Davis

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

Davis

Post by Port hockey1 »

Anyone read M.Davis's comments in the Chatham Daily News? Unreal, he basically blames Leamington, saying he wouldn't have protested those games and has never protested in his career. He said that's twice they've done this to us in a year.(not exact wording)

He sarcastically said Leamington is perfect, they make no mistakes. He said 'they're the cream of the crop'.

Davis admitted it was his fault as well. Why sling mud at Leamington, it isn't their fault that he dressed a suspended player. C'mon Davis, man up and get some class. :oops:
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
flyers2011

Re: Davis

Post by flyers2011 »

I agree Port, any team in the league would of protested this game, it is a shame that he has run Chatham through the mud, some people may not agree with me but I still say he is the only thing holding the maroons back.
End of a era in Leamington
Blades

Post by Blades »

Port hockey1 wrote:Anyone read M.Davis's comments in the Chatham Daily News? Unreal, he basically blames Leamington, saying he wouldn't have protested those games and has never protested in his career. He said that's twice they've done this to us in a year.(not exact wording)

He sarcastically said Leamington is perfect, they make no mistakes. He said 'they're the cream of the crop'.

Davis admitted it was his fault as well. Why sling mud at Leamington, it isn't their fault that he dressed a suspended player. C'mon Davis, man up and get some class. :oops:
Davis protests all the time -- during the game, between periods, after the game is over -- to anyone who might listen and to those who don't wish to but are within hearing range. He makes his opinions known loud and clear, clear all the way over to the other side of a rink cause I've heard him. I would just as soon not hear him.
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
Wardsville

Post by Wardsville »

Class and Davis in the same sentence?? Typical mark Davis crap
slap-shot

Post by slap-shot »

in Monday's Chatham paper
http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2014/09/ ... gionnaires" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I seem to remember a coach in Sarnia that yelled and screamed and belittle his players all the time ( Jeff Perry ) and got him nowhere but fired, Davis has a room of 20 yr olds that will shut down pretty fast to his antics of yelling. The team will be playing afraid of being yelled at and start holding their sticks a little tighter, trying not to make mistakes for fear of the yell fest, not a good thing. That may have been the way 15-20 years ago but that will not work anymore. He should look at himself since he was the one suspended and not able to be on the bench and coach the game.
Blades hit the nail on the head, he whines and complains all the time and that encourages his players to do the same, what is funny is to watch him pout when he leans on the back of the bench with arms folded, he looks like a 5 yr old
Drop the puck, the playoffs are here
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I sometimes wish this was Facebook and there was a like button. :)
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:I sometimes wish this was Facebook and there was a like button. :)
I think that all the time. That would be nice. :D
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Blades

Post by Blades »

Some boards have features such as giving reputation (a good thing to get) and others use a karma (good or bad) system. I don't know if this board has such a feature, but it could be interesting if we did.
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

slap-shot wrote:in Monday's Chatham paper
http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2014/09/ ... gionnaires" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I seem to remember a coach in Sarnia that yelled and screamed and belittle his players all the time ( Jeff Perry ) and got him nowhere but fired, Davis has a room of 20 yr olds that will shut down pretty fast to his antics of yelling. The team will be playing afraid of being yelled at and start holding their sticks a little tighter, trying not to make mistakes for fear of the yell fest, not a good thing. That may have been the way 15-20 years ago but that will not work anymore. He should look at himself since he was the one suspended and not able to be on the bench and coach the game.
Blades hit the nail on the head, he whines and complains all the time and that encourages his players to do the same, what is funny is to watch him pout when he leans on the back of the bench with arms folded, he looks like a 5 yr old
Interesting comment. Davis reminds me of Rob Hubbert. Former Port Colborne & Welland coach who now coaches in Fort Erie.

He's known as a man that can be heard across arenas. He's known for forcing players that don't give a full effort to skate until they're ready to drop.

These are qualities that can make or break a person at this level. Hubbert for example is known for turning a 5th-6th type of team into a contender come playoff time. His in your face coaching style has carried underdogs to the finals many times. It has also cost him his job more than once.

Some kids get it and work that much harder, others figure they don't have to put up with it and will either quit or ask for a trade. It also puts them under a tremendous amount of stress. That is something the players could do without, but it also might help them deal with things later in life.

I guess my point is, a yelling coach can get the most out of certain groups, but he can also lose other groups attention and respect.

I've seen the loud and the quiet come and go. I don't think a coaches voice makes much of a difference. It's about earning your players respect while showing them rules will be enforced at the same time.

Just thought I'd post my thoughts, I enjoyed your comment and it got me thinking. :)
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

Port that's the first thing you've said in a while that I agree with you about. You have to be able to adapt to the kids on the team or it's boom or bust. I know he isn't popular on this board but I expect mark to get the best out of team because kids play hard for him.
slap-shot

Post by slap-shot »

I am hearing some rumors regarding Davis, Port you seem to have an inside scoop on Chatham, have you heard anything ? I'm not trying to start anything on here only heard some things nothing confirmed yet
Drop the puck, the playoffs are here
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

slap-shot wrote:I am hearing some rumors regarding Davis, Port you seem to have an inside scoop on Chatham, have you heard anything ? I'm not trying to start anything on here only heard some things nothing confirmed yet
I've heard what I'd like to call rumors...But I'm always hearing rumors and most are just b.s.

But I've heard something interesting...Just waiting to see what happens.(Not sure if we're on the same page)
Dr. Pepper

Post by Dr. Pepper »

slap-shot wrote:I am hearing some rumors regarding Davis, Port you seem to have an inside scoop on Chatham, have you heard anything ? I'm not trying to start anything on here only heard some things nothing confirmed yet
Please share so we can all enjoy
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

I have zero inside information but if I had to guess I'd say Davis is gone before the Holidays unless things drastically change for the better!
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

I really hope chatham keeps Davis for the season, it makes it a lot better for the rest of the league with him there screwing up the maroons. If they ever got a good coach look out
End of a era in Leamington