Maroons rumor

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

Maroons rumor

Post by Port hockey1 »

Rumors going around are saying Chatham might pick up defense-men Dede Cato, he recently left a Toronto team(at a lower level) and is a Chatham native.

If Chatham signs him I'm told they have to make a cut. Should be interesting.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
brad 36

Re: Maroons rumor

Post by brad 36 »

Dede would be a nice addition to the maroons if they do manage to pick him up
co founder of the pylon chant!!!!!!
mrunsfan

Post by mrunsfan »

Another defense would be great but then who do you cut? If the rumor is true it would have to be a forward as only 6 defense are listed on the roster.
rhinomark50

Post by rhinomark50 »

Cato has been practicing with Chatham and has 3-4 different teams looking at him.

Also Tier 2 Jr A is hardly a lower level but to each their own.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

rhinomark50 wrote:Cato has been practicing with Chatham and has 3-4 different teams looking at him.

Also Tier 2 Jr A is hardly a lower level but to each their own.
It was the rumor I heard, maybe look the word 'rumor' up online.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
rhinomark50

Post by rhinomark50 »

Not sure what you're getting defensive over? That i said he was practising with the Maroons or that i said Tier 2 JR A isn't a lesser level of hockey.

Either way, no need to get defensive when nothing i said discredited anything you posted. Just that he is free to sign with whomever he wants but its highly likely Chatham will make room for him as they should.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

rhinomark50 wrote:Not sure what you're getting defensive over? That i said he was practising with the Maroons or that i said Tier 2 JR A isn't a lesser level of hockey.

Either way, no need to get defensive when nothing i said discredited anything you posted. Just that he is free to sign with whomever he wants but its highly likely Chatham will make room for him as they should.
Well I didn't hear where he came from. I only heard it was from a lower level. Thank you for correcting me, I just took your last line as being sarcastic. No big deal though, thanks for replying. :)
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

OJHL Transactions page show that he was assigned to Chatham by the Patriots. This usually means they paid the $1,500 to get him so I'm guessing it's a done deal.

Toronto Patriots 09/19/14 DEL Cato, Dede (F) assigned to Chatham (Jr. B)
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

GoWest wrote:OJHL Transactions page show that he was assigned to Chatham by the Patriots. This usually means they paid the $1,500 to get him so I'm guessing it's a done deal.

Toronto Patriots 09/19/14 DEL Cato, Dede (F) assigned to Chatham (Jr. B)

Some have been saying it's a done deal for a few days now. Others are saying that isn't true. According to the rumors, he's 99% likely to be a Maroon. I guess we'll see.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

According to a post on the Great Lakes Jr. C forum on Sun., CKSN spoke to both Cato and Davis and he hadn't signed, as of Sun. It's now Tues. and it may be done.

I don't doubt that Davis wants this kid, but remember, they only have 25 cards for the season, and they've already used 23.

Edit: My bad, teams get 35 cards now, so they have 30 cards to work with. I know they used to only get 30, and that's where I got that from.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

And it certainly seems that the Maroons would like to sign another goaltender, so they would have to leave one card open for him. However, a team can trade for cards. Don't know if the OHA would allow Chatham to do that.
Last edited by Marcie on Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ah-chielove

Post by ah-chielove »

Marcie wrote:And it certainly seems that the Maroons would like to sign another goaltender, so they would have to leave one card open for him. However, a team can trade for cards. Don't know if the OHA would Chatham to do that.
I hope that doesn't happen. If the OHA did allow Chatham to trade for cards (to skirt around the punishment meted out last season for their breaking the rules) that would be disgusting IMO.

Chatham should have to be required to serve the full brunt of the disciplinary action, as it was proscribed last year. Anything less would be an injustice. You do the "crime"... you should do the time!

- Ah-chie
shady

Post by shady »

Wow you people all have your knickers in a twist over nothing . Chatham hasn't used all their cards yet , So what the hell is the problem ?
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

ah-chielove wrote:
Marcie wrote:And it certainly seems that the Maroons would like to sign another goaltender, so they would have to leave one card open for him. However, a team can trade for cards. Don't know if the OHA would Chatham to do that.
I hope that doesn't happen. If the OHA did allow Chatham to trade for cards (to skirt around the punishment meted out last season for their breaking the rules) that would be disgusting IMO.

Chatham should have to be required to serve the full brunt of the disciplinary action, as it was proscribed last year. Anything less would be an injustice. You do the "crime"... you should do the time!

- Ah-chie
But they'd have to give to get. Meaning the cards aren't free. So why wouldn't they be allowed to trade for cards? If not for the sanctions, they'd have the cards already. They still have to take a setback to get them.

But as Shady said, nobody has said anything about needing cards. Lets not get that far ahead. :)
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

done deal dede is now a maroon

Chatham’s Dede Cato has signed with the Chatham Maroons, after much speculation this week of where the highly sought after 1997 born prospect would land.

“The Maroons are very pleased to have Dede on the team and he will play this Saturday in Lambton Shores,” said Maroons assistant general manager Bill Cumming.

Cato, who was the Dresden Jr. Kings rookie of the year last season, signed with the OJHL’s Toronto Patriots in the offseason, but left the Junior A club early in the season for personal reasons.

With the Kings last season, Cato, a smooth skating defenseman, who also plays forward, scored 10 goals and 19 assists in 40 games as a rookie. This season, Cato played 3 games with the Toronto Patriots, registering an assist before leaving the team.

In the offseason, Cato attended the mini-camps for both the North Bay Battalion and Kitchener Rangers, being invited to main camp for both OHL teams. He attended the Rangers’ camp, but was subsequently released.

To get down to their 23-man roster with the signing of Cato, the Maroons were forced to release Teddy McGeen.

“Teddy McGeen was released by the Chatham Maroons,” said Cumming. “We have to maintain a 23 man roster and when Dede returned to Chatham from the Toronto Lakeshore Patriots we needed to make room on our roster. Teddy McGeen is a very classy young man. He handled himself with confidence and did everything we asked of him. We wish him the best.”

Chatham takes on the Lambton Shores Predators Saturday.
co founder of the pylon chant!!!!!!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

brad 36 wrote:done deal dede is now a maroon

Yes!!! :) :) :)