Thoughts on Chatham

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

Thoughts on Chatham

Post by Port hockey1 »

With Patterson being brought in it makes for some interesting possibilities. The Maroons could part ways with Lucier and have the best 1-2 goaltending in the league...Or, they could possibly trade Bessette.

Bessette is a 94 and has very high value with the numbers he's put up this season. Lucier is a 95 and has another year left. He's a more than capable backup. So here's what I'm thinking. Sarnia needs a goalie, badly. Their goalies just aren't getting it done. But the question is what will they give back...

My idea is sending Bessette & Morgan to Sarnia for Cody Trowell. Anyone think they'd bite? Bessette gives them a number 1 goalie while Morgan might spark their struggling offense. Morgan has struggled to produce this season, he has a pair of assists in his last 5 games. And please don't say Johnson is capable in Sarnia, he hasn't been the same since he went to the Shoe.

Note: The title is "thoughts on Chatham". So please don't complain about this being 'all about Chatham'. :)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Blades

Re: Thoughts on Chatham

Post by Blades »

I would be very surprised if Sarnia gives up Trowell. He's done nothing but get better as time has gone by.
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
Lilomnivore

Post by Lilomnivore »

Port hockey1 wrote: Lucier is a 95 and has another year left. He's a more than capable backup.
If they keep Lucier the walls of the barn will burn down. I highly doubt he will stay.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Chatham would be crazy to keep Lucier, if they do have Patterson and he got hurt, pretty sure they would rather have bessette then Lucier. Lucier will probably end up in C somewhere.
End of a era in Leamington
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

Lucier would more than likely go to either dresden or blenhiem in the jr c would be my guess
co founder of the pylon chant!!!!!!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Well, it was just a thought. I got some interesting replies. Some good points too.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
RecKing

Paterson's Numbers

Post by RecKing »

Here are some stats on Jake Patterson:

OHL: reg. season: 77 games played, record: 43-17-1-4 shutouts - 5 2.86 goals against ave.
playoffs: 10 games played, record 5-4 3.73 goals against ave.

Jr. B (with London 2011/12) reg. season: 4 games played 0-3 6.50 goals against ave. 80. 4 save percentage
playoffs: 1 game played (in Sutherland Cup vs St. Catharines) - 7 minutes played 2 goals against
16.78 goals against ave.
OJHL (Hamilton Red Wings 2010/11): 8 games played 6-1-0 record; 3.49 goals against ave. 87.5 save percentage 1 shutout

Decent but not overwhelming , but certainly would be a better backup than Lucier.
Port hockey1

Re: Paterson's Numbers

Post by Port hockey1 »

RecKing wrote:Here are some stats on Jake Patterson:

OHL: reg. season: 77 games played, record: 43-17-1-4 shutouts - 5 2.86 goals against ave.
playoffs: 10 games played, record 5-4 3.73 goals against ave.

Jr. B (with London 2011/12) reg. season: 4 games played 0-3 6.50 goals against ave. 80. 4 save percentage
playoffs: 1 game played (in Sutherland Cup vs St. Catharines) - 7 minutes played 2 goals against
16.78 goals against ave.
OJHL (Hamilton Red Wings 2010/11): 8 games played 6-1-0 record; 3.49 goals against ave. 87.5 save percentage 1 shutout

Decent but not overwhelming , but certainly would be a better backup than Lucier.
Backup...I just choked on my coffee. His junior numbers are from before he established himself in the OHL. Since then he has played on one of the top teams in Canada. He's been recently mentored by Stolarz & Bailie. He's played against the best players in Canada at the Memorial Cup.

I don't mean to sound rude, but your comment was just foolish. I'm not going to argue...I'll just wait until March, his numbers will do the talking.

Again...I'm almost speechless after reading your post.
Last edited by Port hockey1 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhinomark50

Post by rhinomark50 »

Backup...I just choked on my coffee. His junior numbers are from before he established himself in the OHL. Since then he has played on one of the top teams on Canada. He's been recently mentored by Stolarz & Bailie. He's played against the best players in Canada at the Memorial Cup.

I don't mean to sound rude, but your comment was just foolish. I'm not going to argue...I'll just wait until March, his numbers will do the talking.

This is also a guy who "retired" because he didn't want to compete for a spot. He may very well be a great Jr B goalie when he shows up but the Hunters clearly didn't trust him enough to hand him the number one role. If you read any Knights board for the last few seasons no fan was excited to have him as a number one heading into this season either.

He was a decent goalie on great teams. He'll obviously be #1 if he comes in, though I don't see the logic behind it since Bessette is definitely capable and seems like a waste of money. If they dvd up winning it all for Steven it'll all be worth it though.
mrunsfan

Post by mrunsfan »

Might as well add my thoughts to this topic, as a fan of both the Maroons and Knights.
Patterson wasn.t just competing for a goal tending position but for an over-age spot as well. Unlike Jr.B the OHL can only carry three over-age players and with players like Mermis, the Rupert twins, Welychka also over-age, he had pretty stiff competition there. Also add to the mix the Knights needed to get a young goal-tender for the future. IMO Patterson could see the writing on the wall, hence his "retirement".

