16 year old cards

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Oglethorp

16 year old cards

Post by Oglethorp »

Many 16 year olds are finding that every team they talk to has 3 cards this year. Since they are only allotted 2 cards why is it that none of them have only 1 or 0? In fairness to players going through this why doesn't the league provide information so that younger players are protected and can make informed decisions about where to try out? My oldest son went through this in his 16 year old year only to find out that the team he was trying out for had only 1 card after saying they had 2. They committed their only card to a player and then just strung the other 16 year olds along thinking they would all come back to tryout as a 17 year olds. I think 2 might have because they were local. Mine didn't because there is no trust. In my view this is s lose/lose when teams lie about what availability they have. The team loses respect and the player may lose a year of development. Before someone states the obvious retort, playing another year of midget or dropping to JrC for a year does have a huge impact on the players involved. The impact is very often negative.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.