Checking from behind Game misconduct

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

Checking from behind Game misconduct

Post by Port hockey1 »

I think it's time to update the call given for checking from behind from a 2:00 penalty to an automatic 5:00 major & a game misconduct.

These kids have been taught not to hit the numbers since peewee. It shows a total lack of respect, and it can be deadly.

So far there have been 106 games played across the league this month. There has been a combined 49 checking from behind penalties called during those games. 5 of them majors, and 1 match penalty.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
sam

Re: Checking from behind Game misconduct

Post by sam »

From the few games I watched this year and other years ,most of those checking from behind penalties are simple rub outs on the boards and not really a hit at all.The junior A games I go to here in the valley ,that call is non existant.I did notice up there in the GOHA league a lot of bad feelings between the teams and towns .One exhibition game I went to were 16 year olds were trying out ,20 year olds were linning them up trying to finnish their hockey carrier,and these kids had not even made the team yet .We have one referee system here and about 25 percent of the whistles and a lot more respect for other players and the ref as well ,he is very social and the coaches can talk to him without getting called .
sam
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

http://localsportsreport.com/gojhl/2014 ... ind-major/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's one to check out from the Strathroy at LaSalle match in LaSalle on Wednesday.
Blades

Post by Blades »

Marcie wrote:http://localsportsreport.com/gojhl/2014 ... ind-major/

Here's one to check out from the Strathroy at LaSalle match in LaSalle on Wednesday.
OUCH!!! I think what would tip the scales for me in making at least a call would be that the Rockets player used his gloved hand on the Vipers player's head and pushed him what looks to be head first into the glass. It also looks to me like both the Strathroy & LaSalle player were facing into the boards/glass before contact was made. Whether or not there was "intent" or whether it was just a player making a play, I'd say it would deserve at least 2 minute boarding and a two minute head contact with it's accompanying 10 minute misconduct. Now mind you, I'm not anything more than a fan of the game and still have to have things explained to me by those who actually know the game and/or officiated in games. So it's JMHO.
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
DMighton

Post by DMighton »

Was at the game... it happened so fast, I looked down for a second at my camera, all I heard was the crunch of the hit... a lot of very angry people after that.

Fifteen years ago that was a line brawl. I've watched the video a few times now... I agree with the call. That is how you break someone's neck. Intent or not, heat of the moment... either way he should be gone after a hit like that.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Marcie wrote:http://localsportsreport.com/gojhl/2014 ... ind-major/

I saw a hit from behind, but that should've been a 2:00 call based on our currant rules. Still glad to see a 5 called whenever that happens though. At least then you know it probably wasn't intentional when it happens.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

I've noticed attempt to injure match penalties have been handed out like candy canes lately.

What the h*ll is wrong with some of these kids!!!!
Blades

Post by Blades »

Port hockey1 wrote:I've noticed attempt to injure match penalties have been handed out like candy canes lately.

What the h*ll is wrong with some of these kids!!!!
I don't know if it's just the kids so much as perhaps a combination of refs calling it more often, and various reasons on the part of the players.
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
rhinomark50

Post by rhinomark50 »

I would say from what I have seen, it is a lot of refs playing it safe. Some are definite calls, but I've seen some trips called checking from behind because the ref was out of position and didn't see what happened, just the noise of the guy running into the boards.

It happens, its a tough job. I do agree that there needs to be a lot more thought by players when heading into the boards with an opposing player. There are moments where simple board play turns dangerous now because a lack of respect from the player shoving the guy from behind into the boards. Its not a check from behind, but I am seeing more and more of an attempt to shove the guy instead of angling and going into the boards with the guy.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I was going to make that comment, that sometimes the refs call the penalties worse than they really are. Safety is obviously the No. 1 concern of, not just the OHA, but everybody, but, in my opinion, sometimes the calls are a little overkill.

Now, I wasn't at the game in LaSalle on Wed., but according to the radio announcers, they said it appeared that the kid from the Vipers had hit a rut in the ice and was already on his way down when MacAulay hit him. Because I have that preconceived idea in my head, that's how I saw the video that's posted on the blog. That doesn't mean it was any less serious than it was, but that's how I saw it, and that's how the radio announcers saw it live.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:I was going to make that comment, that sometimes the refs call the penalties worse than they really are. Safety is obviously the No. 1 concern of, not just the OHA, but everybody, but, in my opinion, sometimes the calls are a little overkill.

Now, I wasn't at the game in LaSalle on Wed., but according to the radio announcers, they said it appeared that the kid from the Vipers had hit a rut in the ice and was already on his way down when MacAulay hit him. Because I have that preconceived idea in my head, that's how I saw the video that's posted on the blog. That doesn't mean it was any less serious than it was, but that's how I saw it, and that's how the radio announcers saw it live.
I agree that there was probably no intent on that play. But accident or not, the call needs to be made. Just like when a guys stick clips another player by accident, the call is made regardless.

ON another note, Strathroy has been one of the hottest teams in the league lately. They've really turned things around. Things seemed to change after they traded their goalie. Must have woke the room up. :)