Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

flyers2011

Conference Champion Flyers turn to Youth - Windsor Star

Post by flyers2011 »

Jim Parker
Sep 10, 2014 - 8:22 PM EDT
Last Updated: Sep 10, 2014 - 11:52 PM EDT

The Leamington Flyers knew there would be a cost to last year’s championship run.

Leamington was hit hard by graduation after last season’s first-ever Western Conference title in the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League.

“We lost (players) to age, but I think we’re in better shape than what I thought we would be after last season ended,” Flyers head coach Tony Piroski said. “It didn’t look bright when last season finished, but I like the new guys we’ve had come in.”

Leamington makes its home debut Thursday against the St. Thomas Stars. Game time at the Leamington Kinsmen Recreation Complex is 7 p.m. and the cupboard won’t be barren for the Flyers, who have a veteran presence at every position on the ice. Trevor Wheaton, who shared the Roy Caley Award for lowest team goals-against average, is expected to see the bulk of the action in net.

“We look for him to have a big year,” Piroski said.

The 19-year-old Wheaton was 16-6 last season with a 2.49 goals-against average and .911 save percentage.

“I think we’ve got a good team, so I don’t feel that much pressure,” said Wheaton, who will have Toledo’s Michael Barrett as his backup. “A lot of good guys came out of camp and filled positions.”

The Flyers get a trio of veterans back on defence led by fourth-year man Jacob McGhee. Blaine Bechard and Ryan Muzzin also return while J.P. Grineau can fill in at the back or play up front as needed by the team.

Leamington added Tom Virban, who played junior C in Wheatley last season, Zak Parlette, who was playing high school a year ago, and Alex Derkson, who played with Detroit Victory Honda’s midget team, will debut on defence.

“I think, as season goes on, they’ll keep getting better,” Piroski said. “I like the personalities and I think some of them have the ability to put the puck in the net.”

Leamington lost five of its top six scorers on offence and that could be the biggest challenge for the team.

“We weren’t that good (at scoring) last year,” Piroski joked. “I like everything about what we have to start.”

Chris Scott was fourth in team scoring last year and had 14 goals and 46 points in 43 games.

Mitch Amante, who had 36 points in 39 games, also returns for a fourth season and was named captain. Colin Moore, who topped the team in hits last season, also returns along with Cale Allen. London Knights draft pick Eric Henderson, who had a strong playoff run with the team, will return as well as Alex Friesen, who was in camp with the Kitchener Rangers.

Toledo’s Matthew Opblinger joins the team along Windsor midgets product Zackary Guilbeault, Wheatley junior C product Cale Phibbs, Kyle Perkowski, who also played for Victory Honda, Blake Rutckyj, who played junior C for Amherstburg, and Phil Janikowski, who played junior C for Essex, will all get a chance up front.

“We look really skilled up front and maybe even a little faster,” Wheaton said. “We have great leadership from the guys coming.

“It’s weird seeing all the new faces and it will take a while to get used to everyone, but I think we’re a good all-around team.”

jparker@windsorstar.com or Twitter @winstarparker

Game preview

WHO: Leamington Flyers (37-10-2 last season) vs. St. Thomas Stars (20-26-3 last season)
WHAT: GOJHL Western Conference home opener
WHEN: Tonight, 7:10 p.m.
WHERE: Leamington Kinsmen Recreation Complex
TICKETS: $9 adults, $7 seniors, students and youths and $5 for children under 12.
QUICK START: The Flyers opened the season with 6-4 loss in Sarnia to the Legionnaires Tuesday.
Jim Parker
End of a era in Leamington