As far as his junior performance goes, I think his OHL performance counts for more attention. He certainly performed very well during the Stollarz injury and then followed that up with outstanding netminding during the Stollarz suspension. Sure he can sometimes be hot and cold but that,s why you have a good tender for backup. I hope he doesn,t take a lot of time getting rid of the rust because ideally the goaltenders should be able to share the load and push each other. The last thing a team needs at playoff time is a burnt out goalie. For myself anyway Welcome to Chatham Jake.
rhinomark50

Post by rhinomark50 »

mrunsfan wrote:I hope he doesn,t take a lot of time getting rid of the rust because ideally the goaltenders should be able to share the load and push each other. The last thing a team needs at playoff time is a burnt out goalie. For myself anyway Welcome to Chatham Jake.
This is definitely ideal. Leamington has shown it the last few years that having 2 excellent goaltenders beats having 1 excellent goaltender. The question becomes if Bessette is ok with playing 2nd fiddle. There is no way Patterson comes in if he is not guaranteed the bulk of the starts, Bessette said he welcomes the addition, and I hope that that is the case, unhappy goalies are never a good situation.

Its a great addition to a strong team, hopefully he can get back into shape sooner than later and we can have some classic goaltending duals in the home/home in early December with Leamington.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

rhinomark50 wrote:
Backup...I just choked on my coffee. His junior numbers are from before he established himself in the OHL. Since then he has played on one of the top teams on Canada. He's been recently mentored by Stolarz & Bailie. He's played against the best players in Canada at the Memorial Cup.

This is also a guy who "retired" because he didn't want to compete for a spot. He may very well be a great Jr B goalie when he shows up but the Hunters clearly didn't trust him enough to hand him the number one role. If you read any Knights board for the last few seasons no fan was excited to have him as a number one heading into this season either.

He was a decent goalie on great teams. He'll obviously be #1 if he comes in, though I don't see the logic behind it since Bessette is definitely capable and seems like a waste of money. If they dvd up winning it all for Steven it'll all be worth it though.
Actually I was reading along as the Knight's fans were whining about him when their starter got suspended last year.

I then read where other Knight's fans were saying he was their savior earlier that season. Some love certain guys while others hate them.

Like I said, we'll let his numbers talk. :)
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

rhinomark50 wrote:
mrunsfan wrote:I hope he doesn,t take a lot of time getting rid of the rust because ideally the goaltenders should be able to share the load and push each other. The last thing a team needs at playoff time is a burnt out goalie. For myself anyway Welcome to Chatham Jake.
This is definitely ideal. Leamington has shown it the last few years that having 2 excellent goaltenders beats having 1 excellent goaltender. The question becomes if Bessette is ok with playing 2nd fiddle. There is no way Patterson comes in if he is not guaranteed the bulk of the starts, Bessette said he welcomes the addition, and I hope that that is the case, unhappy goalies are never a good situation.

Its a great addition to a strong team, hopefully he can get back into shape sooner than later and we can have some classic goaltending duals in the home/home in early December with Leamington.
In the article on the Chatham daily news website, Bessette said he only cares about winning. He welcomed the competition.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I could be wrong in this thinking, but I doubt that Chatham went out and spent whatever it took to get Jake Patterson, for him to sit on the bench as a back up. We all know that Bessette is very capable of doing the job, he has so far, they're only 1 point out of 2nd place, so I would not be surprised if the Maroons rotate the goalies for each game. That's just my opinion though.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Natrat

Post by Natrat »

$16,000 lol what a joke
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Natrat wrote:$16,000 lol what a joke
Yeah, that is a joke, there was no $16k spent.
rhinomark50

Post by rhinomark50 »

Port hockey1 wrote:
Natrat wrote:$16,000 lol what a joke
Yeah, that is a joke, there was no $16k spent.
None of us will ever know how much was given to Patterson, so lets not make assumptions. Maybe he got $500, maybe he got $5000, who cares.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I feel I should clarify that I wasn't specifically talking a dollar amount when I said what was spent on getting Patterson. I also meant the time and energy put into trying to get him to sign a card as well.

With that said, I've heard it was $15,000.00, which is the standard Maroon price for a player, isn't it?
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

15,000 sounds about right, would love to know how much they spent on that losing team from last season.
End of a era in Leamington
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

flyers2011 wrote:15,000 sounds about right, would love to know how much they spent on that losing team from last season.
Probably around the same as Caledonia, St.Catharines, Essex, Aurora ext. I can tell you're not very old. You really get off on kids losing and not fulfilling their dream.