Changes to GOJHL Blog

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

Changes to GOJHL Blog

Post by RocketGirl »

There were some changes to the blog that took place this morning. Check it out here.

http://localsportsreport.com/gojhl/2014/05/26/changes/
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Blades

Re: Changes to GOJHL Blog

Post by Blades »

Congrats on the new "admin" status! Well deserved.
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

Wow!! It must be nice that the West gets to keep it's own forum while the 'Shoe gets shoved on the new GOJHL forum. The new forum is absolutely horrible. No dates or time of posts, only the name of who started the original thread. I doubt anybody will post on that forum especially since nobody has been notified of the changes made. What a joke.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

You will need to speak to Kevin about that. I asked him how people were going to know to go to the new site and he said he had that taken care of.

The reason it's part of the GOJHL blog is because no one is running the Shoe blog. One of the options was to make a Shoe blog with hopes that someone would come along and run it, but it just made more sense for it to become the GOJHL blog.

Again, if you have issues with it, you will need to speak with Kevin about it.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Blades

Post by Blades »

If it’s any consolation, I can’t log in with my old username and password. Gahhhh.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

zantimisfit wrote:Wow!! It must be nice that the West gets to keep it's own forum while the 'Shoe gets shoved on the new GOJHL forum. The new forum is absolutely horrible. No dates or time of posts, only the name of who started the original thread. I doubt anybody will post on that forum especially since nobody has been notified of the changes made. What a joke.
I have to agree.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Blades

Post by Blades »

zantimisfit wrote:Wow!! It must be nice that the West gets to keep it's own forum while the 'Shoe gets shoved on the new GOJHL forum. The new forum is absolutely horrible. No dates or time of posts, only the name of who started the original thread. I doubt anybody will post on that forum especially since nobody has been notified of the changes made. What a joke.
The West keeps its own forum (this one) because our owner does all the work of maintaining it on servers of his choice. The GH forum always seemed to be part of bigger entity and now it's just gotten bigger. His site (Local Sports Report) so I guess he can decide how he wants to run it and what he wants to include.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Zan, you're just afraid of change. You're afraid that your forum will become a general discussion about the entire league. Nothing is going to change about your forum. It is still going to be the GHL forum, as the title states. People are still going to post about the Shoe. Those of us that post about the West, we're going to continue to do so over here. The only change is the url address and that you now access it through the GOJHL Blog.
Queen of the GOJHL

zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

Zantimisfit is afraid of nuthin'. What I hate is the horrible new forum which includes it's setup and overall look. If Kevin wants to run it that way then he has every right to do so, but I doubt very much if I'll be posting over there this year. Maybe I'll just stick to this forum and run down the Strathroy Rockettes every chance I get. :D
Blades

Post by Blades »

zantimisfit wrote:Zantimisfit is afraid of nuthin'. What I hate is the horrible new forum which includes it's setup and overall look. If Kevin wants to run it that way then he has every right to do so, but I doubt very much if I'll be posting over there this year. Maybe I'll just stick to this forum and run down the Strathroy Rockettes every chance I get. :D
Or .... maybe if you play nice :wink: someone over here might provide a sub-forum for you and others who are like minded. Are there others over there who are unhappy with the new forum and it's look?

I know I've read where someone would like to see a Jr C forum added but there is a Jr C forum out there ... somewhere ... I think I read.

I would leave that final decision to our owner as to how many forums he'd like to see running here. I'm sure he doesn't mind having additional forums but would like to at least see some chatter. The MidWest was created for that purpose and there hasn't been a lot of chatter there over the entire time it's been there.

So administrator, what do you think? Time to add a couple new forums?
LincBrass

Post by LincBrass »

Blades wrote:
zantimisfit wrote:Zantimisfit is afraid of nuthin'. What I hate is the horrible new forum which includes it's setup and overall look. If Kevin wants to run it that way then he has every right to do so, but I doubt very much if I'll be posting over there this year. Maybe I'll just stick to this forum and run down the Strathroy Rockettes every chance I get. :D
Or .... maybe if you play nice :wink: someone over here might provide a sub-forum for you and others who are like minded. Are there others over there who are unhappy with the new forum and it's look?

I know I've read where someone would like to see a Jr C forum added but there is a Jr C forum out there ... somewhere ... I think I read.

I would leave that final decision to our owner as to how many forums he'd like to see running here. I'm sure he doesn't mind having additional forums but would like to at least see some chatter. The MidWest was created for that purpose and there hasn't been a lot of chatter there over the entire time it's been there.

So administrator, what do you think? Time to add a couple new forums?
Why not just make this forum a gojhl forum? There's only ever 1-3 threads actually going at any given time, on this one. It was pretty dead this past season. Also, it a lot of the same contributors, that post about each conference, so they can have time saved, by only having to log on this one. Those that don't want to read something about one of the other conferences, can easily ignore a thread. There are only 27 teams.
go west
zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

LincBrass wrote:
Why not just make this forum a gojhl forum? There's only ever 1-3 threads actually going at any given time, on this one. It was pretty dead this past season. Also, it a lot of the same contributors, that post about each conference, so they can have time saved, by only having to log on this one. Those that don't want to read something about one of the other conferences, can easily ignore a thread. There are only 27 teams.
Great idea LincBrass. We're all supposedly one league anyway, right? Makes perfect sense to me. The only problem I see is that the majority of the posters on the old forum probably don't even know it's been changed unless they are already members on this forum which may result in a slow start in postings regarding the 'Shoe.
Blades

Post by Blades »

zantimisfit wrote:
LincBrass wrote:
Great idea LincBrass. We're all supposedly one league anyway, right? Makes perfect sense to me. The only problem I see is that the majority of the posters on the old forum probably don't even know it's been changed unless they are already members on this forum which may result in a slow start in postings regarding the 'Shoe.
Well you could invite them over here if they are dissatisfied over there.
DMighton

Post by DMighton »

Blades, I was who said I'd like to see a Jr. C sub-forum. There are forums for the GLJHL, WOJCHL, GMOHL, EBJCHL, and COJCHL, but there is no forum for Niagara, Mid-Western, or the SOJHL... so I'd like to see a either just a broad Jr. C forum... or one for the three leagues that don't have one.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

New forum sux!

I once again tried to log into the new forum for the Shoe. My password doesn't work. Why try to fix a forum that isn't broken???

I give up on it, I'm sure others will as well. Sorry Kevin, but switch it back or shove it up your you know what. :smt018
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Would you like me to change your password and see if that works? I could also delete your profile and you could start all over again. Let me know.
Queen of the GOJHL

Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:Would you like me to change your password and see if that works? I could also delete your profile and you could start all over again. Let me know.
Just frustrated RG, I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. Either I'll start over on that forum, or I just won't use it. Hope you've had a great Summer. :)
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I've been thinking of new features to have on the blog this season, or what I can add to my game summaries, someone has requested a list of fights each week. Is there anything that you guys would like to see? I can see if I can fit it in, or develop the idea any further.

If I were to get player profiles done from various players on the teams, is that something you'd be interested in seeing? That's currently one of my new ideas. I just have to reach out to all the teams and see if they'll send me players that I can interview.
Queen of the GOJHL

ah-chielove

Post by ah-chielove »

Definitely NOT interested in hearing about or seeing anything concerning fights. Ugh! That's not what hockey is about to me. Thuggery and neanderthal type of behaviour shouldn't be encouraged or celebrated by repeated recognition IMO.

How about the top 5 plays of the week instead? Doesn't have to be just scoring highlights either - could be defensive plays, well executed (clean) checks, goalie saves, even great officiated games (I think refs should get some kudos now and again) etc.

Or if that isn't do-able, how about the "Game to Watch For" each week? Pick one game that shows promise of an interesting contest and give reasons why it is one to watch, inviting comments to support it or not.

Your suggestion of player profiles is an excellent one. Definitely something which I would be interested in reading.

- Ah-chie
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I like the idea of the top 5 plays of the week, but seeing how I don't make it to every game, that would be hard for me to do. I could do it for the games I'm actually at. Of course, it could spark others to post what they thought the play of the week was.

I could add to the game summaries a spot for the game I think would be the game of the week/weekend to watch that's coming up. Let me develop that one further.

Keep the ideas coming. My goal is to make the blog the best that it can be and to get some fan interaction. I have had the admin of the blog add a link to this forum, so that people can find it.
Queen of the GOJHL

joehockey

Post by joehockey »

I agree with no fighting, it's not a part of the Jr game anymore and it's not needed. Additional information on players and coaches would be nice. Other background personel like standout volunteers or game day operations people would be nice too. You see these people in every rink working and it'd be nice to know some more about them and how long they've been around their teams. Anything original is always good!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:I've been thinking of new features to have on the blog this season, or what I can add to my game summaries, someone has requested a list of fights each week. Is there anything that you guys would like to see? I can see if I can fit it in, or develop the idea any further.

If I were to get player profiles done from various players on the teams, is that something you'd be interested in seeing? That's currently one of my new ideas. I just have to reach out to all the teams and see if they'll send me players that I can interview.
I like looking at player profiles and think that would be a great idea.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I'm working on the profile aspect and have reached out to the teams to get profiles from them. This week, I'm starting with mine because I figure this way you can learn more about me than what you think you already know.

I've tried to come up with questions that I thought would be interesting, but I just wondered if you guys have any questions for me, if there's anything about me that you want to know. Post below or send me a PM. I'm planning to post mine on Tuesday morning.
Queen of the GOJHL