Trouble in Leamington?

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

Trouble in Leamington?

Post by RocketGirl »

Trevor Wheaton is reportedly going to Essex Jr. C. It appears that he's not a fan of Piroski rotating the goalies and wanted to be No 1 and asked for a guaranteed 40 starts this season, which they wouldn't comply and he's now signed, or going to sign, with Essex 73's.

Blaine Bechard has gone to Amherstburg Admirals of the Great Lakes Jr. C as well.

And I see this morning that Jacob McGhee has been named Captain for this upcoming season. Amante is a 95, so where did he go?
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
flyers2011

Re: Trouble in Leamington?

Post by flyers2011 »

Wheaton was not very smart to think he would get guarenteed games. As for going to essex they rotate goalies as well. And rg if you were as smart as you let on youd realize piroski has never kept a captain for more then one season. Always rotates them and amante will be back as an assistant captain. Things are just fine for the 2 time defending conference champs
End of a era in Leamington
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

And as for bechard. Anyone that saw him in the playoffs last season can understand why he will not be in leamington next season. No brainer
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I'm just passing on what I've been reading on the C board, you don't need to get defensive about it.

Changing captains just to change them isn't a very smart idea, at least in my opinion.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

I've heard about some 6'7" power forward they are trying to sign. With Tony behind the bench, they should be a contender every year. Big, Big shoes to fill for the GM spot. Mike Sadler did a heck of a job getting them players. I'm sure he will still direct a few their way.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Well the captain thing has worked pretty damn good for piroski so far.
RecKing

Post by RecKing »

As for the Flyers' captain - Piroski hinted at the year-end banquet that he was considering McGhee as a captain. Leamington has seldom had a captain of more than a two year term. Realistically, by rotating it, older players who are deserving of the role obtain their chance to show and develop their leadership skills and most Jr. B teams do this since very few players stay with one team for more than 3 years.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

I see what this is, it has been pointed out that there's trouble in Strathroy. So this is supposed to be revenge. Funny stuff. But flyers2011 makes some good points. Bechard looked lost and frustrated in the Suthie finals, and Essex does in fact rotate goalies as well.

If the kids happier in C, go for it, he gets an extra year. I also agree that its hard to call this trouble when you consider Leamington's recent success. Two different situations...Haven't the Strathroy Rockets been losing solid players to Jr.C for a few years now? Thornton, Cole, ext. Just my thoughts.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

You ever heard the phrase, what's good for the goose is good for the gander? The 2 of you have been implying for months now that there are so many problems in Strathroy and making it sound like we're having a mass exodus.

You claim that we've lost solid players to Jr C the last few years, yet only give me 2 examples. What others have we lost? Yes, we lost Coleman and Thornton last year, and yes perhaps they could have helped us, but they didn't want to play Jr. B hockey. We're losing 1 this year due to his work commitments, and you can't fault him for that. We potentially might lose another one, it's still up in the air, but I'm not sure I'd classify him as a solid player.

And you can't tell me that losing Wheaton isn't going to hurt. Yes he's a loose cannon, but he's a strong goalie. He's been the top goaltender in our league for 2 years now.
Queen of the GOJHL

Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Losing Wheaton will hurt for sure. Now they're scrambling to make sure their goaltending will be alright.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Yes losing wheaton will hurt. But with barrett coming back i think they will be fine. The flyers good defence will help. Flyers have had the lowest goals against for 5 straight years now i believe. Im very confident with piroski's connections and positive former gm mike sadler is helping in the search that things will work out.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

flyers2011 wrote:Yes losing wheaton will hurt. But with barrett coming back i think they will be fine. The flyers good defence will help. Flyers have had the lowest goals against for 5 straight years now i believe. Im very confident with piroski's connections and positive former gm mike sadler is helping in the search that things will work out.
For sure, like I said, two completely different situations.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Just because you say it's different doesn't make it different.

Strathroy had players that were not happy and got pissed off and quit to go play Jr. C hockey.

Leamington has players that are clearly not happy, and are pissed off, and have quit to go play Jr. C hockey.

Sounds the same to me, but however you want to spin it boys. At the end of the day, we'll see how things shape up when the season starts.

I'm not denying the fact that the Flyers are in contention for a 3-pete. They had very few graduate and the biggest hole to fill now is Wheaton. I know that Barrett is more than capable of doing the job, but he can't play all 50 games, plus play-offs.
Queen of the GOJHL

flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Sounds like thats what your hoping compared to actual facts. Yeah wheaton wants to be a number one goalie and is now playing for his hometown and gets an extra year. Leamington has had the top goalies for 5 years in a row now. Unlike strathroy things are just fine for the defending conference champs
leafs63

Post by leafs63 »

With the price to play in the B loop now, you may see more B player that are 20 dropping back to the C loop just because of cost and an extra bonus of an overage year .
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Yup I agree Leafs63. I am sure some owners with money might pay the fee for the players but teams with not a lot of money wont be able to
rhinomark50

Post by rhinomark50 »

From what I have heard, Bechard didn't quit, he was told loud and clear that he would not be returning next season after causing yet another game ending goal. Just what I've heard though, he wasn't coming back even if he wanted.

As for goaltending I wouldn't be shocked to see Barrett and Wall as the goaltending duo next season, but who knows really.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Thanks for clearing up the bechard situation for a few people. I personally think they will snag another goalie from there states. They got a pretty good couple contacts over there.