OHF knocks Tecumseh Chiefs out of the Great Lakes

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

flyers2011

OHF knocks Tecumseh Chiefs out of the Great Lakes

Post by flyers2011 »

OHF has ruled and the Tecumseh Chiefs are out in the Great Lakes Junior C League. Quite an interesting turn of events. For more on this check out the Junior C forum
End of a era in Leamington
OffTheRecord

Re: OHF knocks Tecumseh Chiefs out of the Great Lakes

Post by OffTheRecord »

What is the forum link please?
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Tecumseh team in limbo after OHF overturns decision to award franchise

Jim Parker, The Windsor Star
Jun 11, 2015 - 9:33 PM EDT
Last Updated: Jun 11, 2015 - 11:40 PM EDT

The future of the Tecumseh Chiefs in the Great Lakes Junior C Hockey League is now in limbo.

On Thursday, the Ontario Hockey Federation overturned the Ontario Hockey Association’s decision to grant Tecumseh an expansion franchise in the Great Lakes Junior C Hockey League.

“We got the news this morning that our appeal was upheld,” Lakeshore Canadiens general manager Mark Seguin said. “To be clear, the appeal was against the OHA and not Tecumseh.”

Tecumseh had originally applied to the Great Lakes Junior C Hockey League to become its 10th franchise, but that application was denied in a vote of league teams.

In turn, Tecumseh then went to the OHA to apply for a franchise in the Great Lakes Junior C Hockey League and in April was granted an expansion team for the 2015-16.

“(The OHA) misinterpreted the constitution,” Seguin said. “The league denied (the application) and the OHA went against the constitution and the OHF agreed (with the appeal) and upheld it.”

Tecumseh co-owner and director of hockey operations Greg Prymack referred all questions to the OHA at this point. OHA chief executive officer Scott Farley said the organization will wait until Friday to comment on the matter.

The club has already held a minicamp that attracted 92 players and had announced its first signing for the team.

“I believe the OHA can appeal to Hockey Canada, but I don’t know their intentions,” Seguin said.

The league has not had 10 franchises since the Walpole Island Hawks folded in 1999.

“The Tecumseh guys are good, but this was about the OHA trying to push people around,” Seguin said. “If they were successful on this, what’s next?

“The other thing is we don’t want to water down the league. We’ve had times where we’ve gone to 10 teams and it’s just not sustainable. History has shown this is a nine-team league.

“There’s no disputing there’s not as many kids playing hockey now and the talent level is not what it was six or seven years and we have a responsibility to keep a good product on the ice. This was a big decision both ways.”
Blades

Post by Blades »

What I think this is mostly likely about is certain teams who have been powerhouses in the league, are afraid of sharing the talent pool at that end of the league. Considering the population in that neck of the woods, I don't think it would really have been that terrible should the league expand to 10. What it might do is bring some parity to that league rather than the winner being 1 of 2 or 3 teams.
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

The "water down the league" part was interesting. Isn't the league already top heavy? Would a 10th team not balance that a little more?
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Kingsville, Amherstburg, Essex, Lakeshore, Wheatley, Lasalle, Leamington are Triple A programs are all very close, I think the feeling is another team just waters it down even more. But the main reason this happened is because the OHA went against the League's constitution and the appeal was against the OHA and not the Tecumseh Chiefs.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

and Triple A programs
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

http://www.network54.com/Forum/626310/
That's the forum link, quite interesting conversations going on
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

flyers2011 wrote:Kingsville, Amherstburg, Essex, Lakeshore, Wheatley, Lasalle, Leamington are Triple A programs are all very close, I think the feeling is another team just waters it down even more. But the main reason this happened is because the OHA went against the League's constitution and the appeal was against the OHA and not the Tecumseh Chiefs.
I understand that, and obviously the right choice was made in the end. I was just a little surprised so many objected to this team in the first place. I guess they know what they're doing, they know a lot more about the league than I do. :)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

The real issue is trying to build and maintain a healthy league. Like a chain the league is only as strong as its weakest link. Performances from teams like Mooretown and Wallaceburg show either an imbalance of strength or the league is watered down too much. In contrast the SOJHL has only one team that is never competitive. Both leagues would benefit by setting the bar higher, contract to 8 teams and only allow 4 or 6 to make it into the post season.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Hockey Canada denies OHA appeal to put Junior C hockey team in Tecumseh

The Windsor Star
Jim Parker

There will be no Tecumseh Chiefs team in the Great Lakes Junior C Hockey League this season.

On Monday, Hockey Canada upheld the ruling by the Ontario Hockey Federation to overturn the Ontario Hockey Association decision to grant Tecumseh an expansion team in the Great Lakes Junior C Hockey League for 2015-16.

“It’s back to the drawing board,” Chiefs co-owner and director of hockey operations Greg Prymack said. “I really don’t know (what’s next).

“We’ll meet with the OHA (Tuesday) and see where it leaves us, but it’s obviously not a good position.”

The Great Lakes Junior C Hockey League voted down an application by Tecumseh for an expansion team. The would-be club then turned to the OHA, which felt it had final say in such requests, and approved the application.

The league then turned to the OHF, which ruled the OHA had overstepped its boundaries by not accepting the league vote.

The OHA appealed the decision to Hockey Canada, which upheld the OHF’s decision. While there will be no team in Tecumseh this season, Prymack has not ruled out another attempt.

“Our goal is still to bring junior C hockey to Tecumseh,” Prymack said.