ticket holders next year
I don't blame you.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Knight is officially back with Port Stanley, Jr.C. He played there tonight.
richard

Post by richard »

it is kind of odd that the GM resigned at same time of his arrival to play for Port Stanley?
hockeyfan77

Post by hockeyfan77 »

I wonder how some of these current vets would have felt in their rookie season if a large number of vets wanted to jump ship. Can't be good for team morale. And it isn't just Chatham I'm referring to.

Is this generation of hockey players more selfish, as in "I'm not getting what I want: sticks, money, ice time etc" so I will abandon my teammates or is there more to it?
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

Port hockey1 wrote:
brad 36 wrote:for so many players that supposedly want out you wouldnt know it tonight cato has been seing big minutes as of late benackers has played well the last 2 games we se this every year chatham hits a slump and everyone assumes they are experts.
Well Knight & Hopkins have already left. The Maroons also lost Verboom before, so it looks like the 'experts' are on to something.
You know port you are the last person i thought would be against me here.... But that being said verboom left to go to school where he was going the next year anyways as for hopkins yea i was upset to see him go but i know him well and it was what he thought was best for the team and him self.
As for luc knight he hasnt done anything all year long to really stand out alot of games he was lazy and made some very big mistakes that cost chatham heavily at times. his head just wasnt in it this year.

And last but not least to end the cato leaving crap that is flying around you should all know this i know dede well and i can honetly say that he is NOT going back to dresden nor is benackers jumping ship either.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

brad 36 wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:
You know port you are the last person i thought would be against me here.... But that being said verboom left to go to school where he was going the next year anyways as for hopkins yea i was upset to see him go but i know him well and it was what he thought was best for the team and him self.
As for luc knight he hasnt done anything all year long to really stand out alot of games he was lazy and made some very big mistakes that cost chatham heavily at times. his head just wasnt in it this year.

And last but not least to end the cato leaving crap that is flying around you should all know this i know dede well and i can honetly say that he is NOT going back to dresden nor is benackers jumping ship either.
I'm not against you, it's just troubling to see some of these kids leaving. There's still a great core of players there, hopefully they can continue winning.

But hearing that at least two more might leave, that's getting me a little unsettled.
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

the changes that have happened so far tho have benefited the team for the most part I think we will be just fine it is going to suck however having dede suspended for 2 games when the opponent only got one when he should have had a minimum of 2 games as well but we all know jr b reffing is terrible at best hopefully the boys play well and together for a full 60 minutes against the flyers we are missing some key players but if they stick together and play there game they can beat leamington plus being in our barn definatly helps
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

brad 36 wrote:the changes that have happened so far tho have benefited the team for the most part I think we will be just fine it is going to suck however having dede suspended for 2 games when the opponent only got one when he should have had a minimum of 2 games as well but we all know jr b reffing is terrible at best hopefully the boys play well and together for a full 60 minutes against the flyers we are missing some key players but if they stick together and play there game they can beat leamington plus being in our barn definatly helps
You were right about being able to beat Leamington. I was getting worried but this big win has eased my mind a bit. The youngsters are playing great hockey, having Johnston back is a huge plus too.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

I saw on the Great Lakes JR C forum that Logan Percy have left the Maroons